Pukkelpop 2014

TheNewUnion

Is The National big enough in Belgium to headline Pukkelpop? Such a cheap headliner imo (like The XX last year)

No doubt about that. They already subbed in 2010 and their popularity wasn't even at its height at that point. Last year they succesfully subbed Werchter in front of 55-60 thousand people + easily sold out an arena show. Compared to The XX last year this wouldn't be a risk at all.

Found out the other day that Despacio is actually a collab between James Murphy and 2manydjs so perhaps they will feature as part of that?

Apparently someone posted a comment citing QOTSA, The National and Outkast/Macklemore & Ryan Lewis as the headliners on the official PKP Facebook page and the comment was removed. They've also used a video someone made for Alt-J in order to promote the competition thing they're running. I did one at the weekend for Deadmau5 and the official twitter account 'favourited' it today. All these things may or may not mean anything but I guess we'll know for certain this time next week!

My predictions:

QOTSA

The National

Seasick Steve

Outkast or Mackemore or both of them

Courteneers

Frank Turner

Raised Fist

Turbonegro

Red Fang

Bombus

Deadmau 5

2 many DJs

Pendulum

Calvin Harris

Portishead

Lily Allen

Neutral Milk Hotel

Dizzee Rascal

Marilyn Manson

Jimmy Eat World

Apologies I Have None

Blood Red Shoes

Anti-Flag

As I Watch You From Afar

Warpaint

AFI

Parkway Drive

Two Door Cinema Club

Giuda

The Skints

Found out the other day that Despacio is actually a collab between James Murphy and 2manydjs so perhaps they will feature as part of that?

Apparently someone posted a comment citing QOTSA, The National and Outkast/Macklemore & Ryan Lewis as the headliners on the official PKP Facebook page and the comment was removed. They've also used a video someone made for Alt-J in order to promote the competition thing they're running. I did one at the weekend for Deadmau5 and the official twitter account 'favourited' it today. All these things may or may not mean anything but I guess we'll know for certain this time next week!

I was thinking the Despacio project as well, but apparently the whole system is optimized for small clubs and tents up to 1000 people. So it'd require a new tent or something.

QOTSA - The National - Outkast is very plausible and likeable, although I'm still hoping for a surprise (perhaps in the subs?).

V Festival line up out. Despite booking Killers for the 3d time in 6 years there are some good names in the rest off the list, many off whom I'd take at Pukkelpop.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/lineups.php

Put me down for Janelle, Blondie, The Human League,Rudimental, Manics, Aloe Blac, Elbow, Embrace and a few more.

Edited by TheNewUnion

I was thinking the Despacio project as well, but apparently the whole system is optimized for small clubs and tents up to 1000 people. So it'd require a new tent or something.

QOTSA - The National - Outkast is very plausible and likeable, although I'm still hoping for a surprise (perhaps in the subs?).

Although it's a good bit bigger than 1,000 capacity I could still see them doing this in the Castello. Would definitely fit the late night vibe of the place, although Despacio is disco based and I'd personally rather something a bit more full on as we enter into the night hours!

What do the local forums say about next monday announcement?

Haven't picked up too much tbh. The main concern they seem to have is that Editors might play!

V Festival line up out. Despite booking Killers for the 3d time in 6 years there are some good names in the rest off the list, many off whom I'd take at Pukkelpop.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/lineups.php

Put me down for Janelle, Blondie, The Human League,Rudimental, Manics, Aloe Blac, Elbow, Embrace and a few more.

For the first time in a while I'm also looking at some of the names lower down the V bill and hoping they turn up at PKP. I'd happily take Elbow, Rudimental, Sub Focus, The Wailers, M People, The Wonder Stuff, The Rifles and, of course, Chic and Nile Rogers. Think we are also likely to get Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Example, Lily Allen, MSP, John Newman, Ella Eyre and maybe the Magic Numbers as well.

Beck - QOTSA - Netsky

Portishead - The National - Calvin Harris

Macklemore - Outkast - Deadmau5

Perhaps main stage being something like this? Or does the V Festival announcement change the game:

Outkast - QOTSA - Netsky

Portishead/Beck - The National - Calvin Harris

Macklemore - The Killers - Deadmau5

Elbow is ruled out though, their June arena date has been announced as 'their only Belgian date for this Summer'. I'm expecting the likes of The Wailers/Chic/Lily Allen/Ed Sheeran to show up at festivals such as Rock Werchter, Lokerse Feesten and Suikerrock. Pukkelpop usually shares some acts with V, but not that much either.

Edited by Dietediet

Last year at BKS, Portishead specifically requested to play in a tent rather than on the Main stage, as it's more intimate for their sound, so if they show up it'd probably be headlining the Marquee.

Much as I want Neutral Milk Hotel, their window is closing and there's only the Friday left for them. They're in Scotland on the Thursday, London on the Saturday. Would they detour to Belgium for a day when they're in the UK the rest of the weekend? I hope so, but I'm not so sure any more.

Pukkelpop historically doesn't seem to book the reformed cash-in 80s bands that are regulars on the UK festival circuit, so I'd be surprised (but very pleasantly so) to see The Specials and The Wonder Stuff show up. Or The Human League for that matter.