Pukkelpop 2014

TheNewUnion

Looking at the other events around the same time, looking a safe bet that QOTSA will be playing (which I'd be happy with), I'd also assumed Blink 182 will play (again - they only played 3 ago if memory serves) and Skrillex (whose work I am unfamiliar with).

Line up came in March last year, I think it was the 18th.

Suppose it had to happen sooner or later but yesterday was the first Rock Werchter announcement that left me feeling a little bit gutted. Had high hopes of Moderat, SBTRKT and Rudimental all playing PKP, although this news doesn't necessarily rule them all out. There's always 5-10 acts that play both festivals each year (there were 6 in 2013, if you count Rudimental doing a DJ set at PKP) so it will be interesting to see who does that this time round.

Was another Frequency Festival announcement today to give a few more clues of who we may get. The interesting thing is they've already got a number of bands who are are confirmed for RW and today they added Bastille, Imagine Dragons, Babyshambles and Biffy Clyro. Think we will get Fritz Kalkbrenner, Brody Dalle and Woodkid from the new names. Sonne Mond Sterne (big dance festival in Germany the week before PKP) have also recently added to their line up. In terms of their live acts (it's not really worth speculating on DJs), we may well see Feed Me, Netsky and Miss Kitten this summer but I'm really intrigued by Drumsound and Bassline Smith's live show. They've always just DJ'd up until now so would definitely like to see them live.

I looked back at last year's thread and I commented then just how few self confirmations we had at this Stage. This year is something else though as it's hard to believe we are probably just over three weeks away from an announcement and we don't have any names (aside from the probable rumours). There's a few local forums I go on but they have been dead so far. Still think PKP will pull out a few surprises though, despite the almost identical festival line ups we seem to be getting this year. Wonder if the Prince near miss last summer could come in this time round? They won't headline but can see Vampire Weekend quite high up and maybe Jack White too (if RW don't get them first!).

I'm 100% booked and committed, regardless of line-up I'm going! Just hoping they pull something worth paying to see out of the bag. That said, there's always something new to discover and it's always good fun so not overly concerned (particularly as they don't normally go a bundle on "pop" bands like e.g. V Festival, where you could buy a ticket then be deluged with X Factor rejects, Katy Perry, and the like - all of which aren't my cup of team)

Finally picked up a couple of self confirmations today - Camo and Krooked and Tensnake! The former apparently confirmed in an interview and I can't find the exact source for the latter (although he is supposedly playing Saturday). They both DJ and have a live show so will be interesting to see what they are down for. Either way, both will play in one of the Boiler, Dance Hall or Castello.

Right then, guess the act time I suppose. I've flip flopped a lot on my guesses but I'm going all in on the following names in the first batch, as follows:

QOTSA

Janelle

Portishead

Depeche Mode

Skrillex

Outkast

Disclosure

Rudimental

Neil Young (hope rather than expectation)

Kasabian

I'm at a bit of a loss this year to be fair, but most of the above would make me happy (but basically, I want guitars guitars guitars along with this)

Edited by TheNewUnion

I'm sticking with Neil out of hope rather than expectation, the rest of them I'm moderately hopeful of.

Any reason DM are a definite no?

QOTSA, The National would be great then Outkast or someone similar would make a great set of headliners.

(Also, I think Kasabian are a bit meh, but think without the knobhead Brit audience they'd be great)

Edited by TheNewUnion

I'm sticking with Neil out of hope rather than expectation, the rest of them I'm moderately hopeful of.

Any reason DM are a definite no?

QOTSA, The National would be great then Outkast or someone similar would make a great set of headliners.

(Also, I think Kasabian are a bit meh, but think without the knobhead Brit audience they'd be great)

depeche mode arent touring beyond their current dates as they are knackered. coachella, glasto and iow were interested but they just didnt want to continue touring.

Was thinking the first names would be released on 17th March so happy it will be a bit sooner! Got a couple of ideas for the video thing they're doing this year too so would be nice to get on it.

Agree with most of the names already suggested here (aside from the ones that have been ruled out!) but will also throw Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, DeadMau5, Chic & Nile Rogers, The Specials, Lily Allen, Ed Sheeran and (sadly) Calvin Harris into the mix. Still think they will have an ace of some description up their sleeves though and the V names (which are due on Monday) might hold the key. Big rumour there is Justin Timberlake, although I don't think he'll be anywhere near PKP as he's too poppy. Think Jay Z would have fit the bill perfectly but, according to the V Forum, that trail has now gone cold. Traditionally more of the R&L line up play PKP each year so they could still have a few names higher up the bill to offer.

Personally can't wait to find out what DJs we've got, plus the news that Jagwar Ma are playing Sziget (coupled with them so far not being announced for RW) could mean a very welcome return for my Top Band of 2013! :O)

Great shout with the specials Semprini, never seen them so would love that, like TheNewUnion I'm really hoping Neil Young plays but can't see it, sadly. National is good for me seen them a few times and they really pulled off a headline slot at Latitude a few years ago. Would really like tom see The Temples on sunny afternnoon slot. Never seen Kasabian and not a massive fan but think they would do a great job. Even if the line up is Cliff Richard, Jane McDonald the fat bloke who won the x factor I wills till be going.