At The Drive-In

Guest Martino231

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they are playing the same set list as Coachella? Will probably be the same at R & L.

The first day of Spain's Benicassim festival climaxed with a cult Texan post-hardcore band At The Drive-In's first European show in over a decade.

The band last played in Europe in 2001, shortly before they broke up, and announced their reformation at the beginning of this year. Guitarist Omar Rodriguez-Lopez has said the band will produce no new material, describing the reunion as "a nostalgia thing".

In a set largely dominated by the band's breakthrough 2000 album 'Relationship Of Command', frontman Cedric Bixler-Zavala punctuated the band's set with bursts of bizarre humour, dropping an apparent reference to League Of Gentlemen comedy character Papa Lazarou's "Hello Dave" catchphrase and yelling "Seth Letterman? Seth Letterman? Your ride is here."

At the close of the set, he gently mocked the crowd, saying "Oh, I've been waiting an hour to hear 'One Armed Scissor'" before dedicating the band's best-known song to them.

At The Drive-In played:

'Arcarsenal'

'Pattern Against User'

'Chanbara'

'Lopsided'

'Sleepwalk Capsules'

'Napoleon Solo'

'Quarantined'

'Enfilade'

'Metronome Arthritis'

'Catacombs'

'One Armed Scissor'

Edited by she bangs the drums

At their own shows they've played around 15 songs each night so who knows.

Also Omar really doesn't seem to enjoy it, he's more than definitely only doing it for the money.

Actually I've just watched The Mars Volta from Open'er festival last weekend and he doesn't seem much into it there. He must still be depressed, that or he doesn't enjoy bouncing around the stage like a nutter anymore :P

Edited by jonodillieono

Also Omar really doesn't seem to enjoy it, he's more than definitely only doing it for the money.

Actually I've just watched The Mars Volta from Open'er festival last weekend and he doesn't seem much into it there. He must still be depressed, that or he doesn't enjoy bouncing around the stage like a nutter anymore :P

Edited by she bangs the drums

There are silly looking clashes all the time, if ATDI wanted 90 mins then the organisers wouldn't bat an eyelid at creating a partial clash between Enter Shikari and Billy Talent.

Saying that I agree that if they longest set they've played is 15 songs then it does suggest they'll struggle to fill out 90 mins.

Yeah sure, that's what I was agreeing with, not that they'll get a shorter because FR don't want Billy Talent and Enter Shikari to clash.

It does mean that as the days with a 60 min headline slot traditionally have 11 bands that there may be a space free, or they'll just give The Cribs and maybe Mastodon as well some extra time.

Edited by mrtourette

• 1 month later...

I thought they were really good at Leeds and Cedric's voice was amazing.

I cannot believe how few people actually went to see them, the crowd was even smaller than the one for Faith No More, possibly the smallest crowd I saw in the NME all weekend. Must have been 2- 3,000 at the very most, in fact I think there was more people watching Feeder in the Festival Republic tent.

I thought they were really good at Leeds and Cedric's voice was amazing.

I cannot believe how few people actually went to see them, the crowd was even smaller than the one for Faith No More, possibly the smallest crowd I saw in the NME all weekend. Must have been 2- 3,000 at the very most, in fact I think there was more people watching Feeder in the Festival Republic tent.