Sales?

Guest CE6

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I went to Glastonbury in 97 you sent in a cheque for your tickets and either got tickets or not I don't think that it was first come first served some sort of draw, remember going to the cashpoint everyday to see if they'd cashed my cheque and whether I was getting tickets.

I've been to every Glastonbury since '86, and as far as I can remember there's never been a ballot and there's been over-the-counter sales in HMV up-until they went nearly-all-sold-online around ten years ago (tho that still had a buy-by-post option).

I certainly can't remember ever having bought them by post, so I can only guess that you took up that option and there was the possibility that you wouldn't get your tickets because they mighty have sold out before they opened your envelope.

That was great, you'd put in your cheque for the Glastonbury ballot and if you didn't get tickets both Reading and Phoenix wouldn't be sold out so you could pop down to your independant record shop (anyone remember those?) and get a ticket for £60 (!)

Even got one two days before my first festival in 94 and had to pick it up from the on-site box office (remeber that!)

V Festival has NOT sold out!

See tickets still have tickets. Stargreen still have Red Camp tickets!

I used to got to Reading for the full weekends for 5 years straight, but the last two years, I've only gone for the day. Can't be bothered to camp with all the bellends + I've seen every band there before. Seriously, the Friday and Saturday on the mainstage/NME is basically the worst of the last couple of years, combined into one weekend (except for The Cure + Kasabian + ATDI).

They just need to get more nostalgia acts and big american acts (á la Weezer + Limp Bizkit). The Sunday at Reading '10 worked so, so well.

I've bought a ticket for Reading this year, but purely for the 3 main stage headliners and Cancer Bats.

I must admit looking down the line up and going 'Who?' at most of it...maybe that's down to my age these days (30) and being a bit out of touch with what the youngsters are listening too!

I've bought a ticket for Reading this year, but purely for the 3 main stage headliners and Cancer Bats.

I must admit looking down the line up and going 'Who?' at most of it...maybe that's down to my age these days (30) and being a bit out of touch with what the youngsters are listening too!

Edited by Martino231

I've been to every Glastonbury since '86, and as far as I can remember there's never been a ballot and there's been over-the-counter sales in HMV up-until they went nearly-all-sold-online around ten years ago (tho that still had a buy-by-post option).

I certainly can't remember ever having bought them by post, so I can only guess that you took up that option and there was the possibility that you wouldn't get your tickets because they mighty have sold out before they opened your envelope.

Will seriously consider going to a smaller festival now... i have a ticket but might just take a hit and go to Bestival or something and then Eden sessions for Frank Turner.

But again ticket sales are always gonna be slow. 2012 is kind of a blessing in disguise, whether a very shrewd move my the Eavis' at Glasto HQ, i don't know (I know of all the olympics stories etc etc), but there are no NEW or Returning bands really. New Order, Bloc Party (even though they do play R+L regularly) and Stone Roses fine, but lots of bands are writing new albums, have disappeared and there hasn't really been anything emerging for all the lineups to be amazing.. it's that simple.

White Lies would have been superb under Florence this year imo, but they're booked.

Again, New Order wouldda been tremendous under The Cure, but booked...

Nothing against Leeds, it's a weak lineup, and yes it couldda been better, but it's purely a safe lineup, me? I prefer last years, but i'll save judgement until the NME is announced.

Give it 2-3 years, you'll see the best R+L ever, once festivals stop being 'popular', and the small festivals return to being small and not threats..

Leeds 2014 will be superb... bank on it.

Edited by Bobs

Been going since 86!!! My god Neil, how old are you???

46. You're only as old as you feel, which is about 27. Or alternatively you're only as old as the woman you feel ... which was still 27 about 6 years ago but now is 47. :lol::lol:

My kid has gone to every Glasto since he existed, which is a total of 13 in his 15 years. He's soooo blase about it, the doesn't-know-how-lucky-he-is little sod. :lol:

ah, you think it will sell out anyway?

I'm not sure. I think it has a better chance than last year, in part because of bigger ticket-selling bands on the line-up (Foos & Flo), and in part because it's a little less reliant on selling to youngsters who don't have much money (recession, youth unemployment, etc) because of The Cure.

46. You're only as old as you feel, which is about 27. Or alternatively you're only as old as the woman you feel ... which was still 27 about 6 years ago but now is 47. :lol::lol:

My kid has gone to every Glasto since he existed, which is a total of 13 in his 15 years. He's soooo blase about it, the doesn't-know-how-lucky-he-is little sod. :lol:

Call me Mr state the bleeding obivous..... but despite being a great set of headliners.... they all played headline slots last year, 2 of them at the same festival. All my mates who love the Foos saw them at MK bowl... me and My Missus saw the Cure at Bestival and anybody who loves Kasabian has ample chance to see them last year.

That must be a factor in sales?