Boxed (white) wine recommendations

Lakey91

I'm used to drinking warm cans of beer and cider at festivals but my missus only really drinks wine and gin. Looking to get a cooler and freeze some bags of wine for her.

She typically only drinks Marlborough sauvignon blanc so that would be the preferred choice, but alternative dry whites may do.

I've been trawling online reviews but they are a real mixed bag!

Can anyone recommend?

Thanks 😊

11 hours ago, Lakey91 said:

I'm used to drinking warm cans of beer and cider at festivals but my missus only really drinks wine and gin. Looking to get a cooler and freeze some bags of wine for her.

She typically only drinks Marlborough sauvignon blanc so that would be the preferred choice, but alternative dry whites may do.

I've been trawling online reviews but they are a real mixed bag!

Can anyone recommend?

Thanks 😊

19 Crimes do a good boxes red, but only Chardonnay for white! In all the years I’m yet to find a good white. I’ve done a Sainsburys pinot rose which is functional and not disgusting! 

1 hour ago, acidstorm523 said:

19 Crimes do a good boxes red, but only Chardonnay for white! In all the years I’m yet to find a good white. I’ve done a Sainsburys pinot rose which is functional and not disgusting! 

Might have to check out that rose. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Can you not just buy normal bottles and decant into plastic bottles?

That’s exactly what I do with my Château Lafite. 

joking aside, have one of these and it keeps white wine cold too. IMG_2052.thumb.jpeg.7842883741acae5710a2727c170ce259.jpeg

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Can you not just buy normal bottles and decant into plastic bottles?

Yeah to be fair that's probably what we'll end up doing. I just thought a bag of wine would be easier if there was any decent ones available, but doesn't sound too promising.

I usually drink white wine but for festivals will take a lighter red wine box as warm white wine isn’t great. But you can get ice from the co-op if you have a cold box. 

Just now, Rula912 said:

You can’t beat Sainsbury’s house Sauvignon Blanc. £15 a box. Cracking wine at a decent price too

They sell it by the bottle too so you could try a bottle first 😊🥂

20 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

That’s exactly what I do with my Château Lafite. 

joking aside, have one of these and it keeps white wine cold too. IMG_2052.thumb.jpeg.7842883741acae5710a2727c170ce259.jpeg

Can't blow this up and use it as a pillow when it's empty.

Boxes of white wine at Glastonbury have been my go to drink for quite a few years now.

Drinking warm lager or cider all day just bloats me out.  The cans are also very heavy to carry around all day.  Pulling the wine bag out of the box and putting it in a rucksack is a much better option.  Very easy to pass around between friends too.

Yes the wine still gets warm, but if you avoid the cheapest of cheap stuff it normally stays palatable. You can always buy a cold drink from a bar if you need topping up, or a bit of variety.

In terms of choice M&S do a very nice NZ Sauvignon Blanc that I tried the other day.  It's not in a box, it's sold in a heavy duty bag of sorts.

Tesco has served me well in the past for a reasonable NZSB, but someone also introduced us last year to a wine they get from Morisons, it's called La Vieille Ferme.  We had the white and rose version of that by the boxload.  It's got an image of two chickens on the box/bottle.  They may sell it in other supermarkets but I can't say I've looked yet.  The Glastonbury shopping starts next month!

1 hour ago, Jarski75 said:

Boxes of white wine at Glastonbury have been my go to drink for quite a few years now.

Drinking warm lager or cider all day just bloats me out.  The cans are also very heavy to carry around all day.  Pulling the wine bag out of the box and putting it in a rucksack is a much better option.  Very easy to pass around between friends too.

Yes the wine still gets warm, but if you avoid the cheapest of cheap stuff it normally stays palatable. You can always buy a cold drink from a bar if you need topping up, or a bit of variety.

In terms of choice M&S do a very nice NZ Sauvignon Blanc that I tried the other day.  It's not in a box, it's sold in a heavy duty bag of sorts.

Tesco has served me well in the past for a reasonable NZSB, but someone also introduced us last year to a wine they get from Morisons, it's called La Vieille Ferme.  We had the white and rose version of that by the boxload.  It's got an image of two chickens on the box/bottle.  They may sell it in other supermarkets but I can't say I've looked yet.  The Glastonbury shopping starts next month!

I didn't know chicken wine was available in a box!!! Love the rose. Was already planning on freezing a bag (or two) of Aldi rose but will try and find this instead 

On 5/4/2024 at 8:05 PM, Rula912 said:

You can’t beat Sainsbury’s house Sauvignon Blanc. £15 a box. Cracking wine at a decent price too

7 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

M&S do some decent ones including a good rose. 

These were what I was going to say.  The Sainsbury's Sauv Blanc is surprisingly good for the cost.

16 hours ago, thewomble said:

I didn't know chicken wine was available in a box!!! Love the rose. Was already planning on freezing a bag (or two) of Aldi rose but will try and find this instead 

Ah another chicken wine connoisseur I see 🤣 

not adding recommendations, just support for the concept of white wine in a box:

Pros

- when you need to quickly drink off a hangover, it's the best all round balance of getting drunk vs ease of drinking (quicker to get drunk than beer but wont make you throw up like a spirit hitting your throat)

- takes up less weight than an extra crate of beer

- bags of wine are fun. good for sharing.

- spilling white wine on yourself - fine, noone notices, you'll smell fragrant. spilling red wine on yourself - stains, you look like you've thrown up blood.

Cons

- first sip of warm white wine of the day is generally disgusting, however you're fine by sip two.

- the worst hangovers

in conclusion, science is in favour

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Physical_graffiti said:

not adding recommendations, just support for the concept of white wine in a box:

Pros

- when you need to quickly drink off a hangover, it's the best all round balance of getting drunk vs ease of drinking (quicker to get drunk than beer but wont make you throw up like a spirit hitting your throat)

- takes up less weight than an extra crate of beer

- bags of wine are fun. good for sharing.

- spilling white wine on yourself - fine, noone notices, you'll smell fragrant. spilling red wine on yourself - stains, you look like you've thrown up blood.

Cons

- first sip of warm white wine of the day is generally disgusting, however you're fine by sip two.

- the worst hangovers

in conclusion, science is in favour

Additional con which may be specific to me.  Getting pissed on white wine makes me snore, which then leads to me getting punched in the back by Mrs 4AM.  Ergo, white wine causes bruising and back pain.

• Like 1