Two Door Cinema Club

Alex DeLarge

Right, this might be a bit of a strange one.

https://www.stereogum.com/2209281/ariel-pink-and-winston-marshall-went-on-tucker-carlson-to-promote-christmas-song-about-hunter-bidens-laptop/news/

Alex Trimble from Two Door Cinema Club teamed up with Ariel Pink (who attended the January 6th Capitol Attack) and Winston Marshall (ex-Mumford and Sons twat who has a podcast where he interviews such intellectuals as Candace Owens and Lawrence Fox).

It's a song about the Hunter Biden laptop story, with lyrics like:

"Laptop from hell they call it
Laptop, they memory-holed it
Close call, they took it down
No sweat, we’re safe and sound
Laptop from hell they called it
Laptop they memory-holed it
d*ck pics and crack-cocaine
And China and Ukraine"

He also was unable to tour due to not taking the COVID vaccine. Some people have said this is due to him being immunocompromised, but he was touring consistently in countries that didn't requite vaccine passports, so it seems unlikely.

Puts the strangeness of their booking into an even worse perspective. I don't think all musicians should share the same views as me, but I thought it was worth sharing.

5 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Right, this might be a bit of a strange one.

https://www.stereogum.com/2209281/ariel-pink-and-winston-marshall-went-on-tucker-carlson-to-promote-christmas-song-about-hunter-bidens-laptop/news/

Alex Trimble from Two Door Cinema Club teamed up with Ariel Pink (who attended the January 6th Capitol Attack) and Winston Marshall (ex-Mumford and Sons twat who has a podcast where he interviews such intellectuals as Candace Owens and Lawrence Fox).

It's a song about the Hunter Biden laptop story, with lyrics like:

"Laptop from hell they call it
Laptop, they memory-holed it
Close call, they took it down
No sweat, we’re safe and sound
Laptop from hell they called it
Laptop they memory-holed it
d*ck pics and crack-cocaine
And China and Ukraine"

He also was unable to tour due to not taking the COVID vaccine. Some people have said this is due to him being immunocompromised, but he was touring consistently in countries that didn't requite vaccine passports, so it seems unlikely.

Puts the strangeness of their booking into an even worse perspective. I don't think all musicians should share the same views as me, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Who cares? If you like the music go see them. If you don't, go watch something else.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, GmasterWomble said:

Who cares? If you like the music go see them. If you don't, go watch something else.

You must be lost. 

This is a discussion forum about glastonbury - in which someone posted about a band playing glastonbury.

If you don't like it go and post somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, GmasterWomble said:

You know what I'm going to say don't you?

If you don't care, why comment?

He didn't just 'go on a podcast', he's been working with someone who stormed the capitol...

Edited by Alex DeLarge
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, GmasterWomble said:

My discussion point is if you don't like the band or question their political views or "questionable ethics" don't go see them. Lifes too short to get upset over someone going on a podcast.

What point do you think you're making here? Why shouldn't someone know something about a band's background or a singer's political views/beliefs? It's in the public domain that he wrote this song so why shouldn't it be discussed and who are you to tell someone that it shouldn't matter to them when it comes to consuming/supporting their art?

I didn't know about this but it does make me view him in a different light. 
Mainly I think it's completely embarrassing that he contributed to that song - and that it took 3 people to write it. Imagine putting your name against that, what a tool.

1 minute ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Shame.  I knew the Mumford bloke was a bit of a twat but I don't like their music, so whatever.

At least it gave us potentially the funniest wikipedia page of all time:

"Winston Aubrey Aladar deBalkan Marshall was born in Wandsworth, London, on 20 December 1987,to Sir Paul Marshall, a British tycoon who co-founded the Marshall Wace hedge fund and is the co-owner of GB News, and Sabina de Balkany, from a genteel European family."

"He was inspired to play banjo after seeing O Brother, Where Art Thou?, switching to folk music and wearing his hair in dreadlocks. Referring to his youth exploits, he saw himself as a trustafarian"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

At least it gave us potentially the funniest wikipedia page of all time:

"Winston Aubrey Aladar deBalkan Marshall was born in Wandsworth, London, on 20 December 1987,to Sir Paul Marshall, a British tycoon who co-founded the Marshall Wace hedge fund and is the co-owner of GB News, and Sabina de Balkany, from a genteel European family."

"He was inspired to play banjo after seeing O Brother, Where Art Thou?, switching to folk music and wearing his hair in dreadlocks. Referring to his youth exploits, he saw himself as a trustafarian"

Yeah that is great

It's very conflicting these days.

I'm sure I've been to bands who have some monsters in the closet that I don't know about. Maybe if social media had existed back then, could have brought issues to light.

I'm always quite torn on the Artist v Art, ethics conversation. Kanye is always the best example I find when talking about with friends. Can I still listen to his old work but ignore the newer music he releases? Should I not listen to anything of his at all?

Arcade Fire's Will Butler had some allegations a while back, I didn't pay too much attention but I know there's something there. 

Would I actively pay a ticket for a show/merch? No. Would I see them on the farm? Maybe if nothing else is on.

I didn't know about these recent TDCC issues. I probably don't have them at the top of my must see, but if they played at a time with nothing else on I might consider it. If I was there I'd probably tell my friends I'm with what you've told us, spread awareness. Artist v Art again. 

But then you look around & some artists with terrible reputations have sold out stadium shows. The public often just don't care. So then you're stuck in your own personal dilemma, fighting an uphill battle. Like separating your hard and soft plastics or going vegan. Believing in your moral compass, amidst a majority of the world who dgaf.

On the one hand, this is an older story, given I distinctly recall this being brought up at the time and while it did get some queries, it didn't seem to gain as much traction. If anything, their last US tour seemed to be their biggest so far and they're still getting decent crowds.

On the other, it's a very odd past-time to being making MAGA Christmas music, and I've noted he doesn't seem to have given many if any interviews since then - most of the press for the last Two Door Cinema Club album was done by other members of the band.

On 4/21/2024 at 5:13 PM, Alex DeLarge said:

As I recall, it was a handful of shows in Brazil in 2022 with the official story being that for medical reasons, Alex wasn't cleared to take the vaccine.

Clearly it's a contrast to 2011 when there was a rumour President Obama was enough of a fan that he brought all the tickets to a show they were doing in DC.

On 4/22/2024 at 12:38 PM, Acid Loafers said:

It's very conflicting these days.

I'm sure I've been to bands who have some monsters in the closet that I don't know about. Maybe if social media had existed back then, could have brought issues to light.

I'm always quite torn on the Artist v Art, ethics conversation. Kanye is always the best example I find when talking about with friends. Can I still listen to his old work but ignore the newer music he releases? Should I not listen to anything of his at all?

Arcade Fire's Will Butler had some allegations a while back, I didn't pay too much attention but I know there's something there. 

Would I actively pay a ticket for a show/merch? No. Would I see them on the farm? Maybe if nothing else is on.

I didn't know about these recent TDCC issues. I probably don't have them at the top of my must see, but if they played at a time with nothing else on I might consider it. If I was there I'd probably tell my friends I'm with what you've told us, spread awareness. Artist v Art again. 

But then you look around & some artists with terrible reputations have sold out stadium shows. The public often just don't care. So then you're stuck in your own personal dilemma, fighting an uphill battle. Like separating your hard and soft plastics or going vegan. Believing in your moral compass, amidst a majority of the world who dgaf.

without fully going into ranking weirdos, i think the two door guy blabbing on about covid etc is not as high on my avoid list as Win Butler for instance

Your right though about a lot of people just not caring, only need to look at Chris Brown's tour to see that

3 hours ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Them headlining the other is a strange placement yeah, but you're saying TDCC and Idles aren't big enough to even play the other?

think they more meant TDCC are past it and should be playing in Woodsies or something (ala Jamie T)

5 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

And my point is they're a truck sized festival headliner, hardly past it.

And I'm not even a fan...

I don't disagree they should be on other just trying to explain the logic behind what they said