Change of ownership for SeeTickets

Paul ™

CTS EVENTIM TO ACQUIRE VIVENDI’S TICKETING AND FESTIVAL BUSINESS

German live entertainment business CTS Eventim is set to acquire French media group Vivendi’s ticketing business See Tickets, along with its festival division consisting of 11 events.

https://accessaa.co.uk/cts-eventim-acquires-vivendis-ticketing-and-festival-business/

15 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

CTS EVENTIM TO ACQUIRE VIVENDI’S TICKETING AND FESTIVAL BUSINESS

German live entertainment business CTS Eventim is set to acquire French media group Vivendi’s ticketing business See Tickets, along with its festival division consisting of 11 events.

https://accessaa.co.uk/cts-eventim-acquires-vivendis-ticketing-and-festival-business/

thats about the 5th change of owner for see since i started efestivals. eventim came to bristol to  see me when they first setup in the uk,  they were dead keen to get festival ticket business (i think because of the ticket volumes.)

Eventim are a huge, wealthy and quite slick business.  I'd see this as a positive for See's capabilities rather than anything else.

34 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Hopefully won’t mean any changes to ticketing process … I presume that is dictated by Glastonbury anyway 

not sure how its done now, tickets used to be handled for glastonbury by robert richards , who passed away a few years ago. i wouldn't be surprised if eventim try to get the glastonbury ticket business, as i know they were very keen to get festival  tickets business when they first set up in the uk. a major event like Glastonbury would help get them better known, and trusted  - cos i reckon doing glastonbury tickets has been fantastic in establishing seetickets as a trusted place to buy.

when seetickets first did glastonbury most people were terrified of doing online transactions,  because their credit card details would get stolen.

43 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Hopefully won’t mean any changes to ticketing process … I presume that is dictated by Glastonbury anyway 

I'd assume that ultimately this will mean a complete technology change, with Eventim introducing their own technology.

The See systems are quite antiquated in some ways, as they're pretty much a direct evolution from the systems they were using when Way Ahead first started selling online over 25 years ago. Even the GFL system is pretty much a rudimentary customer database nailed onto the regular See backend.

GFL may have preferences on how the ticket process works, but ultimately that'll have to be within the parameter that the relevant ticket agency is willing to provide as doing anything fully bespoke comes with a cost.

26 minutes ago, incident said:

I'd assume that ultimately this will mean a complete technology change, with Eventim introducing their own technology.

The See systems are quite antiquated in some ways, as they're pretty much a direct evolution from the systems they were using when Way Ahead first started selling online over 25 years ago. Even the GFL system is pretty much a rudimentary customer database nailed onto the regular See backend.

GFL may have preferences on how the ticket process works, but ultimately that'll have to be within the parameter that the relevant ticket agency is willing to provide as doing anything fully bespoke comes with a cost.

the system with see is fully bespoke, i'm not aware of anywhere else using photos on tickets. probably not hugely costly to design as it seemed to evolve with sees ability to handle very high traffic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neil said:

the system with see is fully bespoke, i'm not aware of anywhere else using photos on tickets. probably not hugely costly to design as it seemed to evolve with sees ability to handle very high traffic.

"Fully bespoke" is very arguable.

The customer/photo database definitely is bespoke. But the more complex parts of the system - the asset inventory, order processing etc hook into the regular See backend.

2 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

The one thing you can guarantee from this is that Eventim will update See's systems to support dynamic ticket pricing. 

I think it’s safe to say that dynamic ticket pricing is not relevant to Glasto ticket sales. 

1 hour ago, incident said:

Have you seen eventims ticket site on the apollo?!

They will switch that to see's if anyone - theirs is miles better.

Glasto's is a whole different story.

19 minutes ago, gfa said:

Have you seen eventims ticket site on the apollo?!

They will switch that to see's if anyone - theirs is miles better.

Glasto's is a whole different story.

Nope, admittedly I've got little knowledge of the Eventim systems so that they'd be the preferred choice was an assumption on my part.

I do have a very strong knowledge of the See systems, and based on that would say that if they're considered the technologically superior of the two systems, then that would indicate the combined operations have some problematic technical debt to deal with.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

I think it’s safe to say that dynamic ticket pricing is not relevant to Glasto ticket sales. 

Lets hope it never is, but it may be for everything else that See sells 😞

3 hours ago, incident said:

"Fully bespoke" is very arguable.

The customer/photo database definitely is bespoke. But the more complex parts of the system - the asset inventory, order processing etc hook into the regular See backend.

thne more complex bits will be joining all the lines to make the pnoto/registration requirements fit with the see backend for ticket selling. lots of " if this then that").

33 minutes ago, Neil said:

thne more complex bits will be joining all the lines to make the pnoto/registration requirements fit with the see backend for ticket selling. lots of " if this then that").

Not in the way that they've implemented it.

I think it may be worth considering the possibility that I know more on this subject than I'm prepared to post on here.

21 minutes ago, incident said:

Not in the way that they've implemented it.

I think it may be worth considering the possibility that I know more on this subject than I'm prepared to post on here.

Even from the outside it's easy to see how it evolved over time.

6 hours ago, incident said:

Nope, admittedly I've got little knowledge of the Eventim systems so that they'd be the preferred choice was an assumption on my part.

I do have a very strong knowledge of the See systems, and based on that would say that if they're considered the technologically superior of the two systems, then that would indicate the combined operations have some problematic technical debt to deal with.

Seetickets / Gigsandtours is excellent i think.

By far my preferred ticket site - maybe its not technically great or something but for user experience its great! way better than TM

I'm not on about glastonbury - thats 0.5% of their business if that

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, incident said:

If it's a german company I'm not so sure, know people over there who say printing out tickets is still pretty common place/required rather than use mobile scans.

34 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Who remembers Aloud.com? Was that a Seetickets site? Fun and games in 2004 on that site…

Yes Aloud/Wayahead went on to become SeeTickets (Or as it was called Don'tSeeTickets that year!)

1 hour ago, Paul ™ said:

Yes Aloud/Wayahead went on to become SeeTickets (Or as it was called Don'tSeeTickets that year!)

I thought Aloud was separate from Wayahead? I seem to recall Aloud being something to do with Q magazine as well??Or did Wayahead and Aloud merge to become See?

1 hour ago, Paul ™ said:

WA became See, following a merger with a company that did West End tickets.

Aloud was owned by the publisher of Q magazine, and was a white label version of WA/See - much like Ents24 is today.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Who remembers Aloud.com? Was that a Seetickets site? Fun and games in 2004 on that sitae…

Aloud.com was just a front end to seetickets.

2 hours ago, incident said:

WA became See, following a merger with a company that did West End tickets.

Aloud was owned by the publisher of Q magazine, and was a white label version of WA/See - much like Ents24 is today.

See offered efestivals a white label front end back when internet purchasing was a new thing I turned it down thinking see's reputation would be better for user trust for buying tickets. With hindsight I think that was the right choice.