UK Politics

kalifire

Really good thread on what Labour's employment law changes will look like...

TLDR, big changes, but massively watered down from the previous version

15 minutes ago, sheffinghell said:

Really good thread on what Labour's employment law changes will look like...

TLDR, big changes, but massively watered down from the previous version

This is really sh*tty. Especially the changes around in-sourcing and minimum standards for bidding for contracts.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Another case of why come up with this sh*t in first place if just going to water it down and ultimately end up disappointing everyone.

I think its partly that noone expected Labour to be in this position 6 months before this election. In 2021 Starmer was ready to resign after losing the Hartlepool byelection. Everyone thought he would be like Kinnock - clean up the party and give way to someone like Blair. Now he's going to win the lobbyists and Blairites are muscling in. I'm not absolving Starmer by the way. It's being done because he wants it.

11 minutes ago, lazyred said:

I think its partly that noone expected Labour to be in this position 6 months before this election. In 2021 Starmer was ready to resign after losing the Hartlepool byelection. Everyone thought he would be like Kinnock - clean up the party and give way to someone like Blair. Now he's going to win the lobbyists and Blairites are muscling in. I'm not absolving Starmer by the way. It's being done because he wants it.

he wanted something different a few years ago though? As that bloke says in thread, maybe it's what happens when big ambitions meet practical limitations.

Edited by steviewevie

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

he wanted something different a few years ago though? As that bloke says in thread, maybe it's what happens when big ambitions meet practical limitations.

Practicalities, changed economic situation, and the fact that Starmer and Reeves have been heavily courting business. It's now more of a start than a fait accompli. Same with the Green New Deal plans. I would hope (although won't hold my breath) that some of the stuff might come through later.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

The practical limitations of having a leader with blind faith in the failed neoliberal economic policies of the 1980s, appointing a shadow chancellor who is also committed to the same, and then rigging all the candidate lists to make absolutely sure the backbenches are stuffed with right wingers to make sure it happens.

The labour right’s triple lock on making sure that Labour is a hellish quagmire of outdated sh*t ideas.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Rebecca Long Bailey was that replacement, and may well have won if Labour hadn't got walloped in that 2019 election.

When I said nobody, I should have said nobody competent. She could even convince a decent proportion of Corbynites. We are fortunate she didn’t win, if she had I think Boris would still be PM, Labour split and heading to another election defeat.

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

When I said nobody, I should have said nobody competent. She could even convince a decent proportion of Corbynites. We are fortunate she didn’t win, if she had I think Boris would still be PM, Labour split and heading to another election defeat.

I thought she was alright. 

7 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Labour lead in polls ranges from 15 to 30 points...

remember when people used to say ignore the polls theyre wrong, not wrong: corbyn did bomb.

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Another case of why come up with this sh*t in first place if just going to water it down and ultimately end up disappointing everyone.

what you call watering down is probably throwing out the unworkable, which is a good thing. i don't want a govt of posers i want a govt with solutions.