UK Politics

kalifire

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Canada 1993?

is that where an insurgent party wiped out the conservative party?

googled and i see that it is, the tories will probably embrace the situation because they can use it to delegitimise labour's victory.

i can give you a guaranteed result from thursdays local elections

labour will lose the mayoralty of Bristol, not because someone else will win but because we voted to abolish the mayor cos no one liked him, strong suspicion of him being corrupt and too interested in vanity projects, an underground system when he can't run a decent bus system.

5 hours ago, Neil said:

googled and i see that it is, the tories will probably embrace the situation because they can use it to delegitimise labour's victory.

Can’t see Big Nige making a pact with Sunak like he did with Spaffer?

47 minutes ago, Neil said:

i can give you a guaranteed result from thursdays local elections

labour will lose the mayoralty of Bristol, not because someone else will win but because we voted to abolish the mayor cos no one liked him, strong suspicion of him being corrupt and too interested in vanity projects, an underground system when he can't run a decent bus system.

I don't know about Bristol, but there's a lot of focus on the mayoral elections tomorrow...how much they actually represent what is happening in westminster and what could happen in general election I don't know. But if either Street or Houchen win govt will be pleased, and if both win they will milk it as a sign that they are not dead and can still turn it around before a general election. Will be even worse for Labour if that Driscoll bloke wins wherever he's standing. But, also a not super great night for Labour could be good, stop the complacency setting in etc...but again will make them nervous, cause they are sh*t scared they're going to blow it again like 92/15.

Edited by steviewevie

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I can't see what it actually says tbh, behind a paywall. 

Seems to suggest some of the rights are going to be written as a code of good practice rather than being legally binding.

It'll be like the difference between minimum wage and living wage. One is legally binding the other comapnies can say we do this to look good.

Interested to see what happens to working from home /flex. I believe you already have a right to ask for it but the place I've been doing some work for is knocking back all requests based on "my circumstances changed duirng covid, I had kids , became a carer etc.." I believe the company that has the catering contract for the canteen kicked off that nobody was coming in.

Edited by lost

51 minutes ago, lost said:

It'll be like the difference between minimum wage and living wage. One is legally binding the other comapnies can say we do this to look good.

Interested to see what happens to working from home /flex. I believe you already have a right to ask for it but the place I've been doing some work for is knocking back all requests based on "my circumstances changed duirng covid, I had kids , became a carer etc.." I believe the company that has the catering contract for the canteen kicked off that nobody was coming in.

Don't think wfh is part of any of it. It's all fair pay, zero hour contracts, workers rights etc

My company has a zero wfh policy, but plenty do, including me...

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

headlining Glade?

Raving it up in The Temple hopefully. 

Just now, steviewevie said:

she might be banged up by then.

not a chance. 

She's just purchased a motor home from Nicola Sturgeon to get ready for Glasto.

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

The article doesn’t say that any policies are specifically being changed just a possibility of a ‘consultation’ with businesses.

Its says they will consult on (ie weaken) the single status for employees and drop the fair pay agreements except for social care.