UK Politics

kalifire

17 minutes ago, cellar said:

If you need any more info, Google is your friend. Literally just Google "is Wales a country?" and see what comes up.

what came up was mostly holiday lets.

31 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The obvious answer to this is to cut taxes.

When the right wing press are coming out against the state of things then we all know it is REALLY BAD.

Also great to see X on the pulse of current affairs with it's Covid information link at the bottom

56 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

good luck with that...

as long as there's the resources to get the work done, just getting that work done will create growth. 🙂 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

good luck with that...

... and how is she going to do that. All talk and no substance. If they keep making promises like this and then not being able to deliver (which they probably won't), they will only be in for 5 years.

11 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

... and how is she going to do that. All talk and no substance. If they keep making promises like this and then not being able to deliver (which they probably won't), they will only be in for 5 years.

i don't think its going to be hard to do better.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Who knows what will happen when they get into power...but at moment they seem to be hoping that growth is the answer which will enable them to turn on the spending taps..but where this growth will come from is the problem. Rejoining the EU might help.

How exactly would we rejoin the EU in the next few years?

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

How exactly would we rejoin the EU in the next few years?

Not saying it will happen, just that it would probably help grow the economy if we did. I wouldn't be surprised if we were effectively back in the customs union in a couple of years though.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Not saying it will happen, just that it would probably help grow the economy if we did. I wouldn't be surprised if we were effectively back in the customs union in a couple of years though.

Yeah it would help but the EU gave given no indication that they would let it happen anytime soon, so because of that and other reasons Labour won't put rejoin in their next manifesto. I'm sure in an ideal world Starmer would take us back in, in the next Parliament.

Edited by Ozanne

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Who knows what will happen when they get into power...but at moment they seem to be hoping that growth is the answer which will enable them to turn on the spending taps..but where this growth will come from is the problem. Rejoining the EU might help.

Some of the growth will just naturally come from there being trust in there being a stable government for the next 10 years. Add in that the country will no longer be losing as much money to corruption, and there will just be some natural, inherent growth that's been choked out by the Tories.

Other growth will be triggered just by spending on the basics. If you get more money in the pockets of working classes, they instantly spend it because it's actually really hard emotionally to save when you've been struggling. Whether this is a big night out, on a new fridge when the old one is almost but not quite dead, a nice outfit, or whatever, if money gets into the pockets of people who've been skint and tight, it'll get spent and chain into more growth.

I think after Labour's first budget, regardless of what's in it, there'll be a starting point for some growth. My fear is largely that they don't utilise it enough to turn the spending taps on and trigger more.

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The only way the UK will get meaningful growth in the next few years is to fill vacancies that are stopping sick folks get back to work and to fill vacanices of job those able simply do not wish to do.

There is evidence everywhere that immigrants contribute to the UK economy in a big way.

Someone somewhere who wants to govern needs to be honest and tell people that if we want growth and so to spend on the services we all want then we need immigration.

As nobody will do that as they are scared it will lose them votes then how exactly will the UK get growth now or perhaps ever?

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Some of the growth will just naturally come from there being trust in there being a stable government for the next 10 years. Add in that the country will no longer be losing as much money to corruption, and there will just be some natural, inherent growth that's been choked out by the Tories.

Other growth will be triggered just by spending on the basics. If you get more money in the pockets of working classes, they instantly spend it because it's actually really hard emotionally to save when you've been struggling. Whether this is a big night out, on a new fridge when the old one is almost but not quite dead, a nice outfit, or whatever, if money gets into the pockets of people who've been skint and tight, it'll get spent and chain into more growth.

I think after Labour's first budget, regardless of what's in it, there'll be a starting point for some growth. My fear is largely that they don't utilise it enough to turn the spending taps on and trigger more.

Your point about corruption is spot on, I was going to say similar but around general wastage of public money. Labour will be better with public money and spend it in ways that is actually useful which will then improve public services and generate growth.

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Your point about corruption is spot on, I was going to say similar but around general wastage of public money. Labour will be better with public money and spend it in ways that is actually useful which will then improve public services and generate growth.

I don't buy this at all.

But...I do buy that Labour providing stability and some public investment that drives private investment could lead to some growth...and closer ties to EU...but at same time I think UK economy has so many problems I am not convinced at all that good times are on the way.

Just now, steviewevie said:

I don't buy this at all.

But...I do buy that Labour providing stability and some public investment that drives private investment could lead to some growth...and closer ties to EU...but at same time I think UK economy has so many problems I am not convinced at all that good times are on the way.

To be clear, I don't think good times are on the way, just less sh*t times. There's enough just obvious, basic stuff to change that'll create some improvement.

1 hour ago, Ommadawn said:

Better than the Tories - yes, but we should expect better from Labour.

yeah, but what labour can do is tied up by how they leave things for labour.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The only way the UK will get meaningful growth in the next few years is to fill vacancies that are stopping sick folks get back to work and to fill vacanices of job those able simply do not wish to do.

not quite true  - fixing the funding the tories have cut will grow the economy.

27 minutes ago, Neil said:

not quite true  - fixing the funding the tories have cut will grow the economy.

Maybe, but without tax or growth you cannot fund more and to get growth you need workers who pay tax.

The UK is in a mess and whoever takes over is going to need 15 or more years to try and sort it out. Will the electorate give someone that much time?

I doubt it.

44 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't buy this at all.

What don’t you buy?

I didn’t mean that doing that alone will bring about good times just it will help to generate some growth/slightly better public services.