UK Politics

kalifire

@steviewevie

Following on from last week:

"As three major lenders announce mortgage hikes (one is also lowering some rates), we thought now was a good time to give an overview of the market - and where rates are headed.

Current average fixed mortgage rates are 5.78% for a two-year (up from 5.56% at the end of January) and 5.35% over five years (up from 5.18% in January), according to Moneyfacts."

Banks helping themselves to more profits as they increase rates without any real reason.

On 3/9/2024 at 12:25 PM, Justiceforcedave said:

It's 4 episodes at about 45 min each, so not a quick watch. I thought it was decent and very balanced. They've got a good set of talking heads, though notably Dom Cum, May and Sunak have opted not to be involved (a good call no doubt) and Acuri, Dorres and the haunted victorian pencil are very annoying.

Not a lot you don't know already, but interesting as a complete picture of how much Boris' career aspirations influenced Brexit and how inevitable it was that his stint as Prime Minister was doomed to failure. 

Give the first one a go and see how you feel.

Watched first episode last night. Both interesting and annoying. Interesting about his childhood and parents, annoying about how popular he got and how the country's future direction seemed to all depend on which side he picked in the EU remain/leave referendum.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Talking of brexit...we went through all that because Cameron decided it was necessary to hold his party together...and now they're all fighting each other and splitting off into other parties anyway.

Cameron did it cos UKIP were getting 12-15% in elections and polls so he could get their voters to vote Tory.

It worked and then back fired as we voted to leave.

What will the Tories promise to try and get back the 13% who say they will vote Reform?

I await a shift even further to the nasty right from them.

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Cameron did it cos UKIP were getting 12-15% in elections and polls so he could get their voters to vote Tory.

It worked and then back fired as we voted to leave.

What will the Tories promise to try and get back the 13% who say they will vote Reform?

referendum on leaving planet earth.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Referendum on capital punishment probably.

8 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

No doubt in my mind that the UK public would vote for this

It's one of the classic right-wing populist things. Who cares about the rights of criminals? I'm not a criminal so it couldn't affect me....

But every civilised society has also abolished it (yes I'm saying the USA isn't a civilised society).

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

No doubt in my mind that the UK public would vote for this

Polls have shown that for decades.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

It's one of the classic right-wing populist things. Who cares about the rights of criminals? I'm not a criminal so it couldn't affect me....

But every civilised society has also abolished it (yes I'm saying the USA isn't a civilised society).

It's more about the rights of those wrongly convicted than those who are obviously very guilty of vile things...............

Perhaps we could bring back the stocks for MP's that break the rules or laws?

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If this were to happen then any real difference between the m and what we have is gone. The 2 main differences were 28B Green plan and workers rights.

Take them away and what is left?

Is this really what the Labour Party now is or likely to become?

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It's more about the rights of those wrongly convicted than those who are obviously very guilty of vile things...............

Perhaps we could bring back the stocks for MP's that break the rules or laws?

I realise that! I'm just referencing the quick mentality.

I'd pay good money to pelt corrupt politicians with rotten fruit.

15 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

If this were to happen then any real difference between the m and what we have is gone. The 2 main differences were 28B Green plan and workers rights.

Take them away and what is left?

Is this really what the Labour Party now is or likely to become?

This is a Labour party faced with trying to please businesses and unions...

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This article gives no indication that the workers rights plan will be scrapped. 

no, it is purely just speculation, and the headline is usual sensationalist stuff to get noticed....but the point really is that businesses that Labour have been courting have been expressing dislike at some of the workers rights stuff...and unions have been telling labour not to uturn on it...just part of the real world stuff that Labour will face when they get into power.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

no, it is purely just speculation, and the headline is usual sensationalist stuff to get noticed....but the point really is that businesses that Labour have been courting have been expressing dislike at some of the workers rights stuff...and unions have been telling labour not to uturn on it...just part of the real world stuff that Labour will face when they get into power.

Business will do that but as of yet there is no sign Labour will scrap it. Just guff from The Guardian on a day when the focus is elsewhere. 

On 3/4/2024 at 4:23 PM, Ozanne said:

This pollster tends to be pretty swingy. Labour’s lead is the same as it was back at the beginning of Jan and end of Jan. It’ll probably swing back next week.

The 2 main pollsters show very strong Labour leads still.

Well this was a shock to no one. 

36 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This article gives no indication that the workers rights plan will be scrapped. 

I get a feeling of deja vu here - this is what was said when the rolling back on the 28 billion story broke and kept being said for months until it was scrapped.

Will this one prove to be real and follow the same pattern?

Time will tell