Forwards 2024

gfa

Very underwhelming (imo) outdoor gigs in Bristol this summer. Let's see what the soon to be announced Queens square gigs bring for August. 

4 hours ago, Petewasbristol said:

Very underwhelming (imo) outdoor gigs in Bristol this summer. Let's see what the soon to be announced Queens square gigs bring for August. 

Depends who you're a fan of clearly.  None of the Downs shows in previous years have had lcd soundsystem. 

The week before that in the same place massive attack are doing their first UK show for five years. 

Edited by clarkete

4 hours ago, Petewasbristol said:

Very underwhelming (imo) outdoor gigs in Bristol this summer

every summer, not got me out to any of them yet!!!! i did go to a cannons marsh gig once, cant remember what, jimmy cliff i think.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

every summer, not got me out to any of them yet!!!! i did go to a cannons marsh gig once, cant remember what, jimmy cliff i think.

Same, I've been to one every year, always plenty I enjoy and well run event. 

I've been to a Canon's Marsh (maybe two) in the past 

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Depends who you're a fan of clearly.  None of the Downs shows in previous years have had lcd soundsystem. 

The week before that in the same place massive attack are doing their first UK show for five years. 

As a Bristolian you only have to look at the outdoor shows that Cardiff is putting on this summer and be a tad jealous.

Just my opinion of course. 

31 minutes ago, Petewasbristol said:

As a Bristolian you only have to look at the outdoor shows that Cardiff is putting on this summer and be a tad jealous.

I've seen nothing whatsoever, but tbh wouldn't be looking

43 minutes ago, Petewasbristol said:

I saw an advert for status quo in Taunton earlier.

And thought; better than Bristol.

Edited by Neil

1 hour ago, Neil said:

I saw an advert for status quo in Taunton earlier.

And thought; better than Bristol.

I don't like, don't like it, don't like it, don't like it, I won't gooooooo... 

26 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I don't like, don't like it, don't like it, don't like it, I won't gooooooo... 

i won't go or to busted in taunton, think that's one for crazyfool.

Surprised this is drawing some negative comments. I’ve been to one day each year for a few years now , and possibly also when they were running similar under a different name before. 

it’s been great every year , the lineups seem really well put together to me. Also the way they semi stagger the stages means you can often see a bit of everyone should you wish to if you don’t mind missing 5 mins of the start of the next set. 

I would have booked an early bird ticket blind to the lineup on the strength of previous booking if I could attend both days. I can only normally get a pass for one though so had to wait to see which day has the lineup I would prefer.

would happily do both days if I good square it with the good lady, but it will be LCD this year 

do appreciate everyone has different tastes ( I will take LCD soundsystem over the quo ha), but often priced around £70 I think it’s great value too. 

Edited by internetjef
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Surprised this is drawing some negative comments. I’ve been to one day each year for a few years now , and possibly also when they were running similar under a different name before. 

it’s been great every year , the lineups seem really well put together to me. Also the way they semi stagger the stages means you can often see a bit of everyone should you wish to if you don’t mind missing 5 mins of the start of the next set. 

I would have booked an early bird ticket blind to the lineup on the strength of previous booking if I could attend both days. I can only normally get a pass for one though so had to wait to see which day has the lineup I would prefer.

would happily do both days if I good square it with the good lady, but it will be LCD this year 

do appreciate everyone has different tastes ( I will take LCD soundsystem over the quo ha), but often priced around £70 I think it’s great value too. 

Totally agree! Seen some ridiculous runs of acts on the Downs over the years - as you say, possible to swap between 1st and 2nd stages easily 

Im a bit put off because it's team love and love saves the day never appealed to me even when it was in my local park. I worry there'll be lots of lowname djs at forwards On the undercard and I write it off cos the headliners aren't appealing to me.

4 hours ago, internetjef said:

Agreed I've seen some cracking acts on the Downs since 2016. 

Primal Scream, massive Attack, nadine shah, neneh cherry, Grace Jones, idles, fontaines dc, Leftfield, amyl and the sniffers, aphex twin, tons and tons more. 

11 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Agreed I've seen some cracking acts on the Downs since 2016. 

Primal Scream, massive Attack, nadine shah, neneh cherry, Grace Jones, idles, fontaines dc, Leftfield, amyl and the sniffers, aphex twin, tons and tons more. 

mostly its been acts i've seen many times already, which doesn't encourage me to go to see them again.

17 hours ago, Neil said:

mostly its been acts i've seen many times already, which doesn't encourage me to go to see them again.

Aye, but like me you're an old git and have seen many bands. 

For folks who can easily get to Bristol there are always some acts that put on a great show for a decent price compared to individual gigs.  Some nice food at pretty fair prices and some efficient bars - the can bars have always worked well for me and since the first one they manage the queues well.   Also never seen security giving people undu grief and always a happy crowd - but that may be the traditional Bristol smell of weed 😂

Edited by clarkete
  • Upvote 1

Can see why you thought the team love involvement may have drawn comparisons with love saves the day Neil but they are very different events.

LTSD very dance and dj focused (granted haven’t been in a couple of years but lineups suggest no change. Forwards is much for performer / band focused . They do have the odd electronic act on the bill but if so tends to be those who bring a big show with them (Chems / aphex) rather than just loads of djs up their with decks/laptops little else 

back in 2022 I turned up just after gates opened one day and watched melt yourself down , comet is coming,  self esteem, bit of sleaford mods (after switching to see Kae tempest on 2nd stage), roisin Murphy, chemical brothers back to back on main stage . There we no dj sets to get the thing going , live acts from the get go. Prob cost about £55 for the lot.

granted I haven’t always got in that early in other years so maybe they do occasionally open up with a dj but it’s far removed from LTSD for sure . Average punter age prob about 10 years older too ha.

if you aren’t fussed for those on the bill then fair dos, but def don’t let team love involvement put you off if you do fancy a day in the future 🙂

7 hours ago, internetjef said:

Back in 2022 I turned up just after gates opened one day and watched melt yourself down , comet is coming,  self esteem, bit of sleaford mods (after switching to see Kae tempest on 2nd stage), roisin Murphy, chemical brothers back to back on main stage . 

🙂

I too saw Sleaford Mods, Self Esteem and Chemical Brothers.  All were excellent. 

15 hours ago, internetjef said:

Can see why you thought the team love involvement may have drawn comparisons with love saves the day Neil but they are very different events.

LTSD very dance and dj focused (granted haven’t been in a couple of years but lineups suggest no change. Forwards is much for performer / band focused . They do have the odd electronic act on the bill but if so tends to be those who bring a big show with them (Chems / aphex) rather than just loads of djs up their with decks/laptops little else 

back in 2022 I turned up just after gates opened one day and watched melt yourself down , comet is coming,  self esteem, bit of sleaford mods (after switching to see Kae tempest on 2nd stage), roisin Murphy, chemical brothers back to back on main stage . There we no dj sets to get the thing going , live acts from the get go. Prob cost about £55 for the lot.

granted I haven’t always got in that early in other years so maybe they do occasionally open up with a dj but it’s far removed from LTSD for sure . Average punter age prob about 10 years older too ha.

if you aren’t fussed for those on the bill then fair dos, but def don’t let team love involvement put you off if you do fancy a day in the future 🙂

I know they're very different events,forwards has appealled to me more but is less easy for me to access cos it's the other side of town. It needs the sort of big committment I'm not good at now. 😞

8 hours ago, Neil said:

I know they're very different events,forwards has appealled to me more but is less easy for me to access cos it's the other side of town. It needs the sort of big committment I'm not good at now. 😞

Aye that is a bit rubbish 😔

Great little festival. Had an almost perfect weekend there in 2022. Acts were top notch, security mega chill, decent beer with decent prices, easy to flip flop between the two main stages. And got to see John Barnes chat about racism instead of endure Sleaford Mods

On 3/2/2024 at 9:51 AM, internetjef said:

iys not that they put me off, it means i haven't had hopes for an undercard I'd like after seeing that the headliners aren't doing it for me.

That Four Tet / Loyle Carner day will sell very well I think.

If they did that in London would sell out instantly i reckon, great one-two punch for young people

52 minutes ago, gfa said:

That Four Tet / Loyle Carner day will sell very well I think.

If they did that in London would sell out instantly i reckon, great one-two punch for young people

I'm eyeing up the LCD day instead. Looks excellent.

Splurged on weekend tickets as we're driving down to Cornwall for a week's holiday and it's always a treat to stop off in Bristol. I've heard great things and the line-up is essentially everyone that's been missing from other festivals I've been to the last few years. 

For those of you complaining about Bristol's outdoor shows, check out Sheffield. It's truly bleak here.