2025 R&L Festival

Chad888

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Anecdotal evidence? A few mates? You think i have mates sat on here all day 😂 

I didn’t assume they were on here, I’d had noticed a school leaver love in for them if so 🤣, as opposed to a couple of northern boomers who don’t seem to dislike them much.

If not your friends/ circle, where on earth did you formulate your assumption that Courteeners were “Wildly popular” with school leavers?

I reckon if you genuinely thing that, you’re living under a rock with precisely 2 school leavers who are wild about Courteeners!

Edited by Benj

2 hours ago, Benj said:

I didn’t assume they were on here, I’d had noticed a school leaver love in for them if so 🤣, as opposed to a couple of northern boomers who don’t seem to dislike them much.

If not your friends/ circle, where on earth did you formulate your assumption that Courteeners were “Wildly popular” with school leavers?

I reckon if you genuinely thing that, you’re living under a rock with precisely 2 school leavers who are wild about Courteeners!

I was jokingly saying i have no mates

Look at the crowd of a courteeners gig and the countless times they do the school leavers indie fests / reading with big crowds lol

They are big with the same crowd that give TDCC, wombats, LG etc a big crowd everytime they play

Edited by gfa

11 minutes ago, gfa said:

I was jokingly saying i have no mates

Look at the crowd of a courteeners gig and the countless times they do the school leavers indie fests / reading with big crowds lol

They are big with the same crowd that give TDCC, wombats, LG etc a big crowd everytime they play

Do they?  The fact they’ve not been at Reading for 5 years says a lot. They’re doing a show with the Kooks, they’re playing victorious, last year they played IOW. Boomer fests…

And again a few 100 teenage fans at gigs does not mean “wildly popular” with school leavers, it means small niche… hence 1,200 followers on TikTok, a few thousand on 

They’re not helping to sell a load of tickets to Reading festival in 2025…

Im not suggesting Cinnamon is wildly popular with school leavers either. He’s clearly not. He’s riding his Not 19 forever moment now though, so is vaguely relevant. He won’t be top 2 at Reading in 5 years time, no chance.

On 3/20/2024 at 2:18 PM, gfa said:

but your MK Bowl argument is completely ridiculous!! Nobody gives a sh*t about the sodding MK Bowl - a venue used about 3 times a year if that 😂

I give a sh*t, but only because I'm local to Milton Keynes and have felt its been underused for too long so I am happy that its hosting shows again, if counter-balanced by the fact that this year, none of what it is hosting is of interest to me.

I remember in lockdown they briefly flirted with the idea of doing drive-in concerts there only for Live Nation to abort the idea before they went through with it. That would've been a very odd experience.

On 3/21/2024 at 4:59 PM, Benj said:

Do they?  The fact they’ve not been at Reading for 5 years says a lot. They’re doing a show with the Kooks, they’re playing victorious, last year they played IOW. Boomer fests…

And again a few 100 teenage fans at gigs does not mean “wildly popular” with school leavers, it means small niche… hence 1,200 followers on TikTok, a few thousand on 

They’re not helping to sell a load of tickets to Reading festival in 2025…

Im not suggesting Cinnamon is wildly popular with school leavers either. He’s clearly not. He’s riding his Not 19 forever moment now though, so is vaguely relevant. He won’t be top 2 at Reading in 5 years time, no chance.

I'm saying they are very much in the same group as Two Door, Wombats, Kooks etc - the acts that headline / get big slots at superstruct festivals every summer.

I wouldn't worry much about tiktok followers etc - some acts just aren't really on it much as their management hasn't clocked on yet etc

I don't think they would sell many tickets but its all about having a varied lineup which is strong enough across the weekend to sell weekend tickets, nobody is buying a ticket for Gerry either really but when you have him and LG together + others then its more of a pull.

Very few acts sell a significant amount of tickets off their name solely (which is why they were mad to put Lana and Fred on the same day, two hard to see acts that have crazy fanbases!)

I will concede though they are probably more likely for 3rd down - but the idea Courteeners or even Gerry don't have school leaver fans is crazy. Look at the videos of the crowd when they are playing at TRNSMT for instance!!

18 minutes ago, gfa said:

I'm saying they are very much in the same group as Two Door, Wombats, Kooks etc - the acts that headline / get big slots at superstruct festivals every summer.

I wouldn't worry much about tiktok followers etc - some acts just aren't really on it much as their management hasn't clocked on yet etc

I don't think they would sell many tickets but its all about having a varied lineup which is strong enough across the weekend to sell weekend tickets, nobody is buying a ticket for Gerry either really but when you have him and LG together + others then its more of a pull.

Very few acts sell a significant amount of tickets off their name solely (which is why they were mad to put Lana and Fred on the same day, two hard to see acts that have crazy fanbases!)

I will concede though they are probably more likely for 3rd down - but the idea Courteeners or even Gerry don't have school leaver fans is crazy. Look at the videos of the crowd when they are playing at TRNSMT for instance!!

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said there. Again nothing you’ve said whatsoever suggests Courteeners are “wildly popular” with school leavers though.

They’re not wildly popular with school leavers…

15 minutes ago, Benj said:

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said there. Again nothing you’ve said whatsoever suggests Courteeners are “wildly popular” with school leavers though.

They’re not wildly popular with school leavers…

Depends what you call wildly

They are one of the more popular indie acts - something which is a considerable amount of both the lineup and the uk festival scene in general.

Nobody is saying they are madly popular worldwide like AM or Killers but they are only one step below your sam fender, Foals etc on lineups really

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Depends what you call wildly

They are one of the more popular indie acts - something which is a considerable amount of both the lineup and the uk festival scene in general.

Nobody is saying they are madly popular worldwide like AM or Killers but they are only one step below your sam fender, Foals etc on lineups really

My definition of wildly is deffo more than 5% of the demographic in question actually having heard of them before actually wanting to desperately see them…

1 hour ago, Benj said:

My definition of wildly is deffo more than 5% of the demographic in question actually having heard of them before actually wanting to desperately see them…

Not sure what festival you go to mate

No way does less than 5% of the festival's audience know who one of the largest indie bands in the country are ?? Someone please back me up on this one - almost everyone who is going for LG / Gerry / Catfish will also know courteeners 😂

50 minutes ago, gfa said:

No way does less than 5% of the festival's audience know who one of the largest indie bands in the country are ?? Someone please back me up on this one - almost everyone who is going for LG / Gerry / Catfish will also know courteeners 😂

I’ve got you. As said above, absolutely everyone who is there for LG, CATB, The Wombats etc will also like Courteeners. Absolutely silly to say less than 5% of dark fruits teens at R&L will like them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gfa said:

That’s not what you said though is it?

You said they were wildly popular with school leavers…

Now you’re saying they’re “known by” Dark Fruit school leavers. Bit of a gift change! This is probably 5% of school leavers… I do not disagree with this.

As per my original post, to which you countered with Courteenes are “wildly popular” with school leavers, I suggested they’d be 3rd, which you have since conceded yourself to be the case🤣

Courteeners are not wildly popular with school leavers. In general, they are very unpopular with school leavers. Well may not dislike them, they simply don’t know who they are…

Edited by Benj

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

I’ve got you. As said above, absolutely everyone who is there for LG, CATB, The Wombats etc will also like Courteeners. Absolutely silly to say less than 5% of dark fruits teens at R&L will like them. 

You seem to be confused. I did not say less than 5% of Dark fruit teens at R&L will like them…

I suggested that they are not “Wildly popular” with at least 95% of ALL 16-20 years

Edited by Benj

48 minutes ago, Benj said:

That’s not what you said though is it?

You said they were wildly popular with school leavers…

Now you’re saying they’re “known by” Dark Fruit school leavers. Bit of a gift change! This is probably 5% of school leavers… I do not disagree with this.

As per my original post, to which you countered with Courteenes are “wildly popular” with school leavers, I suggested they’d be 3rd, which you have since conceded yourself to be the case🤣

Courteeners are not wildly popular with school leavers. In general, they are very unpopular with school leavers. Well may not dislike them, they simply don’t know who they are…

'5%' of school leavers which is about 30-40% of the reading audience

They are an act that are popular with the reading audience whether its wildly for you it seems not, but i'd bet if they played there would be heaps of 16-20 year olds on their mates shoulders with smoke bombs going off for the big songs just like at any of their other uk shows!

11 minutes ago, gfa said:

'5%' of school leavers which is about 30-40% of the reading audience

They are an act that are popular with the reading audience whether its wildly for you it seems not, but i'd bet if they played there would be heaps of 16-20 year olds on their mates shoulders with smoke bombs going off for the big songs just like at any of their other uk shows!

My OG point was, countering some now long forgotten post, was that there is no chance that Courteeners are going to be an act that are used to Tent Pole the festival (ie ‘Big Font, top of the bill…).

Even if 30-40% of the festival are committed teen dark Fruiters (I’m doubting this v much judging by crowds for such bands in 2022), I’d say 5% of those would still actually be WILD about The Courteeners, as in that’s what’s helped persuade them to buy a ticket…which was my point.

They’d get a decent crowd no doubt and of course smoke galore, I think I may have even enjoyed them last time they played

They’re billed below Jamie T this summer, the same level as Wombats (headlining the 2.5nd) stage against Fred Gain, an act that school leavers are actually probably wild about, they haven’t sold out a 20,000 cap fest up north… as you say yourself, about the same level as TDCC.

Anyway, even I’m bored about arguing about this now…

Twenty One Pilots' two recent singles have been brilliant - I hope they'll be headlining next year.

'Overcompensate' marked their first UK Top 40 appearance since 2016, so they've still got a solid fanbase. 

They're set to announce a world tour very soon.

2 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Twenty One Pilots' two recent singles have been brilliant - I hope they'll be headlining next year.

'Overcompensate' marked their first UK Top 40 appearance since 2016, so they've still got a solid fanbase. 

They're set to announce a world tour very soon.

Just announced UK dates for May next year - suppose that’s them ruled out then? :/

51 minutes ago, Crews1 said:

Just announced UK dates for May next year - suppose that’s them ruled out then? 😕

Yup. As per the depressing discourse in the 2024 most acts can make far more money from their own tours than playing festivals these days

One for the 2026 thread maybe

3 hours ago, wghennessy said:

I mean ill try get tickets for their own show but would have been a good shout for a headliner. Shame.

Just a guess obv, can’t see Reading offering them enough to go exclusive over their own shows though

Courteeners ARE popular. It is because they have one song that everybody knows, an anthem song that is played and chanted at every club student night, that everybody has heard and danced to for the last 16-years.

BUT

The conversation around them will go:

"what music do you like?"

"I like indie music really; Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Oasis, Sam Fender, Courteeners..."

"Oh, you like Courteeners? Which songs?"

"Not nineteen forever... umm..."

"Any others?"

"I...don't think I know any others"

Posted (edited)

Edit - seen already discussed above and been ruled out.

Twenty One Pilots new album comes out in 2-months. Possible 25 headliner?

Latest single Next Semester really sounds like a cross between 70's British Punk, and early 00's Fallout Boy, PatD! type pop rock.

Looks like a swing away from their  American-skater anthem music. 

Edited by Chad888

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

Edit - seen already discussed above and been ruled out.

Twenty One Pilots new album comes out in 2-months. Possible 25 headliner?

Latest single Next Semester really sounds like a cross between 70's British Punk, and early 00's Fallout Boy, PatD! type pop rock.

Looks like a swing away from their  American-skater anthem music

When did 21P sound like NOFX? 

• 2 weeks later...