Bluedot 2024 not happening

czuk

Just had the email

Underpinning bluedot’s mission is a sincere love and respect for the earth and environment we are lucky to be part of. However, at bluedot this July, that earth itself took a lot of strain. Experiencing the highest level of rainfall on the festival weekend since records began (records courtesy of Jodrell Bank’s own weather station!) we have patiently waited to see what the effects of this have been on the land itself. We have now sadly reached the judgement that the ground on which the bluedot universe is built desperately needs some time to recover; a period of rest during which the soil will recover and regenerate. We are, as Carl Sagan put it, in very bad trouble if we don’t understand the planet we’re trying to save.

We have therefore taken the decision for bluedot to have a fallow year in 2024.
We had grand ambitions for our 2024 edition, but are nonetheless excited for the future, buoyed by the Artemis mission to take humanity back to the moon for the first time in 56 years. We cannot wait to join in the excitement with you.
We would like to share a heartfelt thank you to our home of Jodrell Bank, the local community and Cheshire East Council, the artists, speakers and all festival staff for their support since day one, and especially in the most challenging moments of bluedot 2023.

Ground recovery or financial problems?  They must have lost money this year with the weather.

11 minutes ago, czuk said:

Just had the email

Ground recovery or financial problems?  They must have lost money this year with the weather.

Its probably jodrell bank not happy being wrecked .

They were pushing out Facebook Ads to get people to sign up for access to early bird tickets as late as last week. The land definitely took a battering - visited Jodrell a few weeks ago and they've laid a load of new turf and have signs up apologising for the state of things after 'a brilliant (but muddy) bluedot', so there is certainly an element of truth that the ground needs to recover.

They've got good financial backing and the festival is partly justified as outreach by the university so I'm perhaps more confident it will return than I would be if most other festivals took a break like this.

Bluedot and Tramlines on the same weekend, both badly affected by the weather this year. Tramlines repairs to the park have been substantial and will have taken priority as it's a more public space. Tramlines sells out every year for a much larger crowd... makes sense to drop Bluedot whilst they recoup some of this year's losses. 

Also wondering if they might be looking for a better site for Bluedot. I know the telescope is iconic, but the ground there has always been problematic in rainy weather. Needed assistance to get out of the parking area when I saw Elbow there back in 2012 (pre Bluedot, but essentially the same festival)

6 minutes ago, sheffinghell said:

Bluedot and Tramlines on the same weekend, both badly affected by the weather this year. Tramlines repairs to the park have been substantial and will have taken priority as it's a more public space. Tramlines sells out every year for a much larger crowd... makes sense to drop Bluedot whilst they recoup some of this year's losses. 

Also wondering if they might be looking for a better site for Bluedot. I know the telescope is iconic, but the ground there has always been problematic in rainy weather. Needed assistance to get out of the parking area when I saw Elbow there back in 2012 (pre Bluedot, but essentially the same festival)

I'd also add that it seems a pragmatic commercial decision, especially when you consider - Bluedot capacity 25k (but doesn't always sell out), Tramlines capacity 40k (always sells out). Bluedot requires camping and parking facilities, Tramlines does not...

Superstruct also have several other festivals making them good money, including Y Not and Kendal Calling, which are larger than Bluedot and also regularly sell out, and are in a similar mid-north UK catchment area

The entire festival needs a rethink, to be honest, and I say that as a fan of it. The lineup feels much less focused and well curated recently, and I think the soft sales really reflected that this year. I don't think the telescope is well used enough – or the site perfect enough – for them to be glued to it, and I think it could quite easily work in a different place with another USP (but I'm not sure how much of the funding comes from Jodrell Bank itself).

Either way, maybe a year off to take stock might be a good idea for them.

• 2 months later...