2024 headline speculation

airwaves

33 minutes ago, Nick07 said:

Would Lankum headline the Garden?

Arooj Aftab headlined Garden last year. Critically acclaimed and a great set, but Lankum are several levels above her - as pointed out they're headlining the second stage at Latitude, the same level as a 2023 EOTR headliner, and they just sold out the 3,000 capacity Roundhouse.

12 minutes ago, zahidf said:

They could do a Angel Oslen/Magentic Fields i guess!

Neither were promoted as headliners, though. The point I was making earlier was that it's self-defeating to announce that you trust Lankum's size and live power enough to take that chance on elevating them to headliner level and then put them on the second stage.

Whilst I'd agree that the undercard always has a few previously unknown gems on it I was so underwhelmed by the headliners last year ( not for the first time), I'm holding off on buying a ticket until the first announcement. 230 quid is a lot and I feel last year was so underpowered at the top end it was a bit steep. Also I've been to the last 12 in a row, don't really like camping and am wondering whether it's all becoming a bit 'familiar', the lack of Andyloos was a massive blow as well. We will see, thee dreaded FOMO will probably get the better of me in the end.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Arooj Aftab headlined Garden last year. Critically acclaimed and a great set, but Lankum are several levels above her - as pointed out they're headlining the second stage at Latitude, the same level as a 2023 EOTR headliner, and they just sold out the 3,000 capacity Roundhouse.

Neither were promoted as headliners, though. The point I was making earlier was that it's self-defeating to announce that you trust Lankum's size and live power enough to take that chance on elevating them to headliner level and then put them on the second stage.

Lankum headlined supersonic 6 months ago 

22 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Okay how about…

Big Thief | Lankum | Slowdive | Sleater Kinney

Baxter Dury | Godspeed You! Black Emperor | Squid | Mdou Moctar | The Decemberists | Nation of Language | Two Shell | Fat White Family | Sea Power | Protomartyr 

James Holden, Bill Ryder Jones, The Lemon Twigs, Allo Darlin’, deathcrash, Moor Mother, Flamingods, Nala Sinephro, Superchunk, English Teacher, Anais Mitchell, Lonnie Holley, Sofia Kourtesis, Curtis Harding, Zola Jesus, Sheer Mag, Lost Girls, Omni, Kali Malone, Show Me The Body, The Tubs, Backxwash, Mary Lattimore, Bess Atwell, MC Yallah, Fat Dog, Mary Halvorson, Mui Zyu, The Bug Club, Tara Clerkin Trio, William Doyle, Blue Lake, Lilo, Dos Monos, Astrid Sonne, Thus Love, Mary In The Junkyard, University, White Flowers, Butch Kassidy, Man/Woman/Chainsaw, THE NONE, Pencil, The Itch. 

Pretty good prediction

i would not buy a ticket for this so hope its quite different, but I think youre in the right area.

(fat dog wont be back for a third year on the spin)

1 hour ago, Johnny5eyes said:

As a follower of a lower league football team all this EOTR headline speculation reminds me of the transfer window. Loads of optimistic speculation and you end up with a defender on loan from QPR or Unknown Mortal Orchestra. 

Christ, how bad is your defence you need one of our dossers to improve matters???

23 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Okay how about…

Big Thief | Lankum | Slowdive | Sleater Kinney

Baxter Dury | Godspeed You! Black Emperor | Squid | Mdou Moctar | The Decemberists | Nation of Language | Two Shell | Fat White Family | Sea Power | Protomartyr 

James Holden, Bill Ryder Jones, The Lemon Twigs, Allo Darlin’, deathcrash, Moor Mother, Flamingods, Nala Sinephro, Superchunk, English Teacher, Anais Mitchell, Lonnie Holley, Sofia Kourtesis, Curtis Harding, Zola Jesus, Sheer Mag, Lost Girls, Omni, Kali Malone, Show Me The Body, The Tubs, Backxwash, Mary Lattimore, Bess Atwell, MC Yallah, Fat Dog, Mary Halvorson, Mui Zyu, The Bug Club, Tara Clerkin Trio, William Doyle, Blue Lake, Lilo, Dos Monos, Astrid Sonne, Thus Love, Mary In The Junkyard, University, White Flowers, Butch Kassidy, Man/Woman/Chainsaw, THE NONE, Pencil, The Itch. 

Can’t see Sea Power playing as playing their own festival. 

The rest seems a good guess.

Looks like The Decemberists are gearing up for an announcement today. I wonder if EOTR and Moseley Folk Festival have had to wait to announce their line up until after this?  Though All Points East obviously didn’t…

If they are one of the main three headliners, who out of the most touted options do we think they’ll be instead of? Slowdive? 

Also can’t help but feel Idles might potentially sneak in as one of the headliners. 

Edited by lessthanwill1

8 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Looks like The Decemberists are gearing up for an announcement today. I wonder if EOTR and Moseley Folk Festival have had to wait to announce their line up until after this?  Though All Points East obviously didn’t…

If they are one of the main three headliners, who out of the most touted options do we think they’ll be instead of? Slowdive? 

Also can’t help but feel Idles might potentially sneak in as one of the headliners. 

Slowdive's dates don't look a great fit. They are touring like crazy, will they still be going by then?

17 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I think EOTR have to tie loads of stuff together. 

Beth Gibbons new video tomorrow so maybe an album and tour announcement too!

10 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The fact she is announcing tomorrow seems suspiciously coincidental

I thought she was announcing today but the video someone found goes live at 3pm tomorrow. Moseley is announcing at 4pm, I imagine EOTR will give a time later today. But there's always coincidence, a lot of people thought last year that Green Man's first names were held off until 1st March so Boygenius could be announced for both it and Connect at the same time but only the latter happened. Then there's those Fat White Family dates that made so many people convinced they'd be the secret set...

Edited by SweepingTheNation

4 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I thought she was announcing today but the video someone found goes live at 3pm tomorrow. Moseley is announcing at 4pm, I imagine EOTR will give a time later today. But there's always coincidence, a lot of people thought last year that Green Man's first names were held off until 1st March so Boygenius could be announced for both it and Connect at the same time but only the latter happened. Then there's those Fat White Family dates that made so many people convinced they'd be the secret set...

True to all of the above. I'd love to see her play EOTR, some of the names being put forward are a bit stale. I mean who hasn't seen Idles by now?! 

Whereas she would be an exciting booking. 

Hoping that the poster has quite a few unforeseen bookings.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

True to all of the above. I'd love to see her play EOTR, some of the names being put forward are a bit stale. I mean who hasn't seen Idles by now?! 

Whereas she would be an exciting booking. 

Hoping that the poster has quite a few unforeseen bookings.

Yeah, I really don't think IDLES are playing, it's mostly come from Simon recently following them on IG and it not being an unreasonable fit but they're headlining Truck (albeit the Thursday) which is double the size. Whereas even with the Decemberists you've got a band that have never played an outdoor British festival until the week before.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, xxialac said:

On a separate note, it amazes me that posters don't get leaked. So many people must know about it and would be so easy to pop it up on twitter anonymously.

Anyway, roll on tomorrow!

Last years headliners were leaked the day before