Changes from 2023>2024

MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Mad you don't think dance music has a bearing on people's interest

Not what I said. I said I find it strange. I find it strange anyone likes dance music. Honestly don't see the appeal. (Well, outside of certain things that go hand in hand with dance music... but that's not the music itself).

Doesn't mean those people are wrong but I think your 60-70% figure is way high. There's 200,000 people on site, we established the SE corner has a capacity of 40,000 which is 20%, and may of those will be going every night. I'd imagine it's closer to 30-40% - huge swathes of people just go back to the tent after the headliners. Doesn't mean we should ditch it but this forum massively over-judges its popularity.

2 hours ago, On The Blend said:

Sorry, but what what does this even mean? 

The people who run Glastonbury are tasked with trying to retain its status as a global icon; it’s probably the most famous music festival in the world. This will not be achieved by putting more Steely Dan on.

Arcadia hopped in bed with the Saudis for the World Cup which was responsible for the deaths of 6500 people. Now I'm happy to go along with "lets not make this political" - but if we're going to say the festival should go meatless as a "political statement" then maybe there's another good one they could make.

Just now, DeanoL said:

Arcadia hopped in bed with the Saudis for the World Cup which was responsible for the deaths of 6500 people. Now I'm happy to go along with "lets not make this political" - but if we're going to say the festival should go meatless as a "political statement" then maybe there's another good one they could make.

Glastonbury shouldn't go meatless as a "political statement", they should do it for: the sake of the planet, the welfare of animals and the health of participants. Knowing the true ethos of Shambala this will be why their doing it, not for political reasons or to look good. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Not what I said. I said I find it strange. I find it strange anyone likes dance music. Honestly don't see the appeal. (Well, outside of certain things that go hand in hand with dance music... but that's not the music itself).

Doesn't mean those people are wrong but I think your 60-70% figure is way high. There's 200,000 people on site, we established the SE corner has a capacity of 40,000 which is 20%, and may of those will be going every night. I'd imagine it's closer to 30-40% - huge swathes of people just go back to the tent after the headliners. Doesn't mean we should ditch it but this forum massively over-judges its popularity.

I find it strange that you keep lumping together all genres of 'dance' music! Most people will like some but not all. People who like indie and rock can also like a bit of house or dnb.  We all like different things different amounts and that's ok. 

And the comment 'certain things that go hand in hand with dance music' just shows how blinkered you are.  I listened to a really nice melodic techno set on my drive this morning and I can guarantee you I'd had none of those 'certain things'.

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Glastonbury shouldn't go meatless as a "political statement", they should do it for: the sake of the planet, the welfare of animals and the health of participants.

I completely agree, when I said political statement I meant that these things are inherently political. Agricultural infrastructure, climate crisis, prioritisation of health and well-being, etc. they all have a political angle.

Didn’t mean to imply it would just be some hollow virtue signalling kinda thing.

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

I find it strange that you keep lumping together all genres of 'dance' music! Most people will like some but not all. People who like indie and rock can also like a bit of house or dnb.  We all like different things different amounts and that's ok. 

And the comment 'certain things that go hand in hand with dance music' just shows how blinkered you are.  I listened to a really nice melodic techno set on my drive this morning and I can guarantee you I'd had none of those 'certain things'.

What is "dance music"?

There are people out there who claim you can dance to 90's indie guitar bands, Brit pop and even Elton John.

Non of the above are "dance music" in my world.

14 minutes ago, stuie said:

I lump them together cause I don't like any of them. It's probably "electronic" music if you want me to be specific. 

My other comment was more the other way. You may not need to be taking drugs to enjoy dance music but there's not many activities other than clubbing that go well with certain substances. And *that* I can see the appeal of!

9 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

just for clarity .... I just like my meat , and ive no objection to dance music or any other ... variety is the name of the game and I think they do a damn good job tbh 

Can’t beat a bit of disco while eating a sausage! 😂

18 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Glastonbury shouldn't go meatless as a "political statement", they should do it for: the sake of the planet, the welfare of animals and the health of participants. Knowing the true ethos of Shambala this will be why their doing it, not for political reasons or to look good. 

Like I said. I don't think it actually makes a difference. It just pushes the problem elsewhere. The meat traders that would have been at Shambala this year just did different festivals instead. And Towersey Festival ended up with fewer veggie options because they were at Shambala. So while Shambala can say "we've reduced our carbon footprint", it doesn't actually have an impact. Now to be fair, as a statement it works, and if enough other festivals got on board it could eventually create change. It's not pointless. But I can promise that in isolation, Glasto or Shambala going meat-free would make absolutely zero impact on the UK's carbon emissions that weekend. 

(And if Glasto really wanted to make a difference, the owner could stop running a dairy farm.... there's a hell of a difference between Shambala being on a farm and Glasto being run by someone *who also runs a farm*)

14 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

just for clarity .... I just like my meat , and ive no objection to dance music or any other ... variety is the name of the game and I think they do a damn good job tbh 

I'm the same - I don't like dance music, happy to ignore that part of the festival. I've written at length elsewhere about how the investment in that over the theatre/circus/comedy areas is a big part of why I'm giving it up, but I don't resent it for that. I certainly wouldn't get rid of it entirely. I was just drawing a comparison that getting rid of "dance" from the music programme is akin to getting rid of "meat" from the food stalls. It's just cutting a big swathe of what some people enjoy for no good reason.

What is even "meat" anyway? 😄

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

(And if Glasto really wanted to make a difference, the owner could stop running a dairy farm.... there's a hell of a difference between Shambala being on a farm and Glasto being run by someone *who also runs a farm*)

This is now quite a lot of pages about things that aren't going to happen.  

I wish you all a super weekend eating what you want to and listening to what you like. 

46 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

40k in the SE corner, another 30k if not more across Arcadia, SH and Beat Hotel + other smaller tents like stonebridge

70k is now 35% of the fest, then times it by 4 nights (3 for arcadia, but a technicality really) and your looking more around the 60% figure i reckon

thats also not considering that its far more than 40k as people may go straight there, then dip at 2am while others will go back to camp and get there around 2 then go till 6am etc

+ electronic acts in the day... get Chems or similar on Other and you've got 30% of the site seeing a dance act in one whole swoop

12 minutes ago, gfa said:

40k in the SE corner, another 30k if not more across Arcadia, SH and Beat Hotel + other smaller tents like stonebridge

70k is now 35% of the fest, then times it by 4 nights (3 for arcadia, but a technicality really) and your looking more around the 60% figure i reckon

thats also not considering that its far more than 40k as people may go straight there, then dip at 2am while others will go back to camp and get there around 2 then go till 6am etc

+ electronic acts in the day... get Chems or similar on Other and you've got 30% of the site seeing a dance act in one whole swoop

I was responding specifically to "people having a night in the SE corner" - not just generally engaging with dance music. It's the SE corner this site has blinders on for. It's very popular. It's not *that* popular.

3 hours ago, gfa said:

do people really go to the SEC only for the music?

I still think the vast majority of people only go because it's the thing to do, it's open all night, it's popular and is seen to be sureal (though design) - it was even on the guardians bucket list of stuff to do before you die

I recon you could play 80's pop music in more than half the SEC venues and no change would happen to the number of people going

Skindred was packed, everywhere in SEC was packed -  so I really think the music is not the key part for *most* people - large minority yes

Edited by bob323

Just now, bob323 said:

do people really go to the SEC only for the music?

I still think the vast majority of people only go because it's the thing to do, it's open all night, it's popular and is seen to be surreal (though design)

Loads of folks don't go for the music, they go because they think they have to. It's a bit like being in Egypt and thinking you have to see The Pyramids or India - The Taj Mahal.

"Seen to be surreal" is a good way of putting it, because actually it's really not.

Summary - the problem with SEC is that it's full of tourists, esp NYC Downlow

In terms of actual changes for 24 I'd like to see that I think are reasonably likely. 

A) Improved app that allows you to search for food vendors

B) Food vendors being encouraged to put the carbon footprint of their meals on menus and in the app. 

C) New genosys stage

D) New arcadia stage

E) More programming in car henge/silent disco there. 

F) New licence (I think that's up this year), which allows more flexibility in them using the big 8 stages on a Thursday. 

4 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

In terms of actual changes for 24 I'd like to see that I think are reasonably likely.

Probably not that likely, but I'd like to see:

A complete revamp of Shangri-La, ideally to a more bright and colorful positive vibe. Time to leave the Dystopian feel.

A complete revamp of Unfairground

13 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

A complete revamp of Shangri-La, ideally to a more bright and colorful positive vibe. Time to leave the Dystopian feel.

re: Time to leave the Dystopian feel.

they could keep it in, but hide it rather than shout it in your face. I recon extreme super happy venues, but in the style of 1984 - where you have to enjoy yourself, would keep everyone pleased

even make fun of everyone being a tourist and make the whole place like huge nightmare ikea - but happy of course (not far from the present system)

and obviosly play kylie minogue / SAW music :o)

Edited by bob323
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Shangri-la had a revamp this year though, it seems to have passed everyone by but it did. 

Yeah unfair ground for me is just a thing I pass through on my way home, would love to see them evolve the concept. Nearly did that chicken feathers glove thing until I realised it was a fiver.

18 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Do you mean the Qataris?

I agree in general though. It reminds me of all the companies that display the pride flag during pride month except in certain areas/countries. It's like, do these conglomerates actually care about pride month or do they just care about money? Imo, it's the latter.

13 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

A) Improved app that allows you to search for food vendors

The app felt so rushed this year. I don't think I used it at all. The line-up page needed a zoom out function. A food vendor app would be golden.

18 hours ago, Skip997 said:

I mean, that does sound quite political. Welfare in general is always under government consideration, so too is the health of the country and the environment.

But I've got no problem with more veggie options on offer, even though I was disappointed with my bao bun veggie burger. It was 12 quid of air and a couple of measly morsels of veggie burger.