Sziget Festival 2024

#1SzigetFan

25 minutes ago, Lambert said:

Everyone is after a different experience for a festival, not everyone will agree on the quality of the lineup, I think what Sziget have tried to do this year is book relevant artists, depending on the genre you like will maybe decide on if you think the lineup is strong or weak, the sziget lineup this year seems to be more leaning to the dance/house/EDM side, but that genre of music is by a mile the strongest most popular genre there is currently.

All of the other lineups above seem to be more nostalgic than relevant, maybe I am wrong but I cannot remember the last time I heard that Placebo/Lenny Kravitz/Offspring/Massive attack/Pj Harvey had a hit song ? not saying they are not great performers but they are not relevant to todays market.

Sziget, may not have the biggest names, but 90% of the artists are relevant in todays market and will appeal to most of the people.

"90% of the artists are relevant in today's market and will appeal to most of the people"

How you seen the social media response to the line-up? Lol.

9 minutes ago, Tails94 said:

Has there been talk at all about offspring joining the lineup at all? Know they are part of the “older generation”  but they put on such a good live show and pure bangers 

When it comes to rock headliner I think the Offspring aren't unlikely. They are in line with the level of headliner sziget got this year, I could see the offspring and rise against co-headline especially since both are around during sziget 

2 hours ago, Ausländer said:

When it comes to rock headliner I think the Offspring aren't unlikely. They are in line with the level of headliner sziget got this year, I could see the offspring and rise against co-headline especially since both are around during sziget 

But why the delay in announcing them? Leaks knew the announcement was coming 'soon-ish' which implies there is a specific act with a specific timescale in place (for whatever reason). I just don't see that act being The Offspring tbh.

• Upvote 1

I hope its not that soonish as the last announcement 😁

And for my choice they can't fix the lineup anymore...not with atmosphere, not with circus, not with streetart, and surely not with canceling smaller stages or other stupid strategymoves

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dude111 said:

idk how to say it...

Maroon 5 are taking a break from their Vegas residancy in july-augost and annouced american featival tour on july.

Well, they'd certainly shift some tickets! However, I also think they'd cost something close to all of the other headliners added together. If spending that kind of money, they'd be much better off trying for The Killers.

If Sziget was going to book an act to save them from all the online negativity, I'm not sure Maroon 5 is that act!

Their style would also clash significantly with 95% of the rest of the acts. 

Don't see it happening tbh.

Edited by billybigballs

Sziget team must be facing even more serious budget issues than i thought. They just revealed the full line up of their other summer festival, Balaton Sound. It is by far the weakest line up in the last 15 years. All the big edm names are removed, no rap/hip-hop names, the 2nd biggest stage basically eliminated (yeah of course they communicate this differently).

I wonder how they are going to approach the following years, maybe their new direction is budget lineup/ festivals which are at least affordable for Hungarians/young audience.

Having been to Balaton Sound/Sziget 15+ times this massive decline is very tough to watch...

Also i think it is clear that Sziget has absolutely no intention to bring rock bands anymore, Rise Against is literally playing 1 day after Sziget in Budapest.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SweetJesus said:

Rise Against ruled out

The fact that they play 1 day after Sziget in Budapest suggests that Sziget turned down the opportunity to try and book them. They were 100% available. And that's a bit sad. 

Edited by kristofm
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Budaman said:

I wonder how they are going to approach the following years, maybe their new direction is budget lineup/ festivals which are at least affordable for Hungarians/young audience.

Having been to Balaton Sound/Sziget 15+ times this massive decline is very tough to watch...

Sziget group got f**ked by covid real hard, and understandably so. I dont know much about other European governments, but I can imagine they at least offered so financial help for the festivals. Here it was nothing.

Combine that with the general inflation in Hungary, the weakening of the forint, the inflation within the music industry and the deteriation of the consumer power and here we are.

Very sad to see honestly. 2018 and 2019 was prime time for Sziget, they were definitely a top 5 festival in Europe, and now its just like any average happening.

And honestly, being "cheap" just wont work out, its not going to engage customers, people wont be coming back - understandably so. It wont work, you either go big and build something big or sort of die, or just become small and irrelevant.

• Like 2

I am coming from the UK with my wife, two kids and daughter's partner. I am paying for everything for all of us.

So, that's: flights, festival tickets, accommodation in Budapest, train/taxi to and from the festival, food, drink, airport parking in UK, taxis to and from airport in Budapest etc etc.

So far, I have spent around 3,000 euros with at least another 1,000 euros still to spend on the food and drink etc.

As a Hungarian teenager spending 180 euros on the festival ticket I think Sziget still offers value for money.

As a middle-aged bloke I keep looking at the line-up and wondering what else my 4,000 euros could have been spent on....! 

48 minutes ago, billybigballs said:

I am coming from the UK with my wife, two kids and daughter's partner. I am paying for everything for all of us.

So, that's: flights, festival tickets, accommodation in Budapest, train/taxi to and from the festival, food, drink, airport parking in UK, taxis to and from airport in Budapest etc etc.

So far, I have spent around 3,000 euros with at least another 1,000 euros still to spend on the food and drink etc.

As a Hungarian teenager spending 180 euros on the festival ticket I think Sziget still offers value for money.

As a middle-aged bloke I keep looking at the line-up and wondering what else my 4,000 euros could have been spent on....! 

Young People in Hungary earn about 500 eur a month, so telling them to spend even above 200 euros for the festival that btw has garbage lineup and plus food will be another 200… not a great pitch for them either unless mummy and daddy pays for them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, billybigballs said:

Value-wise, of course, but in absolute terms, this is huge money for a teenager or a uni student in Hungary. For most Sziget goers from that population, Sziget is their only holiday for the year/summer, they cannot afford the two. It was for me anyway

Edited by ketomika22

53 minutes ago, Akujin said:

Young People in Hungary earn about 500 eur a month, so telling them to spend even above 200 euros for the festival that btw has garbage lineup and plus food will be another 200… not a great pitch for them either unless mummy and daddy pays for them.

Why would you spend 200 euros in food is you are already living in hungary and going to the festival from your own home? I've been living in the island for 8 days and never spent 100 euros, c'mon. You have Aldi, Auchan, Lidl, and food isn't SO expensive inside. 

Edited by Gabi Ruiz

54 minutes ago, Akujin said:

Well, I feel ever so slightly tone deaf now. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. Good point well made.

Most of my friends aren't coming because it's so expensive and they're between 25 and 30. They say they'd rather go on a holiday abroad.

180 eur is enough to fly over to Italy and get yourself an okay accommodation for 3 nights, the food and drinks aren't more expensive than at Sziget either. I can afford both, but I completely understand people who prefer a holiday in Italy with their friends instead of going to Sziget if it has a rubbish line up.

edit: also, there are festivals in Hungary that cost about a 100 eur and you'll see every popular Hungarian artists there. So it's not really worth it to spend 2x as much and see names like Sam Smith or Halsey, I've never met anyone in my life who said "oh I love Halsey I'm excited to see her".

Edited by kristofm

On 4/8/2024 at 8:38 AM, billybigballs said:

"90% of the artists are relevant in today's market and will appeal to most of the people"

How you seen the social media response to the line-up? Lol.

Just be happy, there will be more room for everyone. 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Just be happy, there will be more room for everyone. 😄

Fair point. Our first ever visit to Sziget was 2019 with Ed Sheeran headlining the first day.

Everywhere was packed, queuing for 30 minutes at the bars etc. Couldn't get within 200 metres of the stage. Thought we'd made a massive mistake.

Went back the next day with The 1975 headlining and it was like there'd been a bomb scare!

47 minutes ago, billybigballs said:

Fair point. Our first ever visit to Sziget was 2019 with Ed Sheeran headlining the first day.

Everywhere was packed, queuing for 30 minutes at the bars etc. Couldn't get within 200 metres of the stage. Thought we'd made a massive mistake.

Went back the next day with The 1975 headlining and it was like there'd been a bomb scare!

Yes didn't even attempt to see sheeran, so busy. 

I'm still undecided on attending, I don't usually see a lot of the headliners. It's not the worst set of headliners I've seen. I would personally watch 4 out of the 6. My only real gripe is the deterioration of the A38 arena last few years, that's the make or break for me. At 50 I don't expect the main stage to be bustling with my type of music. 

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Yes didn't even attempt to see sheeran, so busy. 

I'm still undecided on attending, I don't usually see a lot of the headliners. It's not the worst set of headliners I've seen. I would personally watch 4 out of the 6. My only real gripe is the deterioration of the A38 arena last few years, that's the make or break for me. At 50 I don't expect the main stage to be bustling with my type of music. 

I agree, don't care about the headliners either, but the undercard wayyyy more ^^ A38 use to be huge...

Now I'm lookin' at the Europe stage, which sometimes made me discover some great artists ^^