+ Avril Lavigne, Yungblud, Deus, The Last Dinner Party, Michael Kiwanuka, Nothing But Thieves, Royal Blood, Khruangbin, Sum 41, Roisin Murphy, Snow Patrol

None of them will play on Thursday. Tickets go on sale on Friday and there aren't any bands announced for Thursday...

Edited by Archi

Apologies for the double post but a single act there for the Thursday yet according to the press release

It's time for a round of new names for Rock Werchter. Previously announced were headline acts Foo Fighters, Dua Lipa and Måneskin. The list of new arrivals for the upcoming edition is as captivating as it is varied. dEUS, Snow Patrol, Yungblud and Sum 41 are coming to Werchter on Friday 5 July. Saturday 6 July will feature newcomers like The Last Dinner Party, Róisín Murphy, Nothing But Thieves, Avril Lavigne and Khruangbin. Michael Kiwanuka and Royal Blood will play the festival on Sunday 7 July. More names will be revealed soon.

Edited by 49Lawson
Forgot to post info

Very cool announcement! Not a lot of names but many interesting. The duo Dua Lipa/Avril Lavigne is cool. Having ManeskinYungblud and Sum 41 is great. Wondering the spot Snow Patrol would have there. In 2018, they played before The Killers and London Grammar. In 2022, they headlined Lokerse Feesten. I hope Deus isn't co-headline. Even for Belgium in 2024, it's a bit cheap...

Edited by Archi
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Apologies for the double post but a single act there for the Thursday yet according to the press release

It's time for a round of new names for Rock Werchter. Previously announced were headline acts Foo Fighters, Dua Lipa and Måneskin. The list of new arrivals for the upcoming edition is as captivating as it is varied. dEUS, Snow Patrol, Yungblud and Sum 41 are coming to Werchter on Friday 5 July. Saturday 6 July will feature newcomers like The Last Dinner Party, Róisín Murphy, Nothing But Thieves, Avril Lavigne and Khruangbin. Michael Kiwanuka and Royal Blood will play the festival on Sunday 7 July. More names will be revealed soon.

If I had to have a guess looking at this I would say:

Best case scenario:

Friday:

Maneskin > ??? > Yungblud > Sum 41

Deus > Snow Patrol in the Barn

Saturday:

Dua Lipa > ??? > Avril > ??? > Nothing But Thieves

Sunday

Foos > ??? > Royal Blood

Michael K in the Barn

Worst Case Scenario:

Friday

Some combo of Deus/Maneskin/Yungblud as top 2

Saturday

Dua Lipa/Avril Lavigne

Sunday

Foos/Royal Blood top 2

And I say "worst case scenario" in the sense that 'it's good and there's a few interesting names, but for the price that Werchter charge these should be good level undercard names at best, not in the headlining slots, especially when you look at who is around next year"

Ouch! A bit underwhelming for me and not because these are bad names...(ok I'm not crasy about any of them either)

Following the recent announcements from other festivals I had higher hopes as several bands that I'd love to see at RW are around in that period and being announced elsewhere. Hopefully there are many more to come this week - we are just at the beginning.

• Like 2

Pretty underwhelmed by this. Royal Blood, Yungblud, Sum41, Nothing But Thieves all feel very tired bookings... Kruangbin is the highlight here but otherwise this is all pretty bland. 

Maybe I had higher hopes after that stellar Primavera lineup and the likes of LCD Soundsystem, Massive Attack and The Smile being around. 

Edited by matrainertje
  • Like 3

That's a very classic average Werchter packet if I've seen one. Royal Blood. NBT, Kiwanuka, Sum 41, Yungblub... All there in 2022, and back to take higher spots already... Happy about Deus and Roisin though. Also Avril Lavigne could be very fun.

Nothing bad about the announcement, just very average.

Edited by polnico
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

If I had to have a guess looking at this I would say:

Best case scenario:

Friday:

Maneskin > ??? > Yungblud > Sum 41

Deus > Snow Patrol in the Barn

Saturday:

Dua Lipa > ??? > Avril > ??? > Nothing But Thieves

Sunday

Foos > ??? > Royal Blood

Michael K in the Barn

Worst Case Scenario:

Friday

Some combo of Deus/Maneskin/Yungblud as top 2

Saturday

Dua Lipa/Avril Lavigne

Sunday

Foos/Royal Blood top 2

And I say "worst case scenario" in the sense that 'it's good and there's a few interesting names, but for the price that Werchter charge these should be good level undercard names at best, not in the headlining slots, especially when you look at who is around next year"

No way are Nothing But Thieves 5 down on the main

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gingerevans84 said:

No way are Nothing But Thieves 5 down on the main

Yeah they're a band whose popularity I find very hard to gauge due to them playing wildly different slots all across Europe. Them playing 6th down Main Stage 2022 made me think 5th seemed reasonable but I have no idea really. Maybe 3rd down Barn against a poppier act?

2 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Yeah they're a band whose popularity I find very hard to gauge due to them playing wildly different slots all across Europe. Them playing 6th down Main Stage 2022 made me think 5th seemed reasonable but I have no idea really. Maybe 3rd down Barn against a poppier act?

They sold out Lotto Arena pretty quick on their tour, so I'd say 4th down would seem most likely solely based on that. 3rd is a stretch, but possible. I think NBT -> Avril Lavigne -> Dua Lipa is a tiny bit too weak though, so probs 4th down.

14 minutes ago, just_one said:

how come you have a presale starting tomorrow and you have NO band for thursday?

they HAVE to announce something tomorrow right?

It could bode well that they're confident that whatever they have for that Thursday is going to sell tickets thought. (Just trying to keep the spirits up haha)

12 minutes ago, polnico said:

They sold out Lotto Arena pretty quick on their tour, so I'd say 4th down would seem most likely solely based on that. 3rd is a stretch, but possible. I think NBT -> Avril Lavigne -> Dua Lipa is a tiny bit too weak though, so probs 4th down.

Yeah the more I think about it Avril Lavigne probably is the co-head/glorified sub there looking at her other positions around Europe. I agree though that that would be a weak seeming top 3, even though it is a great female top 2 to help diversify the top of the line up.

9 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Still a bit disappointing that The Smile, Massive Attack, PJ Harvey etc. are nowhere to be seen. Hoping for better news soon regarding those. 

The question (and concern) is: If they have them, why didn't they announce them today already? I really hope it's just bad marketing technics (they were never really good at it anyway).