Best glamping for next year. Advice needed please.

angelin

As a side note, we’ve been looking at hiring motorhomes for next year and staying in general Camper Vans East… But it’s looking like costing twice as much for the same group… 2 x motorhomes £2000 - £2500 to hire… Plus pitch fees!!! 

Really want to try a motorhome (want to try every different option that we can afford eventually.) but the £3k between 6 is going to be very difficult to save for!!! And yet we spotted absolutely loads of hired motorhomes, in fact it’s the details of the ones we spotted this year that we’ve used to get quotes for next year. I find it weird how nobody bats an eyelid at those…

Genuinely twice as expensive. Fair play if you own one, but I can’t afford that, I don’t like finance as it is, bought my car after saving. But we did look into financing one, and it was like £700, every month, for 7 years!!! It was pretty low end too.

One day I’ll have the time to convert a high top LWB, mark my words, but right now I’m working way too many hours for that. 😕 

Not gonna pile on @Superscally but whatever your views on glamping, love fields and all the rest of it, airing them quite so...clearly on a post making enquiries re: accessibility issues is a bit off pal.

FWIW I'm not a massive fan of them either, but time and place and all that.

Message ends 👍

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Not gonna pile on @Superscally but whatever your views on glamping, love fields and all the rest of it, airing them quite so...clearly on a post making enquiries re: accessibility issues is a bit off pal.

Message ends 👍

No offence taken, don’t worry, and I hope he and the OP took none either. It’s an opinion forum, he has an opinion and is entitled to air it. (Some of his preconceptions are wrong, but that’s what discussion is for.) 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

No offence taken, don’t worry, and I hope he and the OP took none either. It’s an opinion forum, he has an opinion and is entitled to air it. (Some of his preconceptions are wrong, but that’s what discussion is for.) 

I'm being offended on someone else's behalf, what else is the internet for?  😁

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, angelin said:

If you know of a hotel and an easy way to get a taxi that’s less than that please do share as it’s another idea. People can camp where they want with their honest money. Sometimes things just happened and they take the wind out of your sail and things have to be adjusted accordingly.

There’s a shuttle bus from Glastonbury town hall, runs hourly to and from the site starting 7am to 2am the next morning. 4.50 per journey. Travelodge and premier inn in town are bookable but get dearer as you get nearer the festival time annd then sell out.  Also cheaper if you book a week rather than the five festival days. Taxis have to be booked well in advance and very hard if not impossible to get.  An option if camping anywhere on or off site is a problem. 

Haven't posted here in ages but wanted to offer my two cents as @angelin sounds like you maybe have accessibility needs. My friend applied for access camping this year and it was a lifesaver for her. Loads of space, you can get a shuttle bus from the gate to the campsite, there are clean toilets and showers etc. She was allowed to have three people with her so we all camped there. Right by Woodsies but honestly just a stone's throw from Pyramid too. I'd really recommend it. Not sure what your issues are and if you'd be eligible but it's worth applying and seeing if they can help. Had a great experience camping there this year.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Haven't posted here in ages but wanted to offer my two cents as @angelin sounds like you maybe have accessibility needs. My friend applied for access camping this year and it was a lifesaver for her. Loads of space, you can get a shuttle bus from the gate to the campsite, there are clean toilets and showers etc. She was allowed to have three people with her so we all camped there. Right by Woodsies but honestly just a stone's throw from Pyramid too. I'd really recommend it. Not sure what your issues are and if you'd be eligible but it's worth applying and seeing if they can help. Had a great experience camping there this year.

👋

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Quark said:

Message ends 👍

Hey chief! Got me a bit wrong there. I was railing against this land being used for massively expensive camping when it should be made available FOR accessibility. Even if the organisers could make a concession to their huge profits to make an area available to those who need it for "cost" price, that would be massive...but they won't, because all they care about is the money. Where is the Love? Not in those Fields.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Superscally said:

Hey chief! Got me a bit wrong there. I was railing against this land being used for massively expensive camping when it should be made available FOR accessibility. Even if the organisers could make a concession to their huge profits to make an area available to those who need it for "cost" price, that would be massive...but they won't, because all they care about is the money. Where is the Love? Not in those Fields.

Fair dos. Meant to catch you at the meet btw but got caught up in chat (as you do) and lost sight. Hope you had a good one 

18 minutes ago, Quark said:

Fair dos. Meant to catch you at the meet btw but got caught up in chat (as you do) and lost sight. Hope you had a good one 

Yeh man, saw lots of friendly faces, but never as much as you hoped. Had a mixed one. Musically incredible, but wasn't in the right emotional headspace due to family issues. If I could have handed ticket to someone else, wouldn't have gone, but still have enough lovely memories from the peaks to make me return. Hope yours was ace x

5 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Yeh man, saw lots of friendly faces, but never as much as you hoped. Had a mixed one. Musically incredible, but wasn't in the right emotional headspace due to family issues. If I could have handed ticket to someone else, wouldn't have gone, but still have enough lovely memories from the peaks to make me return. Hope yours was ace x

Ugh. Obvs don't want or expect details but hope all works out ok. Sounds crap. 

Feel bad now saying I had a cracker! (obviously I don't feel that bad 😉)

Edited by Quark

It sounds like you might be in touch already with the access team but I would highly recommend spring ground if that would make it easier for you, and possibly applying for a PA depending on your circumstances.

I have camped at SG for the last few times I have been, I have a +1 access requirement but don't apply for a PA as we get a ticket for my husband who usually helps.

However, I am rethinking that as I realise I can't/shouldn't rely 100% on him.  😑

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

If I understand it right, your main gripe was with the land owners selfishness and profiteering, not renting the fields to the festival like other local land owners because they see a route to much bigger profits on the back of the festival. And a small amount of resentment to us for supporting their profiteering. 

I can understand that.

Imagine if all land owners around there decided they wanted to try the same, and not rent their land to the festival... (Assuming some land is still rented?) I get your point, and it's a good one (assuming I've got this right?) 

3 hours ago, Alvoram said:

One day I’ll have the time to convert a high top LWB, mark my words, but right now I’m working way too many hours for that. 😕 

I was surprised seeing a few hired vans as well, I'd have thought at that point just straight up glamping would work out better, benefits of campervan is travel before and after I suppose.

In terms of getting one, converting yourself is definitely the way to go. Prices once converted are ridiculous, and anyone with half decent DIY skills can do it. If you're worried about electrics you can pay over the odds and just buy a premade kit from somewhere like wired campers, but again, a few hours researching online and you could just do it yourself (they're all basically the same systems)

3 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I was surprised seeing a few hired vans as well, I'd have thought at that point just straight up glamping would work out better, benefits of campervan is travel before and after I suppose.

In terms of getting one, converting yourself is definitely the way to go. Prices once converted are ridiculous, and anyone with half decent DIY skills can do it. If you're worried about electrics you can pay over the odds and just buy a premade kit from somewhere like wired campers, but again, a few hours researching online and you could just do it yourself (they're all basically the same systems)

Thanks, my biggest worry is more the woodwork tbh, I'm pretty good with electrical work, and even plumbing, but woodwork (and metalwork, cutting out the windows etc terrifies me) has never been my strong point. 

I've been watching Youtube conversions for at least a couple of years now, with a mind to picking up ideas and skills (in theory.) I'll bet when I'm ready to take the plunge that there's some good forums / communities on the internet too? 

14 hours ago, Mark H said:

How were the toilet and shower queues? I stayed at Worthy View last year and was a bit disappointed by the facilities. Might have a think about Tangerine fields if they manage that a bit better… also has the bonus of being able to book as soon as you have a ticket and not waiting around for second “T-day..”

Yes the queues were quite long the later in the morning you left it but manageable.  Also good for us as we got local tickets and there was a camp resale

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I was eligible last year but was put off by someone telling me its so far out. When you say four people can come with you do you mean with their four tents? . I dnt know how I will be next year as its a quite rare case Im dealing with. This year I was very tired and the weather didnt help. The accessibility team were a godsend. I was disappointed with the toilets around site though. Even the people manning them said they hardly so any cleaners this year. My ideal situation would be WV without  the hill. I dont just want to stop going its been my annual break since Travis headlined in the wet 90’s.

3 hours ago, Alvoram said:

If I understand it right, your main gripe was with the land owners selfishness and profiteering, not renting the fields to the festival like other local land owners because they see a route to much bigger profits on the back of the festival. And a small amount of resentment to us for supporting their profiteering. 

I can understand that.

Imagine if all land owners around there decided they wanted to try the same, and not rent their land to the festival... (Assuming some land is still rented?) I get your point, and it's a good one (assuming I've got this right?) 

Bang on. In a round about way. Everyone has to make some money and I get that the festival is an inconvenience for many, but the sheer cost of it...squeezing the lemon dry. Skankery. Some can afford it. Most would be stretched, but still elect to do it because of their circumstances. f**k that guy/gal. 

1 hour ago, angelin said:

I was eligible last year but was put off by someone telling me its so far out. When you say four people can come with you do you mean with their four tents? . I dnt know how I will be next year as its a quite rare case Im dealing with. This year I was very tired and the weather didnt help. The accessibility team were a godsend. I was disappointed with the toilets around site though. Even the people manning them said they hardly so any cleaners this year. My ideal situation would be WV without  the hill. I dont just want to stop going its been my annual break since Travis headlined in the wet 90’s.

I suppose it depends by what you mean by far out. As I say, it was right next door to Woodsies this year (I believe it used to be somewhere else though; it's Spring Ground now). We could walk three minutes one way and be in Woodsies and three minutes the other and be at back of Pyramid. It's not close to SE Corner/Park, though.

So my friend has stage four cancer so a lot of aspects of the festival would have been difficult for her (and still were to a degree, including access to accessible toilets around the site) but we really found it helped. She was allowed three other people camping with her. One was her PA/husband and the other two were me and my partner. We got given wristbands that allowed us into the field that we had to show to get in and out. No limit on tents and there is so much space in the field compared to the others (they have to keep pathways etc for wheelchairs) that I don't think it would matter if all four of you brought a tent. We could have fit loads more around us.

On top of that it felt very secure and chilled at night, like a little oasis of calm to come back to when my friend was struggling with the heat/crowds/walking. We really rated it. And of course it's at no extra cost, which is a big bonus.

We didn't drive but I believe if you do and you have access parking it's very close by.

Thank you for that and I hope your friends treatment will give her more good quality time. Things have changed, so they tell me. I beleive they do pre erected on that campsite also so that might be worth looking into. Where you able to use the short cuts with her?  Its just not a side to the festival Im used to but it sounds like it could work if I can somehow get my extra two friends in with their tents and me and three friends in an erected. It might be something the6 would allow if theres such a big space. Youve been very helpful and thank you for not giving me a mouthfull😀😀

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I spoke to my friends about this on one of the podcasts (shameless plug).  One of the key messages is that people should ask for the assistance that is available because you would expect it day to day life.  There is chat about the process in there as well

Edited by Festival Sounds Podcast
  • Upvote 1