Legends Slot 2024

FuzzyDunlop

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

In less than a decade she'll be just as established as Kylie was when she did it.

That's not indicative of anything though. Kylie was - by far - the youngest act ever to do it both in terms of age and in terms of the musical career. I can't remember the exact numbers but it's by something like 15 years.

So far there's absolutely no indication that she's set a precedent here. To be blunt about it - if she didn't have that specific history with the Festival, she's not booked in that slot in 2019. They wanted to bring her in after 2005 didn't happen, but she obviously wasn't at headliner level anymore. So the next most prestigious slot with the biggest crowd of the weekend was the sensible compromise.

1 minute ago, incident said:

That's not indicative of anything though. Kylie was - by far - the youngest act ever to do it both in terms of age and in terms of the musical career. I can't remember the exact numbers but it's by something like 15 years.

So far there's absolutely no indication that she's set a precedent here. To be blunt about it - if she didn't have that specific history with the Festival, she's not booked in that slot in 2019. They wanted to bring her in after 2005 didn't happen, but she obviously wasn't at headliner level anymore. So the next most prestigious slot with the biggest crowd of the weekend was the sensible compromise.

they're gonna have to branch out more if they want to keep the slot in the future

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yes, let's flog a concept to the point where it becomes diluted and a shadow of its former self.

Something that the modern version of the festival has a reputation for.

Cat Stevens aside, its arguably in way more of a purple patch right now than the Shirley Bassey and Tom Jones years.

6 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

they're gonna have to branch out more if they want to keep the slot in the future

The passage of time takes care of that for them.

The idea of say Cyndi Lauper would have been considered far too modern for a "legends slot" 15 or so years back, but she's about coming into range now (and that's with most of her hits coming before Kylie was even on Neighbours).

Edited by incident

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Cyndi Lauper isn't an out there booking stylistically - she just doesn't have a deep enough bench of bangers.

She doesn't have a full hour, Diana Ross style.

Still has more than plenty of previous choices. Do I need to name them?

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm plenty familiar, but I'm struggling with who she's got a bigger arsenal than....

In terms of "bangers" that the crowd would be excited to hear - she's ahead of Kenny Rogers, Cat Stevens, Paul Simon. I'd say it wouldn't be far off Neil Diamond in terms of one huge hit, a few minor hits, and then quite a bit of stuff that 90% of the field doesn't recognise.

26 minutes ago, incident said:

I'd say it wouldn't be far off Neil Diamond in terms of one huge hit, a few minor hits, and then quite a bit of stuff that 90% of the field doesn't recognise.

Neil Diamond had 38 top 40 hits in the UK, and 10 number 1’s in the US. 

He’s sold 100 million records. The same as Prince, George Michael, Guns N Roses, Paul McCartney solo. 

52 minutes ago, incident said:

In terms of "bangers" that the crowd would be excited to hear - she's ahead of Kenny Rogers, Cat Stevens, Paul Simon. I'd say it wouldn't be far off Neil Diamond in terms of one huge hit, a few minor hits, and then quite a bit of stuff that 90% of the field doesn't recognise.

Ahead of Paul Simon for bangers? I think that's a stretch when you're talking about his solo work and Simon & Garfunkle work. Not even comparable in my view. 

Aware Paul Simon's set wasn't an all time classic cos of illness. But across his career and the size of the gigs he's played at, Graceland album and S&G success...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Ahead of Paul Simon for bangers? I think that's a stretch when you're talking about his solo work and Simon & Garfunkle work. Not even comparable in my view. 

Aware Paul Simon's set wasn't an all time classic cos of illness. But across his career and the size of the gigs he's played at, Graceland album and S&G success...

Don't get me wrong I'd be allllll over a Lauper set at Glasto...

3 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Does Barry Manilow have enough bangers? (I say this as a man who has seen Barry Manilow before.)

About 5 or 6 that most people would know and likely sing along to. So it’s just about enough. My wife took me to see him many years ago and I expected it to be the worst concert I could imagine, but I was wrong. None of these singers last forever without knowing how to get a crowd going. Wouldn’t be my choice for Glastonbury though.