Olivia Rodrigo

FloorFiller

On 7/10/2023 at 5:25 PM, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Here you go

She really did absolutely crush it. Although still thinking about my friend’s teenage daughter who thought she was introducing ‘Billie Eilish’ onto the stage only for Lily Allen to walk out instead hahaha. 

Thank you for this, i have been hunting for ages - My Daughter and Wife went (i was working that night) loved it but have only found the lilly allen bit online - they are gonna be made up at this

• Upvote 1

It's subjective and opinion based, but absolutely no way does Olivia Rodrigo headline next year, nor should she. Nothing to do with merit, she just plain and simply isn't big enough to headline surely. Just checked and her last tour in the UK was around Apollo's and o2 Academy's of the world. I think she needs one arena tour on the second album to be in contention for a headline slot, so still think she has some dues to pay before she's anywhere near a headliner for the biggest festival in the world sorry. I get she's got the youth/trajectory/fans to make a push towards superstardom, but after 1 album and a small run of UK shows, it's quite baffling that she's being pushed by a few as headliner material. If she releases her next album tomorrow and she's all over the top 10 and we can't avoid her on the drive to and from work, then maybe as a wild card and a lack of other options she gets the nod, but to say she's already there and should be pushed simultaneously to Dua/Fender/Dave who should all take centre stage I think as a pyramid headliner before O-Rod, I think is hopeful fast-tracking above all else. I think if album 2 does well, and she has a couple of big hits, she's most likely nearly there, but I still think she's this + a proper arena tour away from being close to a headliner for Glastonbury. 

8 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

How does this all compare to where Stormzy was in 2019?

Similar positions for sure. Although I think being a UK festival it does account for more making your way up from the bottom and progressing a big part of UK culture. Grime had felt stale for some time, and I think Stormzy across 2016 - 2019 when he headlined rejuvinated the genre. Skepta still had a few big tracks coming through with Shut Down and That's Not Me, and I enjoyed Ghetts 2018 release also, but it felt as though Stormzy was the leader of the new school at the time, and was a huge driving force of a slowly fading genre with no new mainstream stars coming through since the earlier days of grime/UK rap. I can remember thinking Heavy is the Head was due to come out earlier than it did, and I may be wrong but expected that to be out long before his Glastonbury headline slot in 2019. 

So agree that positions are similar in terms of 1 album, past experience, relatively known songs/hits, but I do think the relativity of being the widely known leader of the new school of mainstream grime coming through at that time 4 - 5 years ago definitely made the gamble for the festival easier to sell. Since then you've had the likes of Dave, J Hus and now even Central Cee making themselves household names to an extent (I don't believe J Hus or Central Cee ever get near a headline slot on the pyramid btw), but I think in terms of steam, Stormzy had more behind him at the time, and was a homegrown talent, leading a homegrown genre of music back to the mainstream. 

39 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

It's subjective and opinion based, but absolutely no way does Olivia Rodrigo headline next year, nor should she. Nothing to do with merit, she just plain and simply isn't big enough to headline surely. Just checked and her last tour in the UK was around Apollo's and o2 Academy's of the world. I think she needs one arena tour on the second album to be in contention for a headline slot, so still think she has some dues to pay before she's anywhere near a headliner for the biggest festival in the world sorry. I get she's got the youth/trajectory/fans to make a push towards superstardom, but after 1 album and a small run of UK shows, it's quite baffling that she's being pushed by a few as headliner material. If she releases her next album tomorrow and she's all over the top 10 and we can't avoid her on the drive to and from work, then maybe as a wild card and a lack of other options she gets the nod, but to say she's already there and should be pushed simultaneously to Dua/Fender/Dave who should all take centre stage I think as a pyramid headliner before O-Rod, I think is hopeful fast-tracking above all else. I think if album 2 does well, and she has a couple of big hits, she's most likely nearly there, but I still think she's this + a proper arena tour away from being close to a headliner for Glastonbury. 

Re: No Arena Tour.

Ive just looked and Billie Eilish hadnt done a UK arena tour before she was announced (she did an area tour with Glastonbury a part of it).

Personally I think O Rodrigo is on the Billie Eillish path & she'll be headlining next year. (I could be well wrong)

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think she's on the track, but worth noting she couldn't manage to budge Dave and Central Cee off #1.

It's true, but I'd say that's a testament to how huge the Dave/Cench song is rn, as opposed to O-Rod's song flopping or whatever.

Anyway, I agree with the point that Rodrigo is on the same trajectory as Eilish, and if she could headline in 2022 then Olivia can headline in 2024. I don't think she will, but If Dua Lipa drops out for whatever reason (presuming she's one of the headliners) then I could see them giving Olivia a call.

19 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Re: No Arena Tour.

Ive just looked and Billie Eilish hadnt done a UK arena tour before she was announced (she did an area tour with Glastonbury a part of it).

Personally I think O Rodrigo is on the Billie Eillish path & she'll be headlining next year. (I could be well wrong)

Sure it was said earlier in this thread that the demand for an arena tour was there on the last album but they held off on it to let her find her feet as a live performer first. The demand for those Academy gigs was insane so it’s believable. I will be very surprised if she hasn’t completed a huge arena tour by the time next summer rolls around. 

17 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Sure it was said earlier in this thread that the demand for an arena tour was there on the last album but they held off on it to let her find her feet as a live performer first. The demand for those Academy gigs was insane so it’s believable. I will be very surprised if she hasn’t completed a huge arena tour by the time next summer rolls around. 

Yeah she personally requested to do the smaller shows as she didn’t want to just jump straight in to arenas even though she easily could’ve, and yeah can’t imagine an arena tour is far off being announced and then instantly selling out. 

19 hours ago, StevieGed said:

If she releases her next album tomorrow and she's all over the top 10 and we can't avoid her on the drive to and from work, then maybe as a wild card and a lack of other options she gets the nod

But that's the whole point.

1) She is releasing her next album in less than two months time.

2) The singles from Sour were relentlessly on the radio and the album spent a long time high on the album charts, also critically acclaimed.

3) No reason at this stage to think album 2 won't have a similar run and reception to Sour

4) Has a relationship with the festival and has already played a set which went down very well (I was there it was great)

5) There literally is a lack of other female options next year as far as we can all tell which is why Olivia is being speculated

Edited by JonSnow

The last few weeks have really warmed me to the idea of ORod headlining. It's a carbon copy of Billie.

She's a really talented young female artist who perfectly captures the zeitgeist, will have 2 albums out by Glasto '24, and has broad appeal that spans across most generations due to her large profile. I'm all for it, and I'd go as far saying that I'd probably even see her on the Pyramid if she did headline

Just now, JayDiesel said:

The last few weeks have really warmed me to the idea of ORod headlining. It's a carbon copy of Billie.

She's a really talented young female artist who perfectly captures the zeitgeist, will have 2 albums out by Glasto '24, and has broad appeal that spans across most generations due to her large profile. I'm all for it, and I'd go as far saying that I'd probably even see her on the Pyramid if she did headline

Not sure I'd bother seeing her, but this is 100% the way the festival should be going with headliners.

If they're going to insist in dragging out "old duffers", then put them in the "legends slot".

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Can we add Blur to the dragging out the "old duffers" thinking 😛   Every time someone mentions them I think, what that band I first listened to when I was 13 and thought was cutting edge back then ffs 😛 

Glastonbury is running the risk of becoming a retirement home rather than an actual Music festival...   Just need Madonna and her walking stick to finish the job off 😛 

Agree on both points.

Glastonbury needs to take more "risks" re headliners. Although they're not actually risks at all.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Not sure I'd bother seeing her, but this is 100% the way the festival should be going with headliners.

If they're going to insist in dragging out "old duffers", then put them in the "legends slot".

I wouldn't be front pit waiting for her hours in advance, but her hit rate at the moment is impressive. She had no dud tracks on her first album, and Vampire absolutely bangs (as a straight, non emotionally troubled white male), so I can see her holding my attention for 90 mins or so. Depends who she'd be up against ofc.

The 'old duffers' part is hard to balance I'd say. GnR this year was a shocking booking, but they'd never play the Legends slot. it just wouldn't happen. It's the same with this year's *rumoured* oldies - Madonna, Kate Bush (lol), Billy Joel, they're acts that are just too high profile to swallow a non headlining slot

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

O-Rod's too safe of a bet if anything 

In 2024 they should go with Maisie Peters, CMAT and D-Block Europe to headline.

Plenty of risk.

I suggest Kae Tempest.

They would really shake up the "picnic blanket posse"

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

O-Rod's too safe of a bet if anything 

In 2024 they should go with Maisie Peters, CMAT and D-Block Europe to headline.

Plenty of risk.

That's not risk, that's just ridiculous. Maisie Peters? She's little more than a Taylor Swift tribute act.

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I suggest Kae Tempest.

They would really shake up the "picnic blanket posse"

The Radio 4 and broadsheet-endorsed performance poet? Think on, grandad.

2 minutes ago, km9 said:

That's not risk, that's just ridiculous. Maisie Peters? She's little more than a Taylor Swift tribute act.

Yes, but she's young.

32 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Agree on both points.

Glastonbury needs to take more "risks" re headliners. Although they're not actually risks at all.

A festival that can sell out 5 times over very clearly doesn't need to take risks