Who should really call it a day?

Mr_Grump

2 hours ago, Revol said:

Who should call it a day? - the list was very long but I've narrowed it down to 7 

(a) The Arctic Monkeys - please stop headlining an event you never seem all that bothered about

(b) Arcadia - job done - or at least move to a different area and release the land for camping

(c) Jo Whiley

(d) Glastonbury on sea - just another excuse to sell more merch

(e) Shangri La - bring back Lost Vagueness all is forgiven (younger readers will have no idea what I'm talking about)

(f) the person who thinks that 203,000+ is a suitable figure for a festival in a relatively limited area - capacity seems to be going up 10,000 per festival since the late 2010's.

(g) The Leftfield stage - perhaps shake it up a bit and acknowledge that not everyone is on the left - having a bit of an alternative political view to balance things up may make for interesting viewing than a tent full of people who clap at everything - John Harris please note.

Glastonbury: 93,94,95,98,00,02,03,04,05,07,08,09,10,11,13,14,15,16,17,19,22,23 (yet I still find people who have been more than me)!

Fleadh: 93

Phoenix: 94,97

Reading: 92,01

Some of this doesn't necessarily fit the topic, but the one that really stands out is G. 

They don't have to run things past Ofcom  to "balance things up". 

As ME says on their page

"The Worker’s Beer Company and myself started the Left Field Tent, following our tradition of campaigning for CND and helping the miners who were totally destroyed by Maggie in the eighties.

And before that there was the huge surge of interest in the Green movement’s efforts to clean up our country when the eco warriors arrived here in all their glory in the seventies."

Edited by clarkete
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Revol said:

Who should call it a day? - the list was very long but I've narrowed it down to 7 

(a) The Arctic Monkeys - please stop headlining an event you never seem all that bothered about

(b) Arcadia - job done - or at least move to a different area and release the land for camping

(c) Jo Whiley

(d) Glastonbury on sea - just another excuse to sell more merch

(e) Shangri La - bring back Lost Vagueness all is forgiven (younger readers will have no idea what I'm talking about)

(f) the person who thinks that 203,000+ is a suitable figure for a festival in a relatively limited area - capacity seems to be going up 10,000 per festival since the late 2010's.

(g) The Leftfield stage - perhaps shake it up a bit and acknowledge that not everyone is on the left - having a bit of an alternative political view to balance things up may make for interesting viewing than a tent full of people who clap at everything - John Harris please note.

Glastonbury: 93,94,95,98,00,02,03,04,05,07,08,09,10,11,13,14,15,16,17,19,22,23 (yet I still find people who have been more than me)!

Fleadh: 93

Phoenix: 94,97

Reading: 92,01

The history of the festival means the Left field is still appropriate, if people want to bang on about politics it's a good place for them all to gather. I'm left wing myself but Glastonbury is a good place for me to leave the outside world behind and I avoid all that unless I see something interesting in the Green Futures field.

Id say a bit of that does grate me elsewhere, if I'm in other places like the circus/theatre area and an act is trying to get people going by shouting "isn't Boris a fat old c**t" or "Priti Patel is a evil vile c**t" then I'm like, this ain't what I'm in a tent listening to you for, get on with your juggling or what not.

13 hours ago, Revol said:

Apart from the first couple of years of the SE Corner, Lost Vagueness was far better yeah. 

Shangri La/SE Corner has been sh*t for 10 years. Really stale.

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Apart from the first couple of years of the SE Corner, Lost Vagueness was far better yeah. 

Shangri La/SE Corner has been sh*t for 10 years. Really stale.

Shangri La and Block 9 are too dark vibe wise. The Common has a lovely friendly vibe.

More observations than frustrations, but here you go:

Some of the sound bleed between stages is pretty bad. Example: unless you're underneath the canopy on the Glade, you're getting the sound from the Glade Dome too. Are they trying to cram too many stages within a small area?

Shangri-la definitely needs a re-think. Not just from a creative perspective, but the positioning of those two stages creates horrible bottlenecks. It gets crazy in there.

There needs to be more of an incentive to get the coach. Arriving at 6pm on a Thursday to scramble around for a half-decent pitch is not worth the extra £50+.

That's pretty much it, apart from obvious and well-documented. It's never going to be flawless, but for an operation of its size and scale, they do an unbelievable job.

18 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

More observations than frustrations, but here you go:

Some of the sound bleed between stages is pretty bad. Example: unless you're underneath the canopy on the Glade, you're getting the sound from the Glade Dome too. Are they trying to cram too many stages within a small area?

Shangri-la definitely needs a re-think. Not just from a creative perspective, but the positioning of those two stages creates horrible bottlenecks. It gets crazy in there.

There needs to be more of an incentive to get the coach. Arriving at 6pm on a Thursday to scramble around for a half-decent pitch is not worth the extra £50+.

That's pretty much it, apart from obvious and well-documented. It's never going to be flawless, but for an operation of its size and scale, they do an unbelievable job.

The soundbleed from Stonebridge to the Park main stage can be a bit frustrating if there's a quieter act on the main. Dunno if they can turn the decibels down a bit in the afternoon if they know a slower band is on.

On 6/27/2023 at 8:15 AM, northernangel said:

Bring back the Arcadia show, that's what is missing making it unique.

Hard agree, I loved the performances and the story lines, it made it more of a unique artistic community and not just a stage.

I enjoyed my time at arcadia this year, but without the performances, I didn't really feel bothered about going back after the friday night.

16 minutes ago, mandana said:

Hard agree, I loved the performances and the story lines, it made it more of a unique artistic community and not just a stage.

I enjoyed my time at arcadia this year, but without the performances, I didn't really feel bothered about going back after the friday night.

next year will be something different anyway .... 

19 hours ago, Amy Lawn said:

If Axl didn't own the GnR name they could boot him from the band and get Adam Lambert in.

Boot Duff and all, I don't like the cut of his jib you know.

Yep. Though I'd prefer Myles Kennedy to take over vocal duties. He was amazing with Slash/Velvet Revolver in (I think) 2010.

On 6/27/2023 at 10:17 PM, Amy Lawn said:

If Axl didn't own the GnR name they could boot him from the band and get Adam Lambert in.

Myles Kennedy surely (beaten to it by @TheNewUnion).

Personally I loved GnR and thought Axl was spot on. Really thought he showed the doubters. His timing was impeccable. Closer to what the recordings sound like than Reg was by a mile.

17 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Me. I'm f**king knackered.

Me too. Thought that what was this thread was asking. It's made me ill this year.

• Like 1