Pyramid for Elton

Bike_Like_A_Mum

37 minutes ago, faymondo said:

We tried this and got stuck underneath the screens. it was getting a bit scary in their so we ploughed out and went up on the hill thats normally camping where we had a chill to watch Sophie Ellis Bextor. The sound was shite due to the wind picking up so we got down to the top path and had a lovely panoramic view with space to dance and the sound was improved. Though we did walk further away at one point and the sound went worse again and came back to spot number two. 

Took us about 20 mins to get off the hill towards San Remo.

The streams of people heading away were mental, we sat and watched it from our tent and couldn't believe it was still going so long after 

Appreciate I’ve said this elsewhere and posted a picture of where we were earlier in the thread (row mead). 

We spent 40mins prior to Elton starting weather to go forward and tried but too many people! Turns out sound was shocking due to the wind and volume of people, so spent 20mins trying to find better sound and and was easier to move around a getter a better place. First view va second:5CAF4F51-C87D-4CB3-BA3F-C73D0DF10D36.thumb.jpeg.bb8b3082464d172f2a67404ac788666c.jpeg

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Echo everything that @thatTFBguy said!

One of the best headliner sets I've seen at any festival. Utterly joyous. Thomas (lead singer) did a little speech about how the band understand how festivals work, with so many choices available for the crowd, and how they were so grateful and happy that we'd chosen to spend our Sunday night with them.

The crowd was phenomenal. Not as modest as I wondered it might be, and every single one of us was totally up for it. The crowd singing was amazing (not easy given how unintelligible many of them are, written by a non-originally anglophone!), everyone jumping for the whole set.

I saw a few sets in Woodsies and, as is often the case, the sound was 'fine', rather than the utterly stellar systems on West Holts and, this year, the pretty much flawless Park (sound for Fever Ray and Eyes Blood was impeccable). However, for Phoenix it was like they'd put in a new system (I wonder if they brought their own sound engineer, who knows how to set them up perfectly). Every instrument was on point and the vocals, so often a bit muddy in the tent, were spot on.

Closing the set with 1901 was perfect, after opening with a riotous Lisztomania, during the former with Thomas leaving us to sing his lines in the pre-chorus - and we did!

I've watched half of Elton today and it looks amazing. The field looks incredible and he sounds remarkably good. I'm so glads he played and that so many got the chance to experience that.

But, Phoenix in Woodsies? Why best decision of Glastonbury 2023.

Ben
x

Beautifully put, and every word is spot on. Elton's set looked fantastic on the BBC, but I'm delighted I stuck to my guns and went with Phoenix despite my party telling me I was a fool all Sunday long. Best decision I've made at a festival maybe ever. 

• Upvote 1

Two of us met in line with the merch stall a few songs of the Blondie set in. Managed to get across to a central position just behind the surge barrier. Had a bag with a few tins and some rum and coke but didn’t touch a drop until a third into the Elton set so we didn’t need to pee. Plenty of sitters causing a pain but was expecting it. Was one of my best ever gigs; a massive party from start to finish. Really didn’t want it to end. Leant against the barrier finishing off our tins for 30 mins then walked straight to Toad Hall to find our mate. 

Edited by SighMo

9 hours ago, swede said:

I've been 8 times but the pics of Eltons crowd put me off going back, dont know if I could deal with anything like that, especially as my bladder is getting weaker the older I get once I've had a couple of ciders. 

My daughter wants to go with me in a couple of years once she turns 18 but I think a crowd that scale would terrify her. Plus the bands playing at the same time are playing to hardly anyone as well which is a shame. 

We managed to get a decent view of Elton, a fair way back but just inside the track on the left side of the stage, so could easily nip in and out to go to the urinals. Once the majority of the crowd were settled the path was alright as you can’t really see anything there

9 hours ago, stuwilky said:

The decision to remove row mead was a very late one. There wouldn’t have been time to get the necessary kit ordered and installed before the site opened.

If we’ve lost row mead permanently I’m sure improvements will be made for 2023. 

Still though. OveralL the sound is not that great on the Pyramid field and theyve taken baby steps when it comes production which just cannot cut it anymore.  Like I said, how they have the arrays set up is not that great. Past foh its  an oval. Like they can literally  map out how to make it work better and re arrange it all by finding the spots that are suffering from lack of sound. So it doesnt surprise me at all that people in the back mightve left cause it sounded bad

Edited by Suprefan

7 hours ago, DJL said:

We managed to get a decent view of Elton, a fair way back but just inside the track on the left side of the stage, so could easily nip in and out to go to the urinals. Once the majority of the crowd were settled the path was alright as you can’t really see anything there

That's good to know. I know my daughter would also hate it if she felt like she was penned in. Although I cant see anyone else pulling a crowd like Eltons in the next few years.