Football 2023/24

charlierc

12 hours ago, thetime said:

Can't blame city for Liverpool getting 1 win in 4. In those 4 getting getting 1 point against a sh*t united side, Everton and Palace. 

Liverpool should of got 12 points from those fixtures, not 4 points. They would should have 1 hand on the trophy now.

Hilarious though.

Pretty much. Man City's financial antics are one thing, but Liverpool's form in the last month or so has been pretty poor. Salah and Nunez have been much better going forward than in recent works.

Also I see how little faith the poster had in Arsenal sticking the landing and keeping the Man City wolf from knocking down the door.

29 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Also I see how little faith the poster had in Arsenal sticking the landing and keeping the Man City wolf from knocking down the door.

The fraudsters have 2 games in their hands, one of them started now, meanwhile Arsenal have a huge reputation of unsuccess. But yeah, I'll be rooting for Arsenal to win it and the fraudsters to get points deduction and get their relegation. No one should be allowed to be above the rules. Man City are a disgrace to football, just like PSG.

29 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Pretty much. Man City's financial antics are one thing, but Liverpool's form in the last month or so has been pretty poor. Salah and Nunez have been much better going forward than in recent works.

True. But can you please show how the EPL table would have looked with some correct refereeing, despite the poor form?

Edited by #1SzigetFan

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

With La Liga, it's more that they didn't use goal-line technology. Something which, until the weekend, I didn't know as I assumed most big leagues have it, not least given the Premier League has been using that for over a decade, the Championship now uses it and it seems to work just fine when they remember to turn it on (the exception being Villa v Sheffield United in the first game back after lockdown).

Even without the goal line tech var should pickup the ball over the line 

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

As far as I recall Liverpool have had a bad drop in form every season under klopp 

23 hours ago, #1SzigetFan said:

The fraudsters have 2 games in their hands, one of them started now, meanwhile Arsenal have a huge reputation of unsuccess. But yeah, I'll be rooting for Arsenal to win it and the fraudsters to get points deduction and get their relegation. No one should be allowed to be above the rules. Man City are a disgrace to football, just like PSG.

True. But can you please show how the EPL table would have looked with some correct refereeing, despite the poor form?

Refs and the Man City empire are one thing but if you put your chances away and stop conceding the first goal, that would help. They've left so many points on the table through crap finishing, not least with Salah having looked out of form since his injury and Nunez being unreliable. Though have Liverpool been that f**ked over by the refs? That game at Spurs was one saturated in active incompetence, but they don't seem to have had as many problems as, say, Wolves, who seem to get one ridiculous call against them every week.

I've seen it suggested losing that cup tie 4-3 at Old Trafford has kind of broken the Liverpool rhythm, and I'm guessing that mauling at home to Atalanta in the Europa League didn't help much either. But so too is that in bringing back all the players that recovered from injury, it meant suddenly half the team is trying to regain match fitness at the same time and is as a result a few steps off pace.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Refs and the Man City empire are one thing but if you put your chances away and stop conceding the first goal, that would help. They've left so many points on the table through crap finishing, not least with Salah having looked out of form since his injury and Nunez being unreliable. Though have Liverpool been that f**ked over by the refs? That game at Spurs was one saturated in active incompetence, but they don't seem to have had as many problems as, say, Wolves, who seem to get one ridiculous call against them every week.

I've seen it suggested losing that cup tie 4-3 at Old Trafford has kind of broken the Liverpool rhythm, and I'm guessing that mauling at home to Atalanta in the Europa League didn't help much either. But so too is that in bringing back all the players that recovered from injury, it meant suddenly half the team is trying to regain match fitness at the same time and is as a result a few steps off pace.

Sure mate, I can clearly see Wolves winning the title without ref mistakes. Why don't you compare the points lost by Liverpool due to ref decisions with the number of points lost or won by the teams that realistically fight at the top? At top level, any bad decisions can cost you the title. Should I remind you that Klopp was only 1 point away from winning another title against Guardiola?

The same applies to the fact that bad decisions can cost a team staying up in the league. That reminds me of the recent Forest drama.

In these cases any points lost like that count much more than points lost by teams that aren't fighting realistically for anything (Wolves in your example).

Edited by #1SzigetFan

1 hour ago, #1SzigetFan said:

Sure mate, I can clearly see Wolves winning the title without ref mistakes. Why don't you compare the points lost by Liverpool due to ref decisions with the number of points lost or won by the teams that realistically fight at the top? At top level, any bad decisions can cost you the title. Should I remind you that Klopp was only 1 point away from winning another title against Guardiola?

The same applies to the fact that bad decisions can cost a team staying up in the league. That reminds me of the recent Forest drama.

In these cases any points lost like that count much more than points lost by teams that aren't fighting realistically for anything (Wolves in your example).

Wolves fans could argue that points lost may have cost them a place in Europe. Your argument that points lost only matter to certain teams is quite clearly bullshit. 

6 hours ago, charlierc said:

Decent summary I think 👍

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Wolves fans could argue that points lost may have cost them a place in Europe. Your argument that points lost only matter to certain teams is quite clearly bullshit. 

Aye, it's well known that English clubs really care about European Mickey Mouse cups (with some exceptions)

We already know Liverpool's next manager, time for a meme:

IMG_8277.thumb.jpeg.251d7522bc1d1f6f53829047b39d2072.jpeg

Edited by #1SzigetFan

10 hours ago, charlierc said:

VAR did check but ruled the video evidence was inconclusive so couldn't give Barcelona the goal.

Should be easier to say if the ball is over the line than for whether someone is offside.

12 hours ago, #1SzigetFan said:

10 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Yeah it's quite condescending to imply that for certain teams, a f**k-up means more and only those count. I cited Wolves because they have had a lot of dubious VAR calls go against them this season that have cost them points, whether that was against Man Utd, Luton, Sheffield Utd, Newcastle, West Ham, Bournemouth and goodness knows who else, and missed out on points that would've got them a lot closer to Newcastle & Man United in the chase for Europe. Equally, every club has, at one point this season, felt they've been f**ked over by VAR. It's not a unique thing anymore.

It also doesn't change my opinion that Liverpool have taken themselves out of the title race with their recent collapse in form. Sure, the refs in that game at Spurs were exceptionally bad, but it's no guarantee Liverpool would've won that game either, and since the Carabao Cup final, they've just not looked right.

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

How many years did Fergie have a top 2 budget compared to Klopp?

Klopp’s dropped more running for a bus than the budget Ferguson had at Aberdeen where he won 2 European trophies.

For the record, I was cheering for McLeans Dundee Utd when Fergie was winning cups and titles up here.

7 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

For the record, I was cheering for McLeans Dundee Utd when Fergie was winning cups and titles up here.

What a great side they had mid to late 80s. People forget when they say fergie broke the Glasgow giants grip on titles, that Dundee Utd were heavily involved in that. 

Also losing narrowly losing the UEFA cup final and European cup semi finalists. 

8 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Klopp’s dropped more running for a bus than the budget Ferguson had at Aberdeen where he won 2 European trophies.

Aye, those were the times when with some luck you could play against small clubs and reach at least a European semifinal. Dundee played against the mighty Lens, Craiova, Split and only then Barcelona and Monchengladbach to lose the final against the Goteborg GIANTS. 😂

Looks like that people already forgot that Klopp won 2 titles with Dortmund, a club that was nearly bankrupt when he took over. Also played a CL final with BVB in modern football times.

Edited by #1SzigetFan

8 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Different times though, sadly couldn’t happen today. The research shows the top predictive factor to where a team will finish is wage budget. Fergie had the top wage budget in several occasions. I don’t think Klopp ever has. So I think any comparison has to be considered through that perspective .

Fergie was the manager Man Utd needed at the time and the same was true for Klopp and Liverpool. If Klopp had managed Man City he would have won more, but that’s not how the cards were dealt.

On a completely unrelated note how is Stephen Fletcher considered in Scotland. After years Wrexham have finally had a decent Scottish player. I don’t think I would keep him due to age, but his contributions and personality won’t be forgotten.

7 minutes ago, #1SzigetFan said:

Aye, those were the times when with some luck you could play against small clubs and reach at least a European semifinal. Dundee played against the mighty Lens, Craiova, Split and only then Barcelona and Monchengladbach to lose the final against the Goteborg GIANTS. 😂

Looks like that people already forgot that Klopp won 2 titles with Dortmund, a club that was nearly bankrupt when he took over. Also played a CL final with BVB in modern football times.

Let's not forget liverpool's European Cup win in 1977. 

Crusaders

Trabzonspor

St Etienne

Zurich 

Borussie Monchengladbach 

I would take that off them to be fair. 😃