Football 2023/24

charlierc

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Fergie got to 5 european finals whilst at utd, 4 champions leagues and 1 Cup winners cup.

Klopp got to 3, 2 champions league and a europa. 

As an aside, Fergusons trophy haul at Aberdeen was incredible stuff. It’s unlikely a club outside the old firm will ever win a league title up here again.

He won 3 leagues, 4 Scottish cups and 2 European trophies. 

• Like 1

Just now, thetime said:

You will be getting used to that from next season, you can come and join us. 

You won't be getting close Liverpool Will have overtaken with the number before utd win again. Newc utd will win it before Man utd (just got manure in predictive text).

1 minute ago, Comfy Bean said:

As an aside, Fergusons trophy haul at Aberdeen was incredible stuff. It’s unlikely a club outside the old firm will ever win a league title up here again.

He won 3 leagues, 4 Scottish cups and 2 European trophies. 

As an aside my words weren't aimed at slighting fergie as much as they were aimed at a utd wind up 🙂

6 hours ago, thetime said:

It's no bigger to win more than utd last 10 years.

He should of won more title, with the plaudits he is getting. One league title, and a covid 1 to boot. Great managers raise there game to conquer the likes of city's money. Fergie did it with Roman and his billions.

Klopp has been a success, but not as great as people say for me. 

I like to think I'm a fairly level headed LFC fan. 

Klopp is, without doubt, the best manager we've had in decades and deserves a statue.

The point about it being a "covid title" holds no weight as we were 25 points ahead before football got stopped. 

Klopp finished on 90+ points twice and didn't win the league both times, he was up against an absolute juggernaut in Pep's Man City. Any other era and he would have won 3 or 4 titles in a row. 

I'm not going to compare him to Fergie who (it pains me to say) is the best ever but I think Klopp is criminally underrated as a result of losing out on 2 PL titles to an incredible Man City team and 2 CL finals to Madrid. If things had gone slightly differently he could be leaving with 3 PL titles and 3 CL titles.

4 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Klopp finished on 90+ points twice and didn't win the league both times, he was up against an absolute juggernaut in Pep's Man City. Any other era and he would have won 3 or 4 titles in a row. 

I'm not going to compare him to Fergie who (it pains me to say) is the best ever but I think Klopp is criminally underrated as a result of losing out on 2 PL titles to an incredible Man City team and 2 CL finals to Madrid. If things had gone slightly differently he could be leaving with 3 PL titles and 3 CL titles.

No one gives this slack to Wenger and coming up against fergies utd. 

Klopp return for a team compared to the all time great teams, is average to say the least. 

On 4/15/2024 at 8:02 PM, lost said:

Everton appealing their 2 point deduction. Also Chelsea may of got around their potential deduction by selling the two hotels attached to Stamford bridge to another company Boehly owns

I thought it was just the one hotel.

Saying that it reminds me of a cavalcade of clubs like Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Reading, Stoke and Aston Villa who tried to circumvent FFP in the Championship by selling their stadiums to subsidiaries of their owners. Given the first 3 of those clubs have all had points deductions for financial trouble in the last few years and Stoke have yet to finish in the top half of the Championship since their 2018 relegation, it isn't exactly the great company to keep.

10 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I mean, 2020/21 is the covid title isn't it? Least for Liverpool it was practically won when March 2020 came along.

Yeah, that was the one with no fans apart from a trial game or 2 near the end. If Liverpool had beaten Watford (1 of only 3 league losses that season), it would have been over Before the season was suspended. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Yeah, that was the one with no fans apart from a trial game or 2 near the end. If Liverpool had beaten Watford (1 of only 3 league losses that season), it would have been over Before the season was suspended. 

There were a few games in December 2020 with sub-2k crowds when they were doing the brief and failed experiment with tiers. Plus yes a couple near the end of the season. Both seasons were compromised by covid but I think 2020/21 got it worse.

Edited by charlierc

On 4/16/2024 at 2:26 AM, DareToDibble said:

I like to think I'm a fairly level headed LFC fan. 

Klopp is, without doubt, the best manager we've had in decades and deserves a statue.

The point about it being a "covid title" holds no weight as we were 25 points ahead before football got stopped. 

Tbf to Jurgen, it is insane to twice top the 90 point mark but just be unable to stop Man City. Indeed one of those was thanks to John Stones clearing the ball off the line in a Man City v Liverpool game in 18/19 when it had failed to cross by about 2mm at best.

On 4/16/2024 at 6:50 AM, thetime said:

No one gives this slack to Wenger and coming up against fergies utd. 

Klopp return for a team compared to the all time great teams, is average to say the least. 

Fergie and Wenger teams didn't get above 90 points as far as I know. If the title race was each teams best ever points hauls then United and Arsenal would have been out of the title race against Liverpool and City 2-3 games before the end of the season. 

Fully appreciate it's a different era and football has evolved but from a purely points based perspective Klopps LFC would have won the league ahead of United and Arsenal every year they won the league.

I have no doubt the top 2 in PL history are Ferguson and Wenger, but the fact people so criminally underrate Klopp is difficult to understand.

4 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I have no doubt the top 2 in PL history are Ferguson and Wenger, but the fact people so criminally underrate Klopp is difficult to understand.

There's no getting away from the fact he has only won 1 title. Even throughout his managerial career he has only won 3 over a 23 year career and 1 champions league. I'm sure Klopp would of liked 5 titles at 74 points, rather than 1 at 90 points. 

That's a poor return, for people to claim he is an all time great manager. That should be for the likes of paisley, fergie, capello, mourinho etc etc. The greats win titles, year in year out. They find a way to conquer new challenges and rise to it. 

One manager that is underrated is Ancelotti, now that guy is an all time great. 

Edited by thetime

3 hours ago, thetime said:

There's no getting away from the fact he has only won 1 title. Even throughout his managerial career he has only won 3 over a 23 year career and 1 champions league. I'm sure Klopp would of liked 5 titles at 74 points, rather than 1 at 90 points. 

That's a poor return, for people to claim he is an all time great manager. That should be for the likes of paisley, fergie, capello, mourinho etc etc. The greats win titles, year in year out. They find a way to conquer new challenges and rise to it. 

One manager that is underrated is Ancelotti, now that guy is an all time great. 

Although for balance he has never had the top wage budget. I don’t even know if he was ever top 3 in England.

8 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

difficult to understand.

also difficult to understand is your omission of shankley and paisley or even dalglish. for your original question easy to understand its cos he managed liverpool, and fans of other clubs can't be as magnanimous.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

also difficult to understand is your omission of shankley and paisley or even dalglish. for your original question easy to understand its cos he managed liverpool, and fans of other clubs can't be as magnanimous.

He didn't omit Paisley. He did omit Busby though, which is unforgivable! 🙂

29 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

He didn't omit Paisley. He did omit Busby though, which is unforgivable! 🙂

True didn't see that.busby is more about "here's what you might have won".

5 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

FA cup replays scrapped. The big clubs get their own way to the detriment of the smaller again 

It’s a f**king disgrace. Any team that can have a squad with players with squad numbers of 80+ can quite comfortably cope with the odd Cup replay.

All so Liverpool can have a lucrative away tie at FC Valletta or some other equivalently huge team in the pointless early stages of a European trophy they aren’t going to win.

Edited by chris_nre
Context

13 hours ago, thetime said:

That extra champions league place doesn't look promising.

I'd written it off and accepted England has missed the boat for this season. Although Liverpool and West Ham are both winning as I write this so maybe I was hasty, depending on how the rest of the games go.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I'd written it off and accepted England has missed the boat for this season. Although Liverpool and West Ham are both winning as I write this so maybe I was hasty, depending on how the rest of the games go.

Nvm both are out. Leaving Aston Villa as England's sole outstanding representative in the Europa League this season, with Emi Martinez doing a classic shithousing his way to the glory.