Football 2023/24

charlierc

Andy Burnham hasnt shut up about it. If he ever makes PM I think that independant regulator is nailed on 😆

Picking the points total at the end of the season so they don't know what their target is to stay up is a bit sh*tty though.

8 hours ago, Neil said:

cos Everton deserve to be wacked again while city and Chelsea walk free.

The rules are being changed before citys hearing in 2025 apparently.

9 hours ago, The Nal said:

Roma sacked Jose. Seems a bit harsh. 

I'm puzzled that some want him at Newcastle. We all saw his joyless spell as Spurs manager, while at Roma, he failed to get them into the Champions League and has been fired with the team 9th.

His achievements are always going to be gold, but I don't see how he gets back to the level of being the serial winner he was until everything broke in his second spell at Chelsea.

21 hours ago, Neil said:

cos Everton deserve to be wacked again while city and Chelsea walk free.

That Man City case is apparently going to be going to trial later this year. Though it's another one of those things that could've been resolved a lot sooner.

Chelsea appears to be ongoing, though if they get done for anything, it's not for the ludicrous money that their new ownership is blowing on a botched rebuild, but reported discoveries about suspect finances during the Roman era that the club itself disclosed to authorities.

29 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I'm puzzled that some want him at Newcastle. We all saw his joyless spell as Spurs manager, while at Roma, he failed to get them into the Champions League and has been fired with the team 9th.

His achievements are always going to be gold, but I don't see how he gets back to the level of being the serial winner he was until everything broke in his second spell at Chelsea.

I can see him at Newcastle, gives Newcastle a higher profile if nothing else. 

22 minutes ago, thetime said:

I get there's an emotional resonance, given a lot of people still like Mourinho for his trophy cabinet and soundbites, and indeed his big start as a football coach was working for Bobby Robson in Barcelona, and he has spoken in the past of a reverence for Newcastle and SJP.

However, I look at the way things blew up at Old Trafford, and the truly miserable spell he had with Spurs, and getting fired by Roma after picking up 11 red cards in a year and a half and just don't feel like going for him is a good idea anymore.

59 minutes ago, thetime said:

he's toxic, you don't want him, at least he's not as bad as some of newc's previous or current owners

Mourinho being sacked by Spurs the week before the league cup final was a great thing - we were always going to lose, i couldnt care less about his record in finals with other clubs, because he'd completely lost the dressing room and we were in terminally dreadful form. He wasnt going to inspire a backs to the wall performance, we'd have lost by 3 or 4 or more. 

But it will always rankle with him and he still moans about it now 😁 he should never have been at Spurs, wrong club/situation/everything. I hope Newcastle dont hire him because he'll do what he's done before, which is poison the place with hideously unwatchable football, kick out and blame everyone but himself, and then take the severance and swan off tens of millions richer.

Maybe international football might suit him better, he'd have less time to kill the players enthusiasm! 

https://www.football365.com/news/henderson-not-earned-penny-in-saudi-arabia-ajax-transfer-cost-him-millions

Jordan Henderson moving to Saudi and completely ruining his reputation both as a footballer and as an “ally” to the LGBTQ+ community, only to leave six months later without receiving a single penny in payment is one of the funniest things I have ever heard

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

https://www.football365.com/news/henderson-not-earned-penny-in-saudi-arabia-ajax-transfer-cost-him-millions

Jordan Henderson moving to Saudi and completely ruining his reputation both as a footballer and as an “ally” to the LGBTQ+ community, only to leave six months later without receiving a single penny in payment is one of the funniest things I have ever heard

Yup! I'm giggling at this! Particularly as he's not getting paid because of deferral to dodge UK tax!

9 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

ruining his reputation both as a footballer and as an “ally” to the LGBTQ+ community

did he have a reputation with either to lose?

and i guess Ronaldo has also lost his reputation as a footballer?

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

I mean, I'd presumed his LGBTQ+ support stuff to be performative, as it usually is, but the stuff claiming to "be a positive but respectful influence on the culture there" or whatever PR nonsense his phrasing was showed how he liked to claim that even while spitting on it.

I'd also say that yes, Ronaldo can't really make much claim to still be a great footballer while playing in that league. In the same way as a lot of other big names went to MLS for a few years before proper retirement. But also, Ronaldo is a shitbag rapist and had been a destabilising influence on 3 different football teams before going out there anyway.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Neil said:

Well yes he has. Or do you think he genuinely went there because the quality of the football is higher than elsewhere, as he claims?

On 1/17/2024 at 6:59 AM, Ryan1984 said:

I reckon Jose either has his eye on an international role or will go for the easy, well-paid option (and there’s nothing wrong with that!) of being an ‘outspoken’ pundit.

Tbf that's what he did to entertain himself in his year-or-so career break between leaving Manchester United and taking the Spurs job.

There was a rumour indicating he's sniffing around his old job with Porto, though others suggest MLS or Saudi. I imagine he'll take some time off at first, then we'll see. International management also could be a shout, though I guess that if its with a European nation, it would have to wait until after the Euros this summer.

On 1/17/2024 at 12:39 PM, balti-pie said:

Mourinho being sacked by Spurs the week before the league cup final was a great thing - we were always going to lose, i couldnt care less about his record in finals with other clubs, because he'd completely lost the dressing room and we were in terminally dreadful form. He wasnt going to inspire a backs to the wall performance, we'd have lost by 3 or 4 or more. 

But it will always rankle with him and he still moans about it now 😁 he should never have been at Spurs, wrong club/situation/everything. I hope Newcastle dont hire him because he'll do what he's done before, which is poison the place with hideously unwatchable football, kick out and blame everyone but himself, and then take the severance and swan off tens of millions richer.

Maybe international football might suit him better, he'd have less time to kill the players enthusiasm! 

Yeah I've seen him complain about being fired in the week of the League Cup final, which in some odd timing came in the same week the European Super League debacle played out and some speculated Levy was trying to placate some fans angry about Spurs signing up to that by firing Jose.

It's odd tbf in that once I liked the idea of Mourinho coming to SJP to try and win something for Bobby Robson, who gave Mourinho his break in football coaching and in the past he has had a reverence for us. But that Spurs spell and failing to get a Champions League spot in Rome despite getting a 100 million Euro budget in season one just left me cold on the concept. Certainly, I'm aware we moaned about defensive football by Steve Bruce and I could see that complaint being seen.

But it is what it is. I think it's too soon to guess where he might wind up.

20 hours ago, zahidf said:

Guess the agent who advised Henderson moving to Saudi was a good idea is getting fired.

Why Gerrard is signing a contract extension is perhaps as mystifying, not least for the Saudi club given Gerrard is on a lengthy winless run.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

It's odd tbf in that once I liked the idea of Mourinho coming to SJP to try and win something for Bobby Robson, who gave Mourinho his break in football coaching and in the past he has had a reverence for us.

I haven't been interested in that in a long time. Not since the eye-gouging or sexist bullying of a physio.

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

The transcript of his press conference against they lost to Harrogate in what turned out to be his last game in charge was quite extraordinary. He was just so willing to throw all and sundry under a bus that he'd barely had time to pilot.

4 minutes ago, charlierc said:

The transcript of his press conference against they lost to Harrogate in what turned out to be his last game in charge was quite extraordinary. He was just so willing to throw all and sundry under a bus that he'd barely had time to pilot.

maybe he threw them under the bus cos he knew he was out of there soon - maybe he planned to walk anyway.

don't reckon he would enjoy the travelling (if still watford way).my missus drives from bristol to near there every day and absolutely hates it.