Football 2023/24

charlierc

On 9/12/2023 at 8:30 PM, lost said:

Saw this thread on twitter a few days ago. Seems to suggest Moshiri did get his bank accounts frozen after the Ukraine invasion along with Usmanov being frozen out and its this or administration:

I wonder why Chelsea was a forced sale whilst Everton were just left to die. One part of the country more high profile than another?

Interesting thread. I'm aware there's a lot of debate about it, given Everton's public excuse was FFP, given they seemed to claim higher losses than everyone else in the Premier League caused by covid and having to play the 2020/21 season without fans.

What it means going forward is obviously another matter. First this 777 Partners thing needs to clear PL approval, given there seem to be a myriad of ways as to how this new consortium might be tripped up in getting the deal over the line. Plus suggestions from fans of other clubs they own that they're not really good at this ownership lark.

14 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Sounds like the Old Trafford crowd are starting to turn on Ten Hag… Wonder how much of that is down to his seemingly sympathetic approach to alleged abusers?

There seems to be a general malaise developing already. Could be the takeover that has dragged on, could be their dreadful handling of off-pitch problems, could be routine poor performance in the transfer market, could just be that winning would've hid all sins and an increasingly bad start means there's nowhere to hide.

Plus more demonstration that Brighton are pretty good at this football lark. I actually wasn't that impressed by them beating Newcastle, which I felt was more about the Toon being bad, but can't argue with their results so far.

21 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Sounds like the Old Trafford crowd are starting to turn on Ten Hag… Wonder how much of that is down to his seemingly sympathetic approach to alleged abusers?

Man Utd have been dreadful for years, yet somehow managed to muddle through (refs help a lot), now maybe (hopefully) teams have realised that their average and there's no fear factor.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Sounds about right for their current situation to score three away at Bayern and still lose.

who might score those three goals? rahford has given up scoring like hes given up trying to run the country.

4 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

My home town club - Cheltenham - still haven't scored a goal this season! Wonder if we'll score before Xmas? 😟

i've been to watch Cheltenham a few times when they played my hometown club.

6 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

My memorable moment of the day was watching Arsenal play today and watching the number 10 come on and thinking this is one of the most important numbers in football and I don’t have a clue who the player is. I had completely forgotten Smith Rowe existed!

In fairness I think he's one of those players that you love if he plays for your club but you hugely underrate if he doesn't. Perfect example was Jordan Henderson (let's not discuss his post-Liverpool career). So many of this types of player, bet everyone could name a player that fits this category.

One of my closest friends is a Celtic fan and told me that Spurs under Postecoglu would be great fun to watch and so far he's been bang on. 

Seems like City will end up winning by 10+ this year. Top 4 seems a bit more open, would love Brighton to get it - as long as it isn't in place of Liverpool. - Think it'll be City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs. 

On a different note, how are Chelsea this bad? Genuinely do have a squad of some incredible players and I really rate Poch so not sure how it's going so wrong?

7 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

In fairness I think he's one of those players that you love if he plays for your club but you hugely underrate if he doesn't. Perfect example was Jordan Henderson (let's not discuss his post-Liverpool career). So many of this types of player, bet everyone could name a player that fits this category.

One of my closest friends is a Celtic fan and told me that Spurs under Postecoglu would be great fun to watch and so far he's been bang on. 

Seems like City will end up winning by 10+ this year. Top 4 seems a bit more open, would love Brighton to get it - as long as it isn't in place of Liverpool. - Think it'll be City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs. 

On a different note, how are Chelsea this bad? Genuinely do have a squad of some incredible players and I really rate Poch so not sure how it's going so wrong?

i rhiought  arsenal are winning the prem this year after going so close last year, but  not beating spurs yesterday has me doubting that