Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

12 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Guess it'll depend if Grimes will DJ or play live, since she hates doing the latter.

I read that at Coachella she’s playing live, also the festival that replaced Twigs with Grimes didn’t mention anything about DJ Set. Would prefer her just to perform live, specially her older material, I saw her back in 2016 and it was amazing. 

• Upvote 1

One question - if FKA Twigs would have been replaced at that mexican festival by, let's say, a big local band (choose one), would we be discussion if that local mexican band would be the replacement in Barcelona?

I mean, it was Grimes on that particular case, in February, in a Mexican festival...

43 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

It’s crazy if twigs is out. This would be the second year in a row. They billed her as a exclusive show. They would loose a lot of credibility 

Why? You can’t be held responsible for an act that pulls out and 99% still turn up.

• Upvote 1

Exactly. 
Not PS’s fault if she cancels. 

(If she actually cancels) 

they just need to be proactive and replace her. 
and not leave it the way they didn’t replace massive attack since the festival was sold out! 😂 

Edited by ibo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ibo said:

Exactly. 
Not PS’s fault if she cancels. 

(If she actually cancels) 

they just need to be proactive and replace her. 
and not leave it the way they didn’t replace massive attack since the festival was sold out! 😂 

You don’t go promoting yourself over a exclusive act that 2 months later drops out. That means you don’t have leverage on the artist. If she would be doing coachella she would probably think twice before cancelling. 
I want to think they had some sort of special agreement with her after the drop out of the last year. Maybe she will present in advance her new show at primavera before everywhere else and this other fest in Mexico was just too early. But considered we have at least a big drop out per year I wouldn’t be surprised to be proven wrong and she maybe doesn’t care enough 

Edited by Whos3000_
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Whos3000_ said:

You don’t go promoting yourself over a exclusive act that 2 months later drops out. That means you don’t have leverage on the artist. If she would be doing coachella she would probably think twice before cancelling. 
I want to think they had some sort of special agreement with her after the drop out of the last year. Maybe she will present in advance her new show at primavera before everywhere else and this other fest in Mexico was just too early. But considered we have at least a big drop out per year I wouldn’t be surprised to be proven wrong and she maybe doesn’t care enough 

Plenty of acts have cancelled Coachella.

If an act is sick, mentally unwell, pregnant, injured, not rehearsed, unable to put together the right staging (I could go on...), no amount of 'special arrangement' is going to make them play.

54 minutes ago, xxialac said:

EU Exclusive is another way of saying "will tour other regions of the world".

And we know she was booked for Mexico.

Yes I agree but at least it means you don’t have/don’t need a run of consecutive shows planned for that time of the year to be playing as part of a tour 

45 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

Yes I agree but at least it means you don’t have/don’t need a run of consecutive shows planned for that time of the year to be playing as part of a tour 

I think at this point it's purely speculation and we don´t know what happens behind the curtains but from what I know, she's been dropping from festivals because of her lawsuit against Shia. The thing is that the final lawsuit is scheduled to be in October this year, and that was announced back in October 2023, 1 month before Primavera. So in that sense, I think there isn't anything that could indicate that she's cancelling.

On another hand, if she only has 2 concerts, and one of them is super far from UK (assuming she still lives there) it would make sense for her to cancel and come to Primavera that is much closer. Maybe she expected to do a more extensive tour in South/North America and just having one show now doesn't make sense for her. 

At this point it's purely speculation and I think we shouldn't look at what happened at Mexico festival as it doesn't mean anything for now. Specially because both of the festivals are 2 months apart. Until she's officially cancelled Primavera she's still playing the festival, at least in my books. 

21 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

Don’t really see the need for worries or speculation at this point, she only had 2 dates anyway, and it’s much easier to go to Barcelona from UK then to Mexico, plus her Mexico date was 2 months prior to Barcelona, so it could be anything that she had to do in March.

Until she’s out, it’s just speculation. I kind of believe she will be there, cause Primavera dedicated a bit of time to promote her as exclusive act. Worst case scenario we might get someone like Grimes, that tbh I wouldn’t mind to see. 

Yeah its a bit early to call that. But the fact that her album was binned gives no real proper reason for a one-off show. However, there might just be dates lined up in the near future that PS kicks off. Often gigs at Coachella or Primavera is spearheading a larger campaign for new music and/or a tour

Edited by Quadrophobia

20 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Personally don't think there's any FKA Twigs tour/album in this year, no reason to believe that really, just a gut feeling.

Both her album/new songs leak and the trial final happened before she was announced at Primavera, so unless there's something else, I don't see a problem of her coming to Primavera, specially if she lives close by. Don't think there will be a tour tho, if she has a trial in October don't she will tour 5/6 before that, can see her touring again in 2025 specially if she wins the trial. For now no need of speculation until else is proven, in my books she's playing Primavera, and if she really cancels it won't be something unexpected and I hope that Primavera finds a good replacement, as they know about these things more than us. 

14 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Both her album/new songs leak and the trial final happened before she was announced at Primavera, so unless there's something else, I don't see a problem of her coming to Primavera, specially if she lives close by. Don't think there will be a tour tho, if she has a trial in October don't she will tour 5/6 before that, can see her touring again in 2025 specially if she wins the trial. For now no need of speculation until else is proven, in my books she's playing Primavera, and if she really cancels it won't be something unexpected and I hope that Primavera finds a good replacement, as they know about these things more than us. 

Your optimism on a replacement is interesting.

This is a festival that offered no replacement for Massive Attack haha

They have plenty of opportunities for great female artists who haven't yet announced dates in Spain but have announced dates in other parts of Europe and who could be excellent replacements: Doja Cat, Kali Uchis, Nelly Furtado, etc.

(also looking for cheaper tickets if anyone sells any!)

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Massive Attack were a bigger, more expensive name.

And Twigs is hardly going to go to the trouble of rehearsing, having a crew etc for one show.

She’s not a DJ that just spins a few discs.

I mean, up until some days ago she only had 2 dates booked so if she did them she would need to rehearse and get a team. So in that sense I see why she could cancel the Mexican show, doesn't mean she cancelling the Primavera date. She's been posting rehearsals and some sort of vocals and dances on Instagram these past weeks, so maybe she is rehearsing but the Mexico date is too early for that. Idk.

In terms of replacement, I guess by now Primavera knows that she can drop (probably they knew since the beginning) so I guess it is easier for them to replace her knowing 3 months in advance. There are plenty of acts touring Europe in June that could come to Primavera, it could even be Grimes.