Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

17 hours ago, xxialac said:

Will be interesting to see how Coachella compares (and at twice the price)…

Coachella always has absolute bores and frankly horrible acts in the top brackets like Illenium, Louis the Child, The Lumineers, Kid Laroi etc. They are of course bringing a "bigger" line up, but it almost always lacks coherence and often depth

6 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Coachella always has absolute bores and frankly horrible acts in the top brackets like Illenium, Louis the Child, The Lumineers, Kid Laroi etc. They are of course bringing a "bigger" line up, but it almost always lacks coherence and often depth

It does, but then again it also scoops up a really interesting act like Jai Paul or a reunion of a different band. boygenius and Jai were great additions last year.

3 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

It does, but then again it also scoops up a really interesting act like Jai Paul or a reunion of a different band. boygenius and Jai were great additions last year.

I mean, I'm not saying its line ups are bad, they are just extremely random. Its nice that there is a bit of everything and they include new directions every now and then, but they also have so many acts that are utter trash.

Edited by Quadrophobia

2 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

I mean, I'm not saying its line ups are bad, they are just extremely random. Its nice that there is a bit of everything and they include new directions every now and then, but they also have so many acts that are utter trash.

Coachella seems to be the kind of festival you could get almost everyone in your friend group to go to. They really do have something for everyone most years. Primavera is a bit more focused.

As much as I like him, I don't see Tyler the creator as one of the three Coachella headliners unless he doesn't release something very big that manages to infiltrate the mainstream the same way as, let's say, the weekend. Furthermore, at his festival he did not play any new music

Edited by Whos3000_

2 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

As much as I like him, I don't see Tyler the creator as one of the three Coachella headliners unless he doesn't release something very big that manages to infiltrate the mainstream the same way as, let's say, the weekend. Furthermore, at his festival he did not play any new music

I'd agree, it's a bit weak unless it's a springboard for a new era.

45 minutes ago, Marty76 said:

Been listening to the SPRINTS debut album and now I'm a bit sad they're not on the line up (yet). Would be a great replacement if one of the smaller acts cancel.

I'd say bring back Hidden Stage which was missed this year and put them there. But not sure if there are any locations for it any more in the new reduced space setup.

• Like 1

Tyler set will be closer to Kendrick's headlining set (debuting a new album cycle) rather than Tame Impala's although doubt that he will release the album that very Friday as Kendrick. He has been releasing an album every two years since 2011 so seems pretty obvious that he skipped his next one to 2024 to secure a headlining spot at Coachella and decided to release a deluxe version of CMIYGL plus a victory lap with no new songs on his own fest (which is organized by Goldenvoice too). Counting on him as the biggest name on the 2025 line-up.

4 hours ago, Nesser said:

Tyler set will be closer to Kendrick's headlining set (debuting a new album cycle) rather than Tame Impala's although doubt that he will release the album that very Friday as Kendrick. He has been releasing an album every two years since 2011 so seems pretty obvious that he skipped his next one to 2024 to secure a headlining spot at Coachella and decided to release a deluxe version of CMIYGL plus a victory lap with no new songs on his own fest (which is organized by Goldenvoice too). Counting on him as the biggest name on the 2025 line-up.

Assuming the album will manage to top his 2 most recent ones in terms of critical acclaim and popularity. I would not take that for granted. I like Tyler but I don’t see him necessarily reaching GOAT status such as Kendrick. He has been in the game for years and, despite a slow but steady growth, I doubt he can drastically reinvent himself. 
A new album cycle would be more than enough for coachella though. You convinced me on that 

Edited by Whos3000_

The thing about American fests is, that they started to try to encorporate everything that anyone likes into their line ups, so you'll end up with a completely random mix of radio pop, gamer-EDM, Country, Indie-Rock, Rap, Latin, Folk and whatever is on Tik Tok. Hard to bring that together coherently.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

Assuming the album will manage to top his 2 most recent ones in terms of critical acclaim and popularity. I would not take that for granted. I like Tyler but I don’t see him necessarily reaching GOAT status such as Kendrick. He has been in the game for years and, despite a slow but steady growth, I doubt he can drastically reinvent himself. 
A new album cycle would be more than enough for coachella though. You convinced me on that 

He was the first artist on the 2020 lineup video and it's hard to think he won't be bigger in 2025 so unless they get Bad Bunny or Radiohead he's #1 again. Funny enough, the second artist on that video was Lana del Rey and she's the only one I can think of that would be ahead today.

On 1/3/2024 at 12:45 AM, birchtree29 said:

Highly Predicted Coachella headliners are:

-Lana Del Rey (Primavera 2024 headliner)

-Dua Lipa (Primavera 2022 headliner)

-Tyler the Creator (Primavera 2022 headliner)

lineup is expected to be announced this week

Update on Coachella:

Dua Lipa rejected Coachella since her album will not be ready by April. Lana Del Rey and Tyler the Creator are still confirmed. Coachella lineup got delayed by 2 weeks since they couldn’t find a third headliner. There are also rumours that they rejected Shakira. Doja Cat was rumored as third headliner but sources on reddit are saying that it’s not Doja Cat. Lineup is rumored to be finalized right now but they will wait until Tuesday to announce it due to MLK day holiday on Monday. It’s also causing other festivals to delay their announcements since artists have exclusive deals with Coachella for them to announce first. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, birchtree29 said:

Update on Coachella:

Dua Lipa rejected Coachella since her album will not be ready by April. Lana Del Rey and Tyler the Creator are still confirmed. Coachella lineup got delayed by 2 weeks since they couldn’t find a third headliner. There are also rumours that they rejected Shakira. Doja Cat was rumored as third headliner but sources on reddit are saying that it’s not Doja Cat. Lineup is rumored to be finalized right now but they will wait until Tuesday to announce it due to MLK day holiday on Monday. It’s also causing other festivals to delay their announcements since artists have exclusive deals with Coachella for them to announce first. 

No idea why Coachella don't book SZA. She's probably bigger than Doja Cat.