Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

11 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Massive Attack? Cannot see anyone else at this point, maybe we’ll never find out.

But that also opens room for some additions in the future, I guess they have the budget for that. 

If it’s them just don’t book them any more. Any addition would be guided by sales so don’t take that for granted. Massive attack were not replaced in 2022 because the event was sold out. 

however, this won’t sell out so it’s possible 

Edited by Whos3000_

I was hoping for Slowdive, The Walkmen, Explosions in the Sky, Bdrmm. And every year I dream more unrealistic dreams of Mbv or something like Russian Circles or Cult of Luna (ok last year we got Amenra..)

But I have seen all those before apart from Bdrmm. The great thing is to get a lineup filled with unexpected names I have never seen live before and plenty of future favorites I didnt even know of. I think this lineup achieved this at least for my taste. It feels really fresh eventhough there is another part of the lineup that consists of names that might have been repeated a bit too much over the years.

If anything Primavera books too many big names for me. The sweet spot would be to combine Primavera with a smaller niche festival. I might do Dunk festival in Belgium to get some more post rock/post metal and combine with PS to get that nice variety in genres and unique bookings like Lankum, Duster etc. Granted it is a bit privileged to be able to do two festivals in the same year. 

• Upvote 1

Probably not a general experience, but Primavera is my main source of concerts. Me and my partner saw a lot of great sets since we started attending Primavera (2017) and regarding some of them we knew immediately that we just have to see them again. However, we live in Bratislava (not exactly the cultural centre of the world) and even though I check all the concerts in the area (Vienna, Prague, Budapest), usually there is no chance to see the artists we fell in love with nearby. So, repeated names are a blessing. When I saw L'Imperatrice or Hannah Diamond (or even The National) on the poster, I was just happy, couldn't care less that they are 2022 repeats. Of course, I want fresh names on the line-up too, but they ARE there. I have more than 30 new artists I want to check and I'm sure many of them would make me very happy if repeated in 2026. 

To summarise this thread since the lineup came out, there have been four main type of post:

- This lineup in underwhelming, and I preferred 2018

- This lineup is quite good, and I enjoyed 2019

- It's a shame Massive Attack/The Smile are missing

- Wow, that Sofia Kourtesis album is brilliant

For those in the last camp, having seen her live, I can confirm Sofia is an all around delight and we all have a lovely time with her at the Forum next year.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, hollyzone said:

To summarise this thread since the lineup came out, there have been four main type of post:

- This lineup in underwhelming, and I preferred 2018

- This lineup is quite good, and I enjoyed 2019

- It's a shame Massive Attack/The Smile are missing

- Wow, that Sofia Kourtesis album is brilliant

For those in the last camp, having seen her live, I can confirm Sofia is an all around delight and we all have a lovely time with her at the Forum next year.

I don't mean to sound unkind but I thought Kourtesis delivered an underwhelming set last year (despite liking the music). Maybe it was that the crowd was flat or maybe she has since bolstered her live setup.

5 hours ago, pipan said:

Probably not a general experience, but Primavera is my main source of concerts. Me and my partner saw a lot of great sets since we started attending Primavera (2017) and regarding some of them we knew immediately that we just have to see them again. However, we live in Bratislava (not exactly the cultural centre of the world) and even though I check all the concerts in the area (Vienna, Prague, Budapest), usually there is no chance to see the artists we fell in love with nearby. So, repeated names are a blessing. When I saw L'Imperatrice or Hannah Diamond (or even The National) on the poster, I was just happy, couldn't care less that they are 2022 repeats. Of course, I want fresh names on the line-up too, but they ARE there. I have more than 30 new artists I want to check and I'm sure many of them would make me very happy if repeated in 2026. 

To have some repeat names is natural, it's not possible to just book new names. And it is also essential to the soul of a festival, to have a core group of artists that come back a bit more often. The quintessential bands of the festival if you will. 

Are there any reason why a band like massive attack would drop out from this festival one day before the release of the line up while keeping the rest of the tour,  months before the event (so it s planned rather than a contingency)? this is pointless speculation since either it’s this or some other festival got them but I am curious to know what the full line up would have looked like and i don’t think massive attack would have been on this tbh 

Edited by Whos3000_

4 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

Are there any reason why a band like massive attack would drop out from this festival one day before the release of the line up while keeping the rest of the tour,  months before the event (so it s planned rather than a contingency)? this is pointless speculation since either it’s this or some other festival got them but I am curious to know what the full line up would have looked like and i don’t think massive attack would have been on this tbh 

I don't think it was Massive Attack. Much more likely to be a name that decided not to tour at all.  The promo video which would have been made weeks before also implies through how it's filmed that it wasn't them.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

I don't think it was Massive Attack. Much more likely to be a name that decided not to tour at all.  The promo video which would have been made weeks before also implies through how it's filmed that it wasn't them.

What do you mean? Because of no space between the acts starting with “m”? 

2 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

What do you mean? Because of no space between the acts starting with “m”? 

Yeah, because there's a single shot (presumably pre-recorded) of an act with a name alphabetically before Massive and then the camera moves in one frame to another act with a name just after Massive.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yeah, because there's a single shot (presumably pre-recorded) of an act with a name alphabetically before Massive and then the camera moves in one frame to another act with a name just after Massive.

There’s an interesting jump before Charli XCX, I think Carly Rae Jepsen was booked as well, given Gabi’s comments on the official forum. She’s no Massive Attack though. 

• Upvote 1

Has there been a confirmation about the layout of the stages staying the same? I didn’t like the primavera/binance stage last year and its alternance with the other stage whose I forgot the name. If there are less names, maybe they went back to the old “uphill” lovely layout? 

seeing duster chilling on that hill at sunset would give me the old school vibes they said they were trying to recreate 

5 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

Has there been a confirmation about the layout of the stages staying the same? I didn’t like the primavera/binance stage last year and its alternance with the other stage whose I forgot the name. If there are less names, maybe they went back to the old “uphill” lovely layout? 

seeing duster chilling on that hill at sunset would give me the old school vibes they said they were trying to recreate 

I’m with you and wish they went back to what worked so well before.

Never understood why they felt the need to keep tinkering. The two stage setup lost a lot of the previous charm and the year before they angled the stage in a bad way too.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Wow, amazing. A few of us on here were hopeful they would eventually play.

This has added later a la The Smile last year written all over it…

They couldn't call Massive Attack, Smile , Jane's Addiction etc etc and they should be able to call the Sault? I wish I was optimistic like you

11 hours ago, xxialac said:

I don't mean to sound unkind but I thought Kourtesis delivered an underwhelming set last year (despite liking the music). Maybe it was that the crowd was flat or maybe she has since bolstered her live setup.

Might have been an off day for her, she was very good at Bluedot last year. Lots of energy from her and the crowd were up for it (she was a good match with Kelly Lee Owen who was next).

13 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Don't think Sault will be at this. I imagine it could be a one off in London. Keep expectations in check.

I suspect you're right, especially as Cleo sol hardly tours her solo stuff. Cool they're planning a first live show though! I'd love to go but doubt I can make a London date in 2023 

Maybe it’s me but I feel like the festival is not going to sell very well this year (yes I know it’s not sold out most of the times) and I feel like they are going to add some names, not small or boiler room names, but a couple of mid size ones. I just hope, but on the other hand this year the lineup was so packed that I couldn’t see everything. 

5 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Maybe it’s me but I feel like the festival is not going to sell very well this year (yes I know it’s not sold out most of the times) and I feel like they are going to add some names, not small or boiler room names, but a couple of mid size ones. I just hope, but on the other hand this year the lineup was so packed that I couldn’t see everything. 

It’s likely especially given they already had a drop out but replacements are usually not upgrades. Liturgy were added last minute and they ended up being a key act last year though