Car park access crossing the roads

Boris

We're in the Tipi village.. so general parking. I've not driven to the normal car parks for several years. Probably I'd head for Gate D - ideally Orange route (to be closer than the Pink route) since we'll be coming from Podimore via A37 and A361 across Pilton.. (although Gate C might work... we're heading South West to Dawlish after the festival though).

Anyway I can't remember if they let you cross the road to access the car parks (if you need to). Should I do whatever I can to be on the correct side of the road? I don't really want to have to drive miles around the sire because I messed up.

16 hours ago, Boris said:

We're in the Tipi village.. so general parking. I've not driven to the normal car parks for several years. Probably I'd head for Gate D - ideally Orange route (to be closer than the Pink route) since we'll be coming from Podimore via A37 and A361 across Pilton.. (although Gate C might work... we're heading South West to Dawlish after the festival though).

Anyway I can't remember if they let you cross the road to access the car parks (if you need to). Should I do whatever I can to be on the correct side of the road? I don't really want to have to drive miles around the sire because I messed up.

Hi...as @Lycrahas mentioned there will be no Westbound access through Pilton village permitted from 0100 on Tuesday 20th June until Monday 26th.  As such, and if you are planning to approach on A361 from Glastonbury direction I would advise leaving the A37 2km north of Podimore, then heading West through Charlton Mackrell and Butleigh villages to reach Glastonbury town where you can then join the A361 heading East to the site.

4 hours ago, Lycra said:

In all previous years there has been no through route east to west or vice versa via Pilton.

I guess that's been for some years. A long while back I've literally turned around at what was the post office and changed direction- it was definitely two way then.

4 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Hi...as @Lycrahas mentioned there will be no Westbound access through Pilton village permitted from 0100 on Tuesday 20th June until Monday 26th.  As such, and if you are planning to approach on A361 from Glastonbury direction I would advise leaving the A37 2km north of Podimore, then heading West through Charlton Mackrell and Butleigh villages to reach Glastonbury town where you can then join the A361 heading East to the site.

Thanks Parson.. so I can't deliberately get into Orange car parks I suppose (which would be crossing the road from that direction).. and may well get turned into Pink. Hmmm the nether regions of that could make the East side better. Hmm I wonder if I can work something with a friend and park in Worthy View- that would be nice.

2 hours ago, Boris said:

Thanks Parson.. so I can't deliberately get into Orange car parks I suppose (which would be crossing the road from that direction).. and may well get turned into Pink. Hmmm the nether regions of that could make the East side better. Hmm I wonder if I can work something with a friend and park in Worthy View- that would be nice.

Yes your risk with approaching from West is certainly that you could get directed left into Pink before the Orange turn on the right.

I'm not sure of the policy for filling Pink/Orange from the West...some thoughts that it *could* be Orange first but  unless anyone else can confirm it remains a risk. 

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Yes your risk with approaching from West is certainly that you could get directed left into Pink before the Orange turn on the right.

I'm not sure of the policy for filling Pink/Orange from the West...some thoughts that it *could* be Orange first but  unless anyone else can confirm it remains a risk. 

Fair play, cheers

23 hours ago, Boris said:

Friends of mine arrived about midnight Tuesday last year and got in Orange 39 if that helps.

Can't believe Orange is already full by then!.. it does seem probable that Orange is filled first.. so unless I can pull off a Worthy View manoeuvre I'm expecting Pink.. which means moany daughter elongated... 😓 

On 5/17/2023 at 6:34 PM, parsonjack said:

What might help you if you already have your parking sticker is not sticking it in the window until you’ve passed the pink car park  turning. 

thats what a couple people I know do on the A37 to get them to the carpark  they want to go, that’s obvs not going to get you through Pilton though 

Edited by Yeo-vile idiot

I think they fill both orange and pink at the same time and its just the luck of the draw, over the last 5 times weve been in pink twice and orange three times. Weve arrived at about the same time between 23:00 to 00:00 on the Tuesday night.

Edited by THEBOILERMAN
added info

20 hours ago, Yeo-vile idiot said:

What might help you if you already have your parking sticker is not sticking it in the window until you’ve passed the pink car park  turning. 

thats what a couple people I know do on the A37 to get them to the carpark  they want to go, that’s obvs not going to get you through Pilton though 

I was considering that.. but also my fear would be being directed past Orange as well and having to go all the way round to East.

6 hours ago, Boris said:

I was considering that.. but also my fear would be being directed past Orange as well and having to go all the way round to East.

That shouldn't happen as the right turn from the A361 onto the A37 to head towards Purple and Blue is prohibited from 0800 on Monday 19th until after the festival.

If they did wave you past both Pink and Orange then the worst that could happen is you do a U-turn in the village by the Crown Inn then head back down, which will then find the left turn for Orange first before the right for Pink.

If it was me I'd chance it and if they wave you to Pink plead that one of you has a gammy knee or something and Orange would be easier.

20 hours ago, parsonjack said:

That shouldn't happen as the right turn from the A361 onto the A37 to head towards Purple and Blue is prohibited from 0800 on Monday 19th until after the festival.

If they did wave you past both Pink and Orange then the worst that could happen is you do a U-turn in the village by the Crown Inn then head back down, which will then find the left turn for Orange first before the right for Pink.

If it was me I'd chance it and if they wave you to Pink plead that one of you has a gammy knee or something and Orange would be easier.

Oh that *is* still possible then? I must have misunderstood earlier. So it would be possible to head back downhill from Pilton if I can pull a Uey at the Old Post Office/ Crown.. I know people don't like it but I've done it before.. I thought for a minute people were saying the hill was one way. Me stupid.

39 minutes ago, Boris said:

Oh that *is* still possible then? I must have misunderstood earlier. So it would be possible to head back downhill from Pilton if I can pull a Uey at the Old Post Office/ Crown.. I know people don't like it but I've done it before.. I thought for a minute people were saying the hill was one way. Me stupid.

we always appreciate people doing that, its all really for your convenience.  You do You.

hopefully people will be along soon with suggestions about not following the designated feckin routes and trying to cut across back roads to make their life easier.  That goes down a storm with people trying to get to work / school or having a life.

59 minutes ago, Boris said:

Sorry to confuse.....the village isn't one-way but as @pilton diggerpoints out planning a manoeuvre involving a U-turn in the village would be bad form and to be discouraged.  It's highly likely you wouldn't get past the Pink/Orange stewards to do so in any case.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pilton digger said:

we always appreciate people doing that, its all really for your convenience.  You do You.

hopefully people will be along soon with suggestions about not following the designated feckin routes and trying to cut across back roads to make their life easier.  That goes down a storm with people trying to get to work / school or having a life.

Alright.. sorry. 

29 minutes ago, chacuc said:

What's the best route to end up in orange/pink if coming from London? Either preferable to the east carparks with us aiming for bushy.

I plan on doing something similar and if you put the postcode BA6 9XE (as per the festival website) into Google maps, the route should bring you around the south of the festival site and then to Glastonbury itself where I assume there'll be signage directing you the correct route for pink/orange.

• Thanks 1