Best advice for a newbie

Bestival-weather

Set up your tent, get your chair out and crack a beer and talk to the people camped around you. Everyone is knackered on the first day so more likely to have a sit off for a drink at the tent so you should have people to talk to

1 - get to know your tent neighbors. it's good manners, and it makes us all a little more secure. 

2 - use the property lock ups and donate to them if you are able. 

3 - pace yourself - physically, mentally.  you're meant to have fun not exhaust yourself. 

4 - break out of your comfort zone in some way.  you won't regret it. 

you're gonna have a blast 

3 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

1 - get to know your tent neighbors. it's good manners, and it makes us all a little more secure. 

2 - use the property lock ups and donate to them if you are able. 

3 - pace yourself - physically, mentally.  you're meant to have fun not exhaust yourself. 

4 - break out of your comfort zone in some way.  you won't regret it. 

you're gonna have a blast 

Awww thank you, great advice 🙂 

4 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Take it as it comes and get lost by going down path and alleys its a great way to find surprising bits. 

I'm going solo until thr Friday if you fancy a meet and a cider on me at some point genuine offer 

I will be there from Wednesday afternoon....Yeah that would be great 🙂 

Take layers. It can get very cold, even after a hot day, if you're out seeing stuff late night/early morning.

Don't plan too strictly. The size of the site, capacity of certain areas, and changes to running times can make things very frustrating if you've got quite a tight schedule. Pick about four/five acts/things you'd like to aim to do and see and then aside from that explore and go with your gut. 

1 hour ago, Respectfatfrog said:

My one tip for all newbies is its OK to feel shit at glasto through tiredness or what ever, yes it's the biggest party in the world but you can feel low and its fine reach out on here or go for a walk to explore 

Absolutely this. 

I was a festival veteran when I first went to Glastonbury, and still felt entirely overwhelmed sometime on the Wednesday evening. I soon found my sea legs and now it's arguably my favourite place on the planet. So give yourself some slack, and give yourself time to come to terms with the enormity of it all. 

Ben

17 minutes ago, Leon_Anthony said:

I’m also a Glasto Noob, I’m getting the coach down and heard I’ll be arrive in GateA does anyone recommend a field to camp at? 

depending on timing ... its usually worth asking the campsite stewards at the caravan by gate A . unless you arrive very early when you will have free reign .... torts guide above is a great reference tool 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, collectivisedfarming said:

Pick about four/five acts/things you'd like to aim to do and see and then aside from that explore and go with your gut. 

I’d go further than this and say choose the one act you really want to see and build your night around them.

For me this means watching all of the act that’s on before to make sure I’m happy with my spot.

6 hours ago, Respectfatfrog said:

My one tip for all newbies is its OK to feel shit at glasto through tiredness or what ever, yes it's the biggest party in the world but you can feel low and its fine reach out on here or go for a walk to explore 

Absolutely, but added to that, it will pass. 

If you're not enjoying something move on.  In 2016 in the mud, I was watching someone I really wanted to see on the pyramid (can't remember who now!) mid afternoon.  I wasn't feeling it so decided to leave.  Trudged off, through the mud, a bit pissed off and came across (for the first time) Lekkido Lord of the Lobster performing to about 15 people. I stopped and joined in his silly dance moves and felt better.  Then went on to a bar where they played A Message to You Rudi and a guy got his trumpet out, stood on the table and played along.  Great stuff.

So in short, follow the old mantra, "if you're enjoying it stay, if you're not move on and find something else".

• Like 2

Baz Luhrmann was onto something: Sunscreen, and also maybe a hat and sunglasses are very important. Don't forget to reapply every couple of hours, and make sure you remember the back of your neck, ears, nose, etc. Sunburn can take the shine off an otherwise great week, besides the potential long term effects.

• Like 1