Traveling to and from Glastonbury - Best Method

tokyodub

Thanks all for the advice, although now going to have to pray my trolley holds up based on feedback.

Going back and forth with friends regarding the best time to arrive by train, they want to arrive around 10AM to get a better spot but I'm in favour of around 3PM to miss the worst of the queues for the shuttlebus and getting into the festival.

I have a feeling that even if you get there at 10AM, with all the queues, you wont be getting into the festival until 2PM and therefore most of the good camping spots will be gone anyway, so you might as well leave later to spare the waiting around.

Would be good to know peoples thoughts here?

8 minutes ago, tokyodub said:

Thanks all for the advice, although now going to have to pray my trolley holds up based on feedback.

Going back and forth with friends regarding the best time to arrive by train, they want to arrive around 10AM to get a better spot but I'm in favour of around 3PM to miss the worst of the queues for the shuttlebus and getting into the festival.

I have a feeling that even if you get there at 10AM, with all the queues, you wont be getting into the festival until 2PM and therefore most of the good camping spots will be gone anyway, so you might as well leave later to spare the waiting around.

Would be good to know peoples thoughts here?

It really depends on where you want to camp. If you haven't already, then start by reading Tort's Guide to all things Glastonbury. 

https://www.glastoearth.com/ 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tokyodub said:

Thanks for the advice - Do you think I would be able to bring one of those collapsable trolleys on the shuttle bus from Bath and West? Its this one if it helps - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/all-terrain-transport-cart/_/R-p-329960

Yeah you'll be fine with that on the shuttle. Especially if it's folded up and you unfold and load it the other end. 

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

2013 we were in a car park what is now I think Purple 2 (if you look at the 2022 map!) it was so far away may have well been in Shepton Mallet.

Me and a couple of mates went to the car (I think) Friday AM to get some more beer out of one of the cars and the whole ordeal took 2-3 hours! 😄 

That’s why we take the bikes and trailers makes it a fair bit faster and easier on the back 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey - I'm actually selling two coach tickets for the following times from London Victoria if this helps? We booked as a group of 6 and 2 of us can't make it but National Express won't let us cancel 2 without the whole group doing the same. 

Wednesday 26th

Departs: 09:30

Arrives: 13:00

Monday 1st July (early morning)

Departs: 04:30

Arrives: 08:25 

On 4/26/2024 at 12:23 PM, Pateen said:

Train for me from London is always a winner.

Queues getting back to the station takes 4-5 hours but its fine

We're on the 10.30 train down from Paddington on Wednesday. Is the actual train mental or is it just the shuttle queues when you get off the other side?

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Witness said:

We're on the 10.30 train down from Paddington on Wednesday. Is the actual train mental or is it just the shuttle queues when you get off the other side?

Thanks

From my experience the trains weren't that busy, they'll put you on whatever train is waiting rather than the train you have specifically bought a ticket for. The queue at Castle Cary was huge though so you could be waiting some time. This was arriving mid to late morning Weds.

If it was me, i'd pick coach instead of train. No queueing for a shuttle bus, even though it takes longer.

Edited by Johnnyseven

On 4/24/2023 at 10:30 PM, TheDayman said:

How many are you splitting the taxi with? Don't underestimate how much space your stuff is going to take up too.

Second that - dependent on whether the people you are travelling with have got tents  it is likely you will need at least a people carrier  because of all the stuff you will need to take.

also a consideration, if it is a very wet and muddy year your taxi driver may not be that happy if you all rock up covered in thick wet mud with welly's on.  You might get an additional charge if they need to get the interior cleaned afterwards.  I know it sounds silly but on a really muddy year everything is a state on Monday.