guypjfreak

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

If I was 3 then what's not to like.

Think she is saying,  in sineads way of saying things, that all other singer songwriters are the burger kings lot

having had a re-read of her words perhaps you're right having checked hi ren, perhaps i'm right, as my take seems a better fit with what i saw and heard.

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

Fair enough, not going to like everything. 

fair enough, not for me, just reminded me of so much - the white coat and wheelchair thing has been done before, trying to remember what, coming to mind is nash the slash.

8 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Cobain, Reading '92

FpWdmlGWIAENeQd.jpg

Thanks, Nash the slash is about the same era and is an act I only know cos of photos in 1980's music papers (mostly sounds).

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Yeah, provably right but must have all passed o'Conor by given her words.

I think her comments were more to do with the songwriting and performance rather than set and costume design. 

Did you watch any others, or just Hi Ren. I'd recommend the Tale of Jenny and Screech, wondering what your take on that would be. 

Edited by Alvoram

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Yeah, provably right but must have all passed o'Conor by given her words.

For that song, it's not just a costume, it's intrinsic to the personal journey he's been on over the last ten years or so, living with a chronic auto-immune disorder that has given him extreme physical and mental health issues.

There's nothing new under the sun, but this version is elevating his influences to a whole new level. Incidentally, the fact that a lot of this has been done before is directly addressed in the song itself.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I think her comments were more to do with the songwriting and performance rather than set and costume design. 

Did you watch any others, or just Hi Ren. I'd recommend the Tale of Jenny and Screech, wondering what your take on that would be. 

The setting is part of the performance.

It's definitely that as a part of the theatre.

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

The setting is part of the performance.

It's definitely that as a part of the theatre.

That's fair, it's definitely 'part' of the performance, especially when it sets the scene for the whole song as it does here. However I don't think wearing a similar costume to somebody in the past defines the performance. 

Anyway, did you watch the Tale of Jenny and Screech? It's his ability to tell a story, and hold your attention, his wordsmithery that impresses me so much. He's not necessarily the most original artist ever, he's not the first to be able to tell a good story in song, not even the first to tell the tale of abusive cycles through different generations. But bloody hell, he is definitely one of the best at it I've come across in recent years / decades. 

Just now, Alvoram said:

However I don't think wearing a similar costume to somebody in the past defines the performance. 

that's not what i said.i said the costume is part of the performance.  and going on from that. as a repeat  i can't reconcile  it with  o'connor's words.

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

that's not what i said.i said the costume is part of the performance.  and going on from that. as a repeat  i can't reconcile  it with  o'connor's words.

I think I must be misunderstanding you then, because I thought you were saying that you cannot understand Sinead's high praise for his songwriting and performance, because somebody else has performed in a medical gown and wheelchair before??? 

3 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I think I must be misunderstanding you then, because I thought you were saying that you cannot understand Sinead's high praise for his songwriting and performance, because somebody else has performed in a medical gown and wheelchair before??? 

i take her words as saying it can't be compared to anything before, because there's nothing like it before. but anyway not important.  just more air from o'connor, she's got a lifetime of it.

Edited by Neil

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

i take her words as saying it can't be compared to anything before, because there's nothing like it before. but anyway not important.  just more air from o'connor, she's got a lifetime of it.

Oh ok, well that makes a lot more sense now... You know, you're really hard to read sometimes, probably why you're often misunderstood. 🙈

I don't read her comment like that though, I read it as his songwriting and performance was so good, it makes many who came before him's efforts look like the work of children. But maybe I'm wrong. 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Oh ok, well that makes a lot more sense now... You know, you're really hard to read sometimes, probably why you're often misunderstood. 🙈

I don't read her comment like that though, I read it as his songwriting and performance was so good, it makes many who came before him's efforts look like the work of children. But maybe I'm wrong. 🤷‍♂️

Which doesn't hold up if you can find similar that's come before, airvsaysvhis is childlike if there's anything similar form the past ( which is how I took it originally).

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

Which doesn't hold up if you can find similar that's come before, airvsaysvhis is childlike if there's anything similar form the past ( which is how I took it originally).

I wouldn't disagree with that, but I wouldn't think that wearing the same costume as somebody else wore qualifies it as being too similar to something else from the past. 

Anyway, never mind that now, I understand your point of view, while I don't share the same view, it makes perfect sense to me and I can see where you're coming from... More importantly though, what did you think of the story telling in The Tale of Jenny and Screech? 

15 hours ago, Alvoram said:

That's how I read it too.