Thread Again

CaledonianGonzo

1 hour ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

a bit longer - he won Producer of the Year in 2020, three years ago

Not sure if this was quoting me too but he only made it out of dance circles with that boiler room set. I think that set is the definite date he broke. We Lost Dancing was already a pretty big dance track at that point of course

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Not sure if this was quoting me too but he only made it out of dance circles with that boiler room set. I think that set is the definite date he broke. We Lost Dancing was already a pretty big dance track at that point of course

100%.

That Boiler Room changed his life. I saw him at APE the year before and he was playing 3pm ish on the 3rd biggest stage to a half empty tent. 

11 minutes ago, gfa said:

he only made it out of dance circles with that boiler room set

In terms of mainstream crossover as a DJ, yes, I think you're right (although, generally, i think boiler rooms sets don't get too much attention outside of dance circles). But as a producer, he was producing for Ed Sheeran in 2019. That's pretty mainstream. His trajectory has only ever been upwards. 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Born in to money, privately educated, and seemed to have a few connections in the biz early on, basically, and has had a pretty relentless PR team pushing him at every step since. Obviously all that would mean nothing if he wasn’t good at what he does, but he’s certainly had more of a leg up than most young producers would. 

Add to this that his parents are connected to the UK Crown and his neighbor growing up was Brian Eno (who then mentored him).

1 hour ago, lukethekid said:

Snide that, he has got some decent tunes to be fair although you shouldn’t be able to buy your way to the top. 

I really like Fred Again and he is clearly talented; but its fair to acknowledge he has definitely come from a means of financial safety and resources.

2 hours ago, lukethekid said:

I know he’s now been around for a bit, but there’s absolutely no denying that his rise to stardom was very very quick. You don’t go from breaking to headlining Coachella in a year. 

This isn't an overnight thing.  He co-wrote and produced "Shotgun" for George Ezra - that was 5 years ago now!  Then he co-wrote and produced half of Ed Sheeran's 2019 album, which had something like 5 No1 singles.  

Him doing his own stuff is a newer thing, but he's been making No1 records for half a decade now.

1 hour ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

In terms of mainstream crossover as a DJ, yes, I think you're right (although, generally, i think boiler rooms sets don't get too much attention outside of dance circles). But as a producer, he was producing for Ed Sheeran in 2019. That's pretty mainstream. His trajectory has only ever been upwards. 

Of course but nobody cares about producers really, nobody had heard of him till releasing his own stuff. and many people are surprised to find out he worked on songs for basically all pop artists

1 hour ago, FrogLobster said:

Add to this that his parents are connected to the UK Crown and his neighbor growing up was Brian Eno (who then mentored him).

I really like Fred Again and he is clearly talented; but its fair to acknowledge he has definitely come from a means of financial safety and resources.

I think there's been a wee bit of a misunderstanding on the UK Crown thing: looks like his dad is a KC (i.e. King's Counsel). That just means you're a very senior barrister or solicitor, it doesn't mean you have any familial links etc to the Royal Family.

Very much doubt he's a Tory given his demographic profile TBH! (Skrillex is a Jordan Petersen fan though!).

11 minutes ago, Hags said:

I think there's been a wee bit of a misunderstanding on the UK Crown thing: looks like his dad is a KC (i.e. King's Counsel). That just means you're a very senior barrister or solicitor, it doesn't mean you have any familial links etc to the Royal Family.

Very much doubt he's a Tory given his demographic profile TBH! (Skrillex is a Jordan Petersen fan though!).

Rich white Londoner?

9 minutes ago, gfa said:

Rich white Londoner?

Yeah. Latest YouGov poll of London (March 2023) found 67% of voters aged 25-49 saying they would vote Labour, and 11% Conservative. Among, 18-24s it’s 75-7%. I imagine ‘working in the music industry’ and ‘being bezzie mates with Brian Eno and Four Tet’ might skew that a bit further!  https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/b700t580da/Internal_LondonVI_230405_W.pdf

But anyway, in danger of veering wildly off topic..

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hags said:

Yeah. Latest YouGov poll of London (March 2023) found 67% of voters aged 25-49 saying they would vote Labour, and 11% Conservative. Among, 18-24s it’s 75-7%. I imagine ‘working in the music industry’ and ‘being bezzie mates with Brian Eno and Four Tet’ might skew that a bit further!  https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/b700t580da/Internal_LondonVI_230405_W.pdf

But anyway, in danger of veering wildly off topic..

Forgot Fred Again was a normal member of the population

he's absolute minted and went to a £10k a term public school

but nobody knows so no point continuing this really

Edited by gfa

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Forgot Fred Again was a normal member of the population

he's absolute minted and went to a £10k a term public school

but nobody knows so no point continuing this really

Aha, agreed! 🙂Tho, to segue us back, he might have to say one way or the other at some point if he plans on headlining the Pyramid! 

3 hours ago, lukethekid said:

Just had a little read through his Wiki, didn’t know he had all the pop stuff under his belt too. Fair play to him, he’s good at what he does. 

56 minutes ago, goonerben said:

This isn't an overnight thing.  He co-wrote and produced "Shotgun" for George Ezra - that was 5 years ago now!  Then he co-wrote and produced half of Ed Sheeran's 2019 album, which had something like 5 No1 singles.  

Him doing his own stuff is a newer thing, but he's been making No1 records for half a decade now.

I know

32 minutes ago, Hags said:

Aha, agreed! 🙂Tho, to segue us back, he might have to say one way or the other at some point if he plans on headlining the Pyramid! 

😂why

so many acts have done the pyramid before without saying lol

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Born in to money, privately educated, and seemed to have a few connections in the biz early on, basically, and has had a pretty relentless PR team pushing him at every step since. Obviously all that would mean nothing if he wasn’t good at what he does, but he’s certainly had more of a leg up than most young producers would. 

If you’ve got talent, and he clearly does. Does it matter how you get there? Really? In the bigger scheme of things, you either like said artist or not really. 

Just now, Franky said:

If you’ve got talent, and he clearly does. Does it matter how you get there? Really? In the bigger scheme of things, you either like said artist or not really. 

Somebody asked and I answered. Obviously in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter, no, as he’s clearly a talented guy, but you’d be daft for thinking that not having to worry about money growing up and having pre-existing connections in the biz haven’t given this guy a huge leg up that other equally if not more talented people haven’t had, and that’s true of an awful lot of musicians who explode out of nowhere, especially in the U.K. it seems.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Somebody asked and I answered. Obviously in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter, no, as he’s clearly a talented guy, but you’d be daft for thinking that not having to worry about money growing up and having pre-existing connections in the biz haven’t given this guy a huge leg up that other equally if not more talented people haven’t had, and that’s true of an awful lot of musicians who explode out of nowhere, especially in the U.K. it seems.

Yeah I agree and I wasn’t having a pop. But like why get hung up on his upbringing and the journey. Of course it was easier for him but he still makes the same impact on the world 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Franky said:

If you’ve got talent, and he clearly does. Does it matter how you get there? Really?

Essentially, that's all that matters as ideally the music industry should be a meritocracy where talent and hard work  is rewarded with success.

Unfortunately, that isn't the reality that the vast majority of musicians experience.  They may have talent, may work hard but for a variety of reasons, don't enjoy the same level of luck and success.

That could be due to a number of things.  In FA's case, he was lucky to be born into privilege, lucky to have Brian Eno as a neighbour and mentor, lucky to get a vastly superior music education from his school, lucky to be able to dedicate his life to music in the knowledge he has a financial safety net to explore it, lucky to have the connections necessary to further his career and get opportunities that would be out of reach to the majority of people.

While incredibly lucky to have all of those opportunities, they would be irrelevant without having talent and (more importantly), the work ethic necessary to develop those skills.

The main thing is, he makes music that resonates with a lot of people who enjoy it immensely.  Unless his rise to fame / success was at the expense of other, more talented musicians, does his history matter a lot in the great deal of things?

16 minutes ago, Franky said:

Yeah I agree and I wasn’t having a pop. But like why get hung up on his upbringing and the journey. Of course it was easier for him but he still makes the same impact on the world 🤷‍♂️

It doesn’t really matter does it and it’s not really any of our business on how he’s got there but if you or me had that type of backing and wanted to do it, it could be done. So it’s basically saying you could be a superstar if you’ve got the money behind you too. 
The end result is the music isn’t it, which is good. I wouldn’t knock him for it, it’s not his fault his parents are minted. 

Many a mega rich kid don't go on to have a producer catalogue like Fred's. The reality is his own music success has blown up from building a really decent brand of which the four tet and Skrillex thing has been huge for him, a strong community following via accessible music and out reach with ###### etc and creating albums that are niche to other dance music being made using samples which are US and chart friendly. He seems like a top fella to me.