Planning application to secure a permanent full planning permission for Glastonbury Festival

Dukeicon

One other interesting thing here is that this plan is intentionally for a long period - which means the late night areas are not as likely to move again as it would require an otherwise unnecessary change to the plan.

image.thumb.png.b7cd7cc00cabf99104a794c19eaaead0.png

On 1/14/2023 at 6:58 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

If it's the same size, layout and capacity, we absolutely are. Kendrick's crowd size won't be as large as Elton's and last year it was a difficult job getting across from the Pyramid to the rest of the site, post-Sunday headliner. That was the only real dangerous overcrowding I witnessed and it was pretty bad. Others have different experiences, of course. Good and bad. 

So SE corner might be a bit less crowded for a while at least

On 1/13/2023 at 10:43 AM, Sawdusty surfer said:

Alcohol sales as already said are a massive source of income for the festival. 

That is why anyone caught (well, certainly crew) selling alcohol faces an life ban. 

I've heard of it happening several times although not for a few years now, probably because the message has got through. About ten years ago one Greenfields worker I know got hit with it. All they had was a 20l plastic barrel of cider with a little sign up advertising it. 

Cowered on a bench escaping the rain in 2007 drinking cider in the Greenfields. Couldn’t find the stall in 2008. Sad times 😞

On 1/13/2023 at 7:43 AM, Sawdusty surfer said:

Alcohol sales as already said are a massive source of income for the festival. 

That is why anyone caught (well, certainly crew) selling alcohol faces an life ban. 

I've heard of it happening several times although not for a few years now, probably because the message has got through. About ten years ago one Greenfields worker I know got hit with it. All they had was a 20l plastic barrel of cider with a little sign up advertising it. 

Wow I no idea

Loads of us used to sell cans in the stone circle field

11 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Wow I no idea

Loads of us used to sell cans in the stone circle field

I used to do it back in the day.

I had a vintage Raleigh butcher's bike with a huge rack and basket on the front and a child's seat on the back . I'd load the basket with three slabs of Stella loose and have two slabs on the child's seat. It had legs on the front that dropped down so it would stand up on its own. I'd trundle downhill to Babylon and sell as fast as I could take money from people. Then I'd pedal back up the hill to my lorry to restock. We were living in a huge Bedford TK removals lorry that we'd converted. It was a 12 1/2 tonner, 36 foot long and almost as tall as a a double decker. Most of the floor inside was raised so we had a secret cellar that had about four foot of headroom. It was accessed through a trapdoor in the living room, hidden under a rug 

In the days before the licensing laws changed it was so easy to sell beer after hours, but the magic time was Sunday afternoon between 2.00pm and 7.00pm. No bars open!!!

Hopefully here's a pic of the bike with my now two grown up girls, and one of the lorry 

Edit. Just worked it out. Next year it will be a quarter of a century since I last last sold beer there. Gulp! 

FB_IMG_1673899824031.jpg

FB_IMG_1673899919742.jpg

Edited by Sawdusty surfer
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 13

5 hours ago, Breeze said:

One other interesting thing here is that this plan is intentionally for a long period - which means the late night areas are not as likely to move again as it would require an otherwise unnecessary change to the plan.

image.thumb.png.b7cd7cc00cabf99104a794c19eaaead0.png

Interestingly if you zoom in the areas they're requesting for "late night entertainment" it looks to include a field in the SE corner that's currently partly staff camping.

Similarly over by the park stage the area for late night entertainment extends out to cinearmageddon but also looks to cover most of Paine's ground. 

So looks like there is some future proofing being worked in.

Screenshot_20230116-202853.png

Screenshot_20230116-202857.png

Screenshot_20230116-203636.png

Screenshot_20230116-203644.png

Edited by Leyrulion
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Interestingly if you zoom in the areas they're requesting for "late night entertainment" it looks to include a field in the SE corner that's currently partly staff camping.

Similarly over by the park stage the area for late night entertainment extends out to cinearmageddon but also looks to cover most of Paine's ground. 

That looks like they may be taking over Dragon field lower half, which is currently an "overflow" camping and live in vechiles for Green Fields and various other inc the pole painters.

We can't fit everyone in Dragon field upper, unless they give us more of the SE corner stewards field. Hopefully I'm not back to my old job on the crossroads as that includes shifts during the event.

17 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

That looks like they may be taking over Dragon field lower half, which is currently an "overflow" camping and live in vechiles for Green Fields and various other inc the pole painters.

We can't fit everyone in Dragon field upper, unless they give us more of the SE corner stewards field. Hopefully I'm not back to my old job on the crossroads as that includes shifts during the event.

Looks to be the bit I've highlighted red which is I think currently part of unfair ground rather than camping but could well be wrong! 

At any rate I expect this is just them future proofing for the rest of this festival cycle and the next one to let them change if they want to rather than an indication of what will happen this year.

Screenshot_20230116-221753~2.png

7 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Looks to be the bit I've highlighted red which is I think currently part of unfair ground rather than camping but could well be wrong! 

At any rate I expect this is just them future proofing for the rest of this festival cycle and the next one to let them change if they want to rather than an indication of what will happen this year.

Screenshot_20230116-221753~2.png

Yea thats Unfairground. I may be safe for now.

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Screenshot_20230116-202853.png

Screenshot_20230116-203636.png

Screenshot_20230116-203644.png

i doubt they could really expand much up by the park / arcadia, its in such an exposed position vs the se corner and the locals main gripe already seems to be noise

On 1/14/2023 at 6:58 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

If it's the same size, layout and capacity, we absolutely are. Kendrick's crowd size won't be as large as Elton's and last year it was a difficult job getting across from the Pyramid to the rest of the site, post-Sunday headliner. That was the only real dangerous overcrowding I witnessed and it was pretty bad. Others have different experiences, of course. Good and bad. 

Probably didn't help Bicep was on the main stage closest to the SE corner, with Kendrick likely also having a fairly young, se corner orientated crowd

19 minutes ago, gfa said:

i doubt they could really expand much up by the park / arcadia, its in such an exposed position vs the se corner and the locals main gripe already seems to be noise

Not currently, but it gives them interesting options if they ever wanted to look at the arcadia/park configuration given the issues that people have had with crowds round there.

6 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Not currently, but it gives them interesting options if they ever wanted to look at the arcadia/park configuration given the issues that people have had with crowds round there.

true, could also do indoor venues.

howcome beat hotel / silver hayes are excluded, Wow goes till 3 which is the same as arcadia - as does san remo and lonely hearts club (which is outdoor too!)

30 minutes ago, gfa said:

true, could also do indoor venues.

howcome beat hotel / silver hayes are excluded, Wow goes till 3 which is the same as arcadia - as does san remo and lonely hearts club (which is outdoor too!)

I've just realised that this is from the premises licence- so it's not actually a request they can already do it. 

Maybe it's to do with late night refreshment only kicking in after 3am? Clubs normally shut then unless they've got extra permission from the local council i think.

That or possibly the size of the sound system making a difference?

10 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

In the days before the licensing laws changed it was so easy to sell beer after hours, but the magic time was Sunday afternoon between 2.00pm and 7.00pm. No bars open!!!

Before my drinking days but I was aware of the limited hours back then in pubs. Crazy to think that the bars would just shut down for 5 hours at the festival.