2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

Been on an EOTR discovery buzz all day and discovered some really good things lower down on bill. 

I still think there is a lot to add for top half - seems to be missing at least of couple of Kurt Vile / Perfume Genius type acts.

Edited by Nick07

11 hours ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Agree with others that this has a bit of a 'alternative festival' (le guess who, supersonic, rewire..) vibe. Wonder if this is a  conscious decision or a case of 'what is available'.

Supersonic has moved to the same weekend. So that's probably the answer.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Nick07 said:

It’s defo missing a top tier second line - Perfume Genius, Kurt Vile, Kevin Morby all played last year 

Yup. I'm still excited for it cos there looks to be some great undiscovered stuff but would be nice to get some more top tier second liners...only Angel fits that bracket at the moment and if you look at past line ups there's been at least 3 or 4 every other year.

If they don't materialise they should expect some criticism. Headliners are very uninspiring but that's often been the case and hasn't really mattered...think it will this year unless there's at least a couple more crowdpleasing names to come.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, domjon said:

Yup. I'm still excited for it cos there looks to be some great undiscovered stuff but would be nice to get some more top tier second liners...only Angel fits that bracket at the moment and if you look at past line ups there's been at least 3 or 4 every other year.

If they don't materialise they should expect some criticism. Headliners are very uninspiring but that's often been the case and hasn't really mattered...think it will this year unless there's at least a couple more crowdpleasing names to come.

Headliners won’t please everyone but you would expect to see more established acts (The Walkmen, Julia Jacklin, Osees spring to mind).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, homesick said:

Surprised at all the negativity about Future Islands booking. Good live act who are at the height of their popularity (just had their biggest ever show at Alexandra Palace). I understand if people don’t like them but they’re not exactly under the calibre of headliner you’d expect from this festival

And they certainly won’t stink the place out like the boreathon that was Fleet Foxes last year 

This of course is the joy of EotR, decent festivals and music generally; I thought FF were superb last year and would rather have my teeth pulled than see Future Islands again.

I have been every year except one since the 3rd EotR, and for my taste this is the most underwhelming first announcement I have seen. Wilco and Angel the exceptions of the big names (though even then I saw her last year, so…), but there unusually few other names I fancy. The fact that eg Panic Shack, who are undeniably fun but not a ‘good’ band, are halfway up the bill seems weird.

But…the joy of EotR is not (for me) the big acts, it’s the discoveries. Plus the people, the setting, the beer, the whole vibe. So I am sure it will be a fab weekend anyway!

• Like 1

I was initially disappointed but thought I'll no doubt find some gems on the playlist (great that EOTR make and share a playlist at this stage, love that ) but I'm totally uninspired so far.   I can't really see what's justifying the ticket price at this stage.I'm sure I'm just being grumpy cos I had my stupid heart set on the Walkmen.

Anyone found anything new they are into on the lineup yet?

10 minutes ago, GlitterTea said:

I was initially disappointed but thought I'll no doubt find some gems on the playlist (great that EOTR make and share a playlist at this stage, love that ) but I'm totally uninspired so far.   I can't really see what's justifying the ticket price at this stage.I'm sure I'm just being grumpy cos I had my stupid heart set on the Walkmen.

I really like the sound of Yot Club, realised I’d heard them on Radio 6 the other day, so after a more in depth listen yesterday they’ve become a must see for me. They’ve also got a better Spotify listener count than all of the headliners which baffles me as I’ve only just heard of them. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GlitterTea said:

I don’t think we can pass judgement until full lineup out 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, GlitterTea said:

Sam Burton...Tim Buckleyesque, really good songwriter by the sounds of it

Moin ...very Slinty, be a decent racket I reckon

Floodlights ... Aussie post punk/ jangle pop ...

Tapir sound like they have something interesting going on

Indigo Sparke put out a decent album on sacred bones, usually a good mark of quality

Loads already really and I've barely begun digging.

I don’t think we can fault the undercard. 

It’s just the middle tier of acts. I thought The Walkmen were ideal - it makes sense that they may have been omitted until the Koko dates sell out but surely just wait for that to happen then announce EOTR. This is why I don’t think they will play now. 

Edited by Nick07
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, domjon said:

Indigo Sparke put out a decent album on sacred bones, usually a good mark of quality

Her last album was produced by Aaron Dessner and the one before that by Adrienne Lenker, so it's surprising she hasn't picked up more interest.

If you like Angel Olsen try Gena Rose Bruce, an Australian making spectral sweeping indie-folk and somehow got Bill Callahan to duet on a track on her new album.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Her last album was produced by Aaron Dessner and the one before that by Adrienne Lenker, so it's surprising she hasn't picked up more interest.

If you like Angel Olsen try Gena Rose Bruce, an Australian making spectral sweeping indie-folk and somehow got Bill Callahan to duet on a track on her new album.

Yeah I was listening to that last night and was v surprised when Bill's unmistakable drawl came in.

24 minutes ago, Nick07 said:

I don’t think we can pass judgement until full lineup out 

This is sort of where I'm at now. Like everyone says it's completely missing the obvious 2nd from top acts for Woods/Garden/Big Top. To my eye, it's missing one Garden headliner too, and one late night Big Top.

Whoever it is, I think those additions would represent "value for money", even if the headliners/additions aren't my cup of tea. I'm a bit confused as to why some haven't been added now, but maybe it's various logistical reasons. Fingers crossed because I think it everyone's disappointment will be justified otherwise.

11 minutes ago, GlitterTea said:

Maybe I was just unlucky with what came on when I shuffled the playlist last night, or maybe I was too grumpy to appreciate anything. 

Will check your suggestions out.

I always find the playlist disappointing!...the very nature of the festival means it's a headache inducing constant flit from genre to genre

A spreadsheet and work my way up from the bottom of the bill like a proper sad fucker

1 hour ago, oochie said:

This is sort of where I'm at now. Like everyone says it's completely missing the obvious 2nd from top acts for Woods/Garden/Big Top. To my eye, it's missing one Garden headliner too, and one late night Big Top.

Whoever it is, I think those additions would represent "value for money", even if the headliners/additions aren't my cup of tea. I'm a bit confused as to why some haven't been added now, but maybe it's various logistical reasons. Fingers crossed because I think it everyone's disappointment will be justified otherwise.

I don’t think one person will love everyone but I think there should be a few that tick the box. 

It’s missing that classic act at 8pm on Sunday in Big Top too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Meades93 said:

I really like the sound of Yot Club, realised I’d heard them on Radio 6 the other day, so after a more in depth listen yesterday they’ve become a must see for me. They’ve also got a better Spotify listener count than all of the headliners which baffles me as I’ve only just heard of them. 

Viral tik tok song apparently. Nearly 400 million plays for a song on there is absurd! 

• Thanks 1

I've never been that fussed about the line-ups, particularly the headliners, but my 21 year old who may come now texted "King gizz headline not someone old !" which says a lot.

Seems far fewer names I recognise on the line-up, but I've complete confidence in Simon an co, particularly after 2021 which was my favourite of the 10 I've done.

Divide and Dissolve supported Low (sob) last year and were astonishing.

2 minutes ago, killyourtv said:

I've never been that fussed about the line-ups, particularly the headliners, but my 21 year old who may come now texted "King gizz headline not someone old !" which says a lot.

Seems far fewer names I recognise on the line-up, but I've complete confidence in Simon an co, particularly after 2021 which was my favourite of the 10 I've done.

Divide and Dissolve supported Low (sob) last year and were astonishing.

Divide And Dissolve were incredible at Supersonic.  

Big Brave also a must see 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 10:00 AM, SweepingTheNation said:

I quite like the sound of Gena Rose Bruce, gave it a go. I'm not sure if it almost sounds too (!) much like Angel to me, but I don't hate it!

I know it's not as far down but I'd never listened to Daniel Norgren before and he's probably my favourite thing I hadn't already listened to. Sounds like a good Garden one.  I've listened to a bit of Geese before but looking forward to them - probably more on that sound I can find. Looking for stuff with a bit of bite as naturally shuffling I've had a fair few samey acoustic singer songwriter stuff - nothing unpleasant, but then I find stuff like Panic Shack and Personal Trainer a bit annoying so it's finding something maybe earnest but not indie folk!

Edited by jplewes