Six months from today……

PassingCloud

10 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Scenes … I hate the dark days of winter so things are definitely on the up from here … once I shake this illness . Has anyone on here been one of the first punters through the gates as they swing open ? 

Been the first 10 through Gate C and Gate D over the years - never the main opening with the Eavis though! 

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

How far back ? I guess at some point the queues were minimal … although I can’t remember when it all changed ? 

The last few years! Our group are Tuesday overnighters - although as we get older it’s becoming less appealing so not sure I’ll be doing it again in 2023 (ticket dependent)

Edited by mike46

On 12/21/2022 at 8:52 AM, Crazyfool01 said:

Scenes … I hate the dark days of winter so things are definitely on the up from here … once I shake this illness . Has anyone on here been one of the first punters through the gates as they swing open ? 

On 12/21/2022 at 9:03 AM, mike46 said:

Been the first 10 through Gate C and Gate D over the years - never the main opening with the Eavis though! 

Yes and No - because I was already inside so have been standing there taking photos ' as the public has been let in '

Not Sure If This Has Been Mentioned Before - All the gates do not open up at the same time

one year I was up at Gate D and just as Gate D was swung open I spotted some people shifting bags who had walked from Gate A - A fair old walk.

I have a sequence - below is only one of them - all the preparation you don't see - the odd thing is ' its very quiet the other side of the gate ' { sure if you are in that queue you may not agree but if your inside its quiet }

Unlike other years ' this year we entered using Gate A Tuesday 21st of June '
but I am sure it was far more hectic on the Wednesday - lucky enough I arranged for all my camping gear to be transported to the Crew site so I did not have to carry anything as it was a scorching day.

there was no mad rush to get in - we all had to wait for staffing to hand us a named ticket { a staff ticket does not have a photo on it }

The Big change this year was ' we were using a new Crew site ' - always a
pain in the Arse because Crew entry gates may not be where you expect them { which was the case this year } - I know a fair number who got a bit lost { some who have been going for donkey years } - after 34 years I don't walk anywhere until I am sure I know where I am going so I sat in the shade and waited for one of my Team to call me once they were inside the crew site.

I cant walk as far as I used to so no photos of Gate A being swung open.

2013-wbc-26.thumb.jpg.35393b2544b4c0cb73e91c413f9acead.jpg

57 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

Not Sure If This Has Been Mentioned Before - All the gates do not open up at the same time

one year I was up at Gate D and just as Gate D was swung open I spotted some people shifting bags who had walked from Gate A - A fair old walk.

That's of course true - but it's not something that can or should really be factored in.

Gate A does almost always open first for "ceremonial" purposes (ie Michael declaring it open), but unless something has gone wrong then all of the others should be open within 5 minutes or so of that - once Gate A has opened a radio message goes out to the effect of "get yourself open now", and by that point they all should in theory be ready given all the shifts started/changed at 6am.

Of course sometimes it does go wrong - like in that example it sounds like Gate D was delayed for some reason or another (and there's loads of moving parts that could cause that to happen), and I know that delays have also happened at Gate B in the past, but those will be near impossible to predict in terms of where and when it might happen next.

4 hours ago, incident said:

That's of course true - but it's not something that can or should really be factored in.

Gate A does almost always open first for "ceremonial" purposes (ie Michael declaring it open), but unless something has gone wrong then all of the others should be open within 5 minutes or so of that - once Gate A has opened a radio message goes out to the effect of "get yourself open now", and by that point they all should in theory be ready given all the shifts started/changed at 6am.

Of course sometimes it does go wrong - like in that example it sounds like Gate D was delayed for some reason or another (and there's loads of moving parts that could cause that to happen), and I know that delays have also happened at Gate B in the past, but those will be near impossible to predict in terms of where and when it might happen next.

They were about to open Gate D but I suspect they were contacted by Gate A and were told to stand down.

I have all the time codes { As I was there long before the gates actually opened so have lots of preparation shots } and it had to be a 25min delay from when they were about to open - why I don't have a clue as I was up at Gate D.

Whatever the problem was it was not at Gate D

## Must Have Baffled the ticket holders as the gate was swung open and then there was a frantic rush to close it ##

All the staff was called back - they were formed into 4 or 5 groups.

16 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

They were about to open Gate D but I suspect they were contacted by Gate A and were told to stand down.

I'm pretty confident in saying that whatever the reason they pulled back was, it won't be that. Once the Festival is officially open, and Michael has welcomed the first few people through at Gate A, then the Festival actively want all the other Gates online as quickly as possible. Otherwise it fosters rumours and discontent outside, and there's already enough of that occurring naturally.

17 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

Whatever the problem was it was not at Gate D

Maybe. But I don't think that can be reliably determined from observing - as I said there's an awful lot of moving parts. Different organisations have different roles and responsibilities and things they need to check, and it'd only take one of those saying "hold on a minute" to press pause on opening the Gate.