Brixton Crush

gfa

45 minutes ago, gfa said:

Your first line is essentially lets look at the facts and then the second line is complete and utter speculation

Without going into more detail, I have been told that was indeed the case hence the pre-warning on Twitter and the request by the tour manager for additional security resources. 

22 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Without going into more detail, I have been told that was indeed the case hence the pre-warning on Twitter and the request by the tour manager for additional security resources. 

Fair enough - clearly they weren't prepared enough and if they weren't prepared enough knowingly then surely the only solution is just to call it off.

Let's see what happens I guess

Being in the industry, and already studying Level 5 Crowd Science, I am interested in this and other issues such as Halloween to use as study material and increase my knowledge 

But yes it's wait and see, but far too much blame being thrown about at the moment, when the focus should be about 2 individuals who have sadly lost their lives

Just seen brixton’s NYE event and further have been cancelled. It was some dnb night and they tried to move to Beams but nothing came out of it - comments are saying that Beams refuses to host dnb, anyone know if this is just speculation or theres truth to it?

seems unlikely given its Broadwick Live

Edited by gfa

24 minutes ago, gfa said:

Just seen brixton’s NYE event and further have been cancelled. It was some dnb night and they tried to move to Beams but nothing came out of it - comments are saying that Beams refuses to host dnb, anyone know if this is just speculation or theres truth to it?

seems unlikely given its Broadwick Live

I'm not surprised at them cancelling, after NYE there wasn't anything until 11th Jan. So that was definitely going. 

It sounds like they could well be losing their licence though. Which would see them closed for most of 2023. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64059365

The Venues I've seen this happen to in Manchester have almost all lost their licence and been closed for months whilst they change management/wait for the media storm to pass. 

Academy music group have the money to fight it legally but they might not want to. Part of the calculation has to be reputation damage to other academy venues nationally. Maybe better to stay closed for a bit?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I'm not surprised at them cancelling, after NYE there wasn't anything until 11th Jan. So that was definitely going. 

It sounds like they could well be losing their licence though. Which would see them closed for most of 2023. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64059365

The Venues I've seen this happen to in Manchester have almost all lost their licence and been closed for months whilst they change management/wait for the media storm to pass. 

Academy music group have the money to fight it legally but they might not want to. Part of the calculation has to be reputation damage to other academy venues nationally. Maybe better to stay closed for a bit?

Really hope there aren't major changes inside once it reopens, its my favourite venue in London. If the floor gets flatten i'd be gutted

Good point that last paragraph. Few venues in London have a similar capacity so it really does leave a gap that will be hard to fill.

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Really hope there aren't major changes inside once it reopens, its my favourite venue in London. If the floor gets flatten i'd be gutted

Good point that last paragraph. Few venues in London have a similar capacity so it really does leave a gap that will be hard to fill.

I'd be so upset if Brixton closed / changed - it doesn't at the moment seem like the slanted floor was the cause and maybe when investigations end it will show that the venue ((which hosts events of massive demand (think harry styles in may) and what feels like every night of the year)) is not at major fault thus helping the review/reopening... maybe it is but it doesn't seem like o2 academy's negligence rn

27 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

"The doors were due to open at 7pm but those caught up outside claimed via Twitter people were still not allowed inside at 10.25pm"

Doors had opened well before 10:25pm. The show itself got cancelled before that time even

• Upvote 1

So the venue has lost its license because a few hundreds/thousand decided to turn up without tickets & try rush the doors.  how can that be the venues fault?  

how can any venue in the country plan for moronic multiple ticketless fans not giving a damn about anyone's safety or concern.

2 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

So the venue has lost its license because a few hundreds/thousand decided to turn up without tickets & try rush the doors.  how can that be the venues fault?  

how can any venue in the country plan for moronic multiple ticketless fans not giving a damn about anyone's safety or concern.

Because the emergency licence hearing heard that the same situation happened in 2020 and it looks like changes weren't made. So the licence has been suspended until a proper hearing in January when more information from the full investigation can be heard.

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

Because the emergency licence hearing heard that the same situation happened in 2020 and it looks like changes weren't made. So the licence has been suspended until a proper hearing in January when more information from the full investigation can be heard.

what changes were supposed to be made? Getting to the point venues will need to hire  200 security staff armed with riot shields for popular gigs.

reminds me so much of what went on at wembley in the euros final. Absolute tossers not caring about anyone else as long as they get in.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

what changes were supposed to be made? Getting to the point venues will need to hire  200 security staff armed with riot shields for popular gigs.

reminds me so much of what went on at wembley in the euros final. Absolute tossers not caring about anyone else as long as they get in.  

It sounds like they were explicitly told to change the doors and, for whatever reason, haven't. 

If you've been told to do something for safety reasons, don't do it, and then people die at your venue then you might justifiably get blamed for that. 

It'll all come out in the full hearing in January which is why I've said "might" because at this stage the venue is just shut pending investigation into what actually happened. But the sound bytes from the police at this emergency hearing make it seem like they have a lot of work to do in convincing the council to keep the licence.

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

It sounds like they were explicitly told to change the doors and, for whatever reason, haven't. 

If you've been told to do something for safety reasons, don't do it, and then people die at your venue then you might justifiably get blamed for that. 

It'll all come out in the full hearing in January which is why I've said "might" because at this stage the venue is just shut pending investigation into what actually happened. But the sound bites from the police at this emergency hearing make it seem like they have a lot of work to do in convincing the council to keep the licence.

blaming the venue for not having strong doors in case a thousand morons turn up is ridiculous.  I guess having big steel doors could be a deterrent and stop people thinking about not jibbing in but end of the day, hundreds of ticketless morons decided they were going to force their way in & 2 people died. 

11 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

blaming the venue for not having strong doors in case a thousand morons turn up is ridiculous.  I guess having big steel doors could be a deterrent and stop people thinking about not jibbing in but end of the day, hundreds of ticketless morons decided they were going to force their way in & 2 people died. 

How do you know hundreds of ticketless morons turned up? 

43 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

I disagree with you here. No one fully knows what happened yet, that's why they've suspended the licence until a full hearing with all the evidence takes place.

23 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I disagree with you here. No one fully knows what happened yet, that's why they've suspended the licence until a full hearing with all the evidence takes place.

respect you disagreeing but it's pretty obvious that if the many ticketless hadn't turned up and tried to force their way in, those 2 people would still be alive today.

change the location: if a thousand people decided to storm the doors of my local pub and people got hurt, why would that be the pubs fault? 

20 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

change the location: if a thousand people decided to storm the doors of my local pub and people got hurt, why would that be the pubs fault? 

That depends what was going on inside the pub and what measures the pub had put in place to cope with the situation they’d created.