2024 Headliners

11 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Does Glastonbury struggle to sell tickets? 

Ok, I'm struggling to see your point there. Currently no. It has at times in the past, and probably will again at some point in the future if especially they ever starts booking awful sh*t like Doja Cat as a Pyramid headliner.

• Upvote 1

I'd be shocked if Glastonbury struggled in the next five years to shift tickets. It's become so massive that it'll take a few real duffers when it comes to headline trios to do that - and it's been years since they've booked an out-and-out dud trio as a whole.

Anyway, on the subject of metal, book Ghost to play opposite Stevie Wonder.

34 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Try as I might I cannot for the life of me work out what this means

Can't lie to you, it looms like something went horribly wrong on the crappy autocorrect and I didn't notice because I can't even tell you lol.

32 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I'd be shocked if Glastonbury struggled in the next five years to shift tickets. It's become so massive that it'll take a few real duffers when it comes to headline trios to do that - and it's been years since they've booked an out-and-out dud trio as a whole.

Anyway, on the subject of metal, book Ghost to play opposite Stevie Wonder.

Glastonbury attracts way more youngsters than it ever did so the chances are so small. Many of which pay a lot of money for artists etc etc and go to weekend event because their favourite act is headlining one day which has day tickets. Its unlikely anytime soon.

48 minutes ago, northernangel said:

That's the point he's trying to make. Coachella didn't struggle to sell tickets either when they booked a decent bill with $200 less tickets. I wouldn't pay £545 for Coachella without being guaranteed a preffered camping spot. I wouldn't pay that price for Glastonbury currently and I live 3.5 hours away.

So the issue is cost not the headliners. I agree. 

1 hour ago, Colorblindjames said:

Great trio for those who don’t have milquetoast music tastes. 

Lana is the very definition of Milquetoast so I assume you are taking about the other two.

Both of which would be great on Other Stage. Better than Lana if they turned up on time! 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, incident said:

Ok, I'm struggling to see your point there. Currently no. It has at times in the past, and probably will again at some point in the future if especially they ever starts booking awful sh*t like Doja Cat as a Pyramid headliner.

The 100s of thousands who failed to get a ticket suggests you are wrong.

Booking expensive headliners more suited for BST only increases the ticket cost and reduces the quality elsewhere on site as we’ve seen. 

This idea that the lineup has to suit middle class, middle aged blokes every year is silly. Mix it up a bit, take a few risks. 

2 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Booking expensive headliners more suited for BST only increases the ticket cost and reduces the quality elsewhere on site as we’ve seen. 

This idea that the lineup has to suit middle class, middle aged blokes every year is silly. Mix it up a bit, take a few risks. 

Nothing to suggest Glasto have paid any headliners more than normal in recent years, but you can use that as a reason for budget troubles if you like - instead of the real reasons like raging inflation and post Covid supply issues. 

16 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Can't lie to you, it looms like something went horribly wrong on the crappy autocorrect and I didn't notice because I can't even tell you lol.

Glastonbury attracts way more youngsters than it ever did so the chances are so small. Many of which pay a lot of money for artists etc etc and go to weekend event because their favourite act is headlining one day which has day tickets. Its unlikely anytime soon.

Do you have any evidence that it attracts more youngsters? Only because there are more people onsite. I’d say the % hasn’t changed. I’d say the percentage of working class kids is going down. 

Just now, stuie said:

Nothing to suggest Glasto have paid any headliners more than normal in recent years, but you can use that as a reason for budget troubles if you like - instead of the real reasons like raging inflation and post Covid supply issues. 

I guess UK inflation running at over 10% has simply passed you by. 

5 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Ok, so you're making incorrect assumptions and using that to create a false narrative. Gotcha.

1 minute ago, Colorblindjames said:

I guess UK inflation running at over 10% has simply passed you by. 

I said about inflation in the very post you just quoted, so no - it hasn’t passed me by. 

You are trying to say that booking Hyde Park’s lineup is the reason for cuts elsewhere, which it isn’t. 

Next…

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

I said about inflation in the very post you just quoted, so no - it hasn’t passed me by. 

You are trying to say that booking Hyde Park’s lineup is the reason for cuts elsewhere, which it isn’t. 

Next…

Then you clearly fail to understand the impact of inflation. Get back to me when you’ve worked out the difference between a 10% increase on a band that charges 1M to play compared to a 10% increase on a band that charges 10k to play. You should be able to work this out in your head and won’t have to take your socks off. 

3 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Then you clearly fail to understand the impact of inflation. Get back to me when you’ve worked out the difference between a 10% increase on a band that charges 1M to play compared to a 10% increase on a band that charges 10k to play. You should be able to work this out in your head and won’t have to take your socks off. 

Any evidence that bands have increased their fees in line with UK inflation? No? Thought not. 

Question for you… have you seen how slow Coachella tickets are selling for this wonderful groundbreaking trio of headliners? 

10 minutes ago, stuie said:

Any evidence that bands have increased their fees in line with UK inflation? No? Thought not. 

Question for you… have you seen how slow Coachella tickets are selling for this wonderful groundbreaking trio of headliners? 

Sensibly you’ve decided to change track. 

Yep it’s probably pricing causing slow coachella sales. Was the same last year so can point to artists. One of the potential solutions for controlling cost is to stop booking BST type artists. Take a risk on others. 

15 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Sensibly you’ve decided to change track. 

Yep it’s probably pricing causing slow coachella sales. Was the same last year so can point to artists. One of the potential solutions for controlling cost is to stop booking BST type artists. Take a risk on others. 

I haven’t changed track at all. I don’t believe inflation has caused a 10% increase in band fees. The cutbacks you refer to are as a result of inflation and supply issues. 

Coachella sales are due to product and price. People won’t rush to pay top dollar for that lineup. 

Edited by stuie

I came on here, saw the topic was hot, hoped for some potentially interesting news and all I find is a a couple of pernickety people arguing over another festival.

Some of the points are valid (inflation causing issues around the world and the struggle for festivals to book big headliners) which weirdly it seems you pretty much agree on yet you still argue! I can only work out that you disagree in music taste and what you consider good headliners, which among adults should be fine and not turned into arguments and insults. 

It's the nitpicking that's the worst.

I know it's tough not having any Glastonbury line up news but can't you just go on a nice Sunday stroll, see family/friends, listen to music, watch a film, read a book, argue on X or doom scroll on Instagram?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

I came on here, saw the topic was hot, hoped for some potentially interesting news and all I find is a a couple of pernickety people arguing over another festival.

Some of the points are valid (inflation causing issues around the world and the struggle for festivals to book big headliners) which weirdly it seems you pretty much agree on yet you still argue! I can only work out that you disagree in music taste and what you consider good headliners, which among adults should be fine and not turned into arguments and insults. 

It's the nitpicking that's the worst.

I know it's tough not having any Glastonbury line up news but can't you just go on a nice Sunday stroll, see family/friends, listen to music, watch a film, read a book, argue on X or doom scroll on Instagram?

Fair 😂

Have a nice day all! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Colorblindjames said:

So the issue is cost not the headliners. I agree. 

Oh its very much cost. Coachella is a shocking lineup for the cost. The headliners as a trio are the worst I could think of to headline any event I went to. I don't attend Wireless in England, it's Wireless with extras as a bigger gig.

59 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Do you have any evidence that it attracts more youngsters? Only because there are more people onsite. I’d say the % hasn’t changed. I’d say the percentage of working class kids is going down. 

I've been going to the festival for long enough to have seen the difference in youngsters appearing but that also coincides with the type of booking Glastonbury are making more now. Glastonbury has got a bit more of a hostile annoying crowd over the years. I first noticed it the year Kasabian headlined. I enjoyed the set a lot but the crowd it brought it I'd not seen many times if at all at Glastonbury before. So obviously nothing proof as in a write up but this year is my 11th year attending since and including 2008.

Booking the likes of Doja Cat, MTS which Glastonbury have will bring a younger crowd, a vast more about of the tiktok crowd, instagrammers, selfie....we're watching MTS hashtags etc etc. I don't ever thing Glastonbury needed that, it survived perfectly fine with out it.

32 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Oh its very much cost. Coachella is a shocking lineup for the cost. The headliners as a trio are the worst I could think of to headline any event I went to. I don't attend Wireless in England, it's Wireless with extras as a bigger gig.

I've been going to the festival for long enough to have seen the difference in youngsters appearing but that also coincides with the type of booking Glastonbury are making more now. Glastonbury has got a bit more of a hostile annoying crowd over the years. I first noticed it the year Kasabian headlined. I enjoyed the set a lot but the crowd it brought it I'd not seen many times if at all at Glastonbury before. So obviously nothing proof as in a write up but this year is my 11th year attending since and including 2008.

Booking the likes of Doja Cat, MTS which Glastonbury have will bring a younger crowd, a vast more about of the tiktok crowd, instagrammers, selfie....we're watching MTS hashtags etc etc. I don't ever thing Glastonbury needed that, it survived perfectly fine with out it.

The shocking lineup is your opinion. My opinion is booking Dua Lipa and Coldplay would be pretty bad too. 

1 hour ago, stuie said:

I haven’t changed track at all. I don’t believe inflation has caused a 10% increase in band fees. The cutbacks you refer to are as a result of inflation and supply issues. 

Coachella sales are due to product and price. People won’t rush to pay top dollar for that lineup. 

Band fees are impacted by the cost of putting on the show. I guess you know more than EE. Stop digging. 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/oct/18/glastonbury-2023-ticket-prices