2024 Headliners

8 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Coachella has even more mainstream appeal and they take way more chances. And they also have to sell tickets, unlike glasto which is always sold out. Having not to worry about selling tickets and such is supposed to give you freedom when it comes to the lineup and you can set the tone and such for how you do things. Make the audience have to accept that theres a ton of other music out there and its going to be showcased on the big stage, so take it or leave it. If Emily wanted to do the 3 female headliner thing she def could but the shadow of michael is still right there and it has to be done a certain way still. If Emily was so pissed about having the 3 all while me headliners this year and needing to put Lizzo on the first line for the optics then she could do a 180. But she wont cause she feels the audience needs to be coddled.

More mainstream appeal? Nah. 

13 hours ago, incident said:

That only really lasted one year though before they climbed down.

This year, they announced the full lineup a few weeks ahead of the festival, and had announced Prodigy as main headliner earlier than that, in an attempt to shift the last few tickets.

Well okay, they don’t literally announce it day of, but they keep it under wraps way longer than anyone else. Fair point about the prodigy, though I don’t know how many are buying Boomtown tickets specifically for them when you can see them much cheaper elsewhere.

15 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Coachella has even more mainstream appeal and they take way more chances. And they also have to sell tickets, unlike glasto which is always sold out. Having not to worry about selling tickets and such is supposed to give you freedom when it comes to the lineup and you can set the tone and such for how you do things. Make the audience have to accept that theres a ton of other music out there and its going to be showcased on the big stage, so take it or leave it. If Emily wanted to do the 3 female headliner thing she def could but the shadow of michael is still right there and it has to be done a certain way still. If Emily was so pissed about having the 3 all while me headliners this year and needing to put Lizzo on the first line for the optics then she could do a 180. But she wont cause she feels the audience needs to be coddled.

Glasto try to book the biggest acts possible and have some acts they have been trying to get onboard for many years.

Chances are the 3 biggest acts available aren't going to be women as theres probably under 10 acts that are suitable headliners before you even consider who is / isn't around and who will agree to the pay.

Also worth considering that if they book 3 women in one year it makes it difficult to keep booking them in the following few years - if they got say Madonna (who wouldn't agree probably), Dua Lipa and Olivia Rodrigo then who would they get next year?

24 minutes ago, gfa said:

Also worth considering that if they book 3 women in one year it makes it difficult to keep booking them in the following few years - if they got say Madonna (who wouldn't agree probably), Dua Lipa and Olivia Rodrigo then who would they get next year?

Good point. Taylor is always an option but obviously determined by touring cycles etc, could try for Adele again...

59 minutes ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

Good point. Taylor is always an option but obviously determined by touring cycles etc, could try for Adele again...

Consensus from a lot of people is taylor was far smaller in 2020 and would be hard to lock down again

On 9/17/2023 at 11:16 AM, aj6658 said:

Been away for awhile so only read the last few but seriously?!? Olivia Rodrigo to headline ?!?

Maybe being late 20's she isn't on my Radar but was kinda shocked to see 61m million listeners on Spotify. 

I dont know, she doesn't scream Headliner to me particular for us Brits. 

Can see her Headlining Other or Subbing 

Have you seen the UK tour she just announced?

Its huge. The 2 dates in Manchester are mega.

33 minutes ago, wghennessy said:

Have you seen the UK tour she just announced?

Its huge. The 2 dates in Manchester are mega.

• Elton John
  • Arctic monkeys
  • The Killers
  • Macca 
  • GnR
  • Billie Ellis 
  • Kendrick Lamar 
  • The Cure
  • Stormzy
  • Foo fighters 
  • Radiohead 
  • Ed Sheeran
  • Muse 
  • Adele
  • Coldplay
  • Arcade Fire 
  • Metallica 
  • Rolling Stones
  • The Who
  • Kayne West 

I stand by she sticks out like a sore thumb vs the last dacade of headliners but I acknowledge that maybe im not her Demo or not my music so have lack of visibility of her (Like I know the Paramore knock off song ) 

20 minutes ago, aj6658 said:
  • Elton John
  • Arctic monkeys
  • The Killers
  • Macca 
  • GnR
  • Billie Ellis 
  • Kendrick Lamar 
  • The Cure
  • Stormzy
  • Foo fighters 
  • Radiohead 
  • Ed Sheeran
  • Muse 
  • Adele
  • Coldplay
  • Arcade Fire 
  • Metallica 
  • Rolling Stones
  • The Who
  • Kayne West 

Wow that's shocking!

No wonder the "picnic blanket posse" are thriving

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aj6658 said:
  • Elton John
  • Arctic monkeys
  • The Killers
  • Macca 
  • GnR
  • Billie Ellis 
  • Kendrick Lamar 
  • The Cure
  • Stormzy
  • Foo fighters 
  • Radiohead 
  • Ed Sheeran
  • Muse 
  • Adele
  • Coldplay
  • Arcade Fire 
  • Metallica 
  • Rolling Stones
  • The Who
  • Kayne West 

I stand by she sticks out like a sore thumb vs the last dacade of headliners but I acknowledge that maybe im not her Demo or not my music so have lack of visibility of her (Like I know the Paramore knock off song ) 

You cant have a list with Billie Eilish and Stormzy and suggest she sticks out like a sore thumb...

Whether people like it or not she's absolutely massive. Far bigger then other rumoured acts like The 1975.

50 minutes ago, wghennessy said:

You cant have a list with Billie Eilish and Stormzy and suggest she sticks out like a sore thumb...

Whether people like it or not she's absolutely massive. Far bigger than other rumoured acts like The 1975.

Stromzy was cultural moment for Glastonbury.  First solo Black British artist to headline, first Grime artist  - lets not diminish that.

Billi Ellish is similar but far more experienced touring (5 tours vs 1 tour ) and was brought in the replace Taylor. Depending when Headliners are originally locked in an argument could be made last minute but that's speculation but regardless, has more experiencing touring. 

Like I said, sticks out like a sore thumb. Bad Bunny is massive - you asking for him to headline? More to it than just being big. Experience, impact, longevity (new kid on the block or been in the industry for years)  and vibe (not everyone is Glastonbury material). 

1 hour ago, wghennessy said:

Whether people like it or not she's absolutely massive. Far bigger then other rumoured acts like The 1975.

Billie in 2020*

This tour is definitely bigger than what several of these acts could do i think / have done. The Cure definitely on the smaller end too, last tour they did half as much as 4 o2 nights in london

Kendrick defo couldn't do this tour either

Just now, aj6658 said:

Stromzy was cultural moment for Glastonbury.  First solo Black British artist to headline, first Grime artist  - lets not diminish that.

Billi Ellish is similar but far more experienced touring (5 tours vs 1 tour ) and was brought in the replace Taylor. Depending when Headliners are originally locked in an argument could be made last minute but that's speculation but regardless, has more experiencing touring. 

Like I said, sticks out like a sore thumb. Bad Bunny is massive - you asking for him to headline? More to it than just being big. Experience, impact, longevity (new kid on the block or been in the industry for years)  and vibe (not everyone is Glastonbury material). 

Bad Bunny is completely different as he isn't massive in the UK. His songs don't even chart here etc

12 minutes ago, gfa said:

Billie in 2020*

This tour is definitely bigger than what several of these acts could do i think / have done. The Cure definitely on the smaller end too, last tour they did half as much as 4 o2 nights in london

Kendrick defo couldn't do this tour either

Bad Bunny is completely different as he isn't massive in the UK. His songs don't even chart here etc

Billie in 2022 when she Headlined. 2020 was Taylor. 

My point is you cant just go based on tour size or number of listeners e.c.t, ( They are key metrics but like I said, theres more to it)  

She's done one tour, two albums, her being there isn't a "1st" or cultural moment and has been in the industry 3 years (debut single Jan 2021). I just dont think you hand out headline spots to someone with that CV. Look at everyone else on that list in the last decade. They all earnt their stripes.

She's hugely popular but am I missing something? Is she truly special or just popular? Why do we feel like to have to just give Headline slot to someone. 

Edited by aj6658

34 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Billie in 2022 when she Headlined. 2020 was Taylor. 

My point is you cant just go based on tour size or number of listeners e.c.t, ( They are key metrics but like I said, theres more to it)  

She's done one tour, two albums, her being there isn't a "1st" or cultural moment and has been in the industry 3 years (debut single Jan 2021). I just dont think you hand out headline spots to someone with that CV. Look at everyone else on that list in the last decade. They all earnt their stripes.

She's hugely popular but am I missing something? Is she truly special or just popular? Why do we feel like to have to just give Headline slot to someone. 

Sorry my mistake on Billie

I'm not saying she should headline, she is hardly my first choice but if they are in a bind she is certainly a suitable size.

59 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

Would take some new headliner chances like Olivia Rodrigo over Alex Turner looking bored again, Coldplay playing their latest guff material or The Who going through the motions.

I think she is more likely to line up for a festival run in 2025.

I think giving it to someone new would be great. I think if O Rod did do it, she would be fair more enthusiastic than Alex Turner who looked like he was there to pick up a pay check.

When I look at that list of the last decade of Headliners, I dont know who would be their replacements in the current age. Who's the next big Rock band?  We get all these new young solo artists but great rock bands coming through and capturing massive audiences are slim pickings 

24 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

I think giving it to someone new would be great. I think if O Rod did do it, she would be fair more enthusiastic than Alex Turner who looked like he was there to pick up a pay check.

When I look at that list of the last decade of Headliners, I dont know who would be their replacements in the current age. Who's the next big Rock band?  We get all these new young solo artists but great rock bands coming through and capturing massive audiences are slim pickings 

There isn't one is the simple answer

Not currently anyway, theres a few man with guitar type acts but no proper bands

Music tastes are changing, there's not going to be another year with 3 indie/rock acts for a long time

1 hour ago, gfa said:

There isn't one is the simple answer

Not currently anyway, theres a few man with guitar type acts but no proper bands

Music tastes are changing, there's not going to be another year with 3 indie/rock acts for a long time

Foals will headline the Pyramid soon enough. If not next year. 

I went to one of their intimate gigs this year where they did a 2 shows a day with different set lists that changed over the few dates they did. To me it screamed of them working out a nice 2+ hour set for the Pyramid. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

I went to one of their intimate gigs this year where they did a 2 shows a day with different set lists that changed over the few dates they did. To me it screamed of them working out a nice 2+ hour set for the Pyramid. 

The 'Here We Go Again' Meme is Perfect For Every Frustrating Situation ...

18 minutes ago, Havors said:

You must know that it's not gonna happen.