Pukkelpop 2023

Archi

On 6/18/2023 at 12:30 AM, Semprini said:

Just having a little browse through the line up and it must be a glitch but you can see which stage some of the acts are playing. If you look at the profile of an act and then scroll to the bottom it has suggestions for others that are 'similar' (I use this term very loosely though!). The stage for those acts is listed!

I guess the big news is that the Backyard is back!

nice leak! However, I just checked this, but I cannot find the stages for the artists. How or where do you see them?

Long time no see here

There is a flash sale on Eurostar today 70 pounds for a return. 

I have broken my ankle with surgery last week so risked booking the train in hopes I will be off crutches by then. 

Does anyone know if the camping tickets are name specific like the combitickets? Just worried camping might sell out by he time I can make a decision.

Cheers

On 6/18/2023 at 1:33 AM, VCF said:

FRIDAY

Main Stage : Billie Eilish, Yungblud, Years and Years, Bazart, Froukje

Marquee : Moderat, Boygenius, M83, Nessa Barrett

Dance Hall : Aitch, Fatima Yamaha, Memoro by Joyhauser (live), Sor

Club : Ezra Collective, TV Girl

Backyard : Bob Vylan, You Me At Six, Zulu, 

SATURDAY

Main Stage : Angèle, Anne-Marie, Limp Bizkit, Turnstile, Tom Odell, Joost, Compact Disk Dummies.

Marquee : 2ManyDJs, Steve Lacy, Nothing But Thieves, Jessie Ware, Bombay Bicycle Club, Joji

Dance Hall : BICEP, Rema, Ben Bohmer, Gryffin, Prins s. en de Geit

Club : Amyl and the Sniffers, Dry Cleaning, MUNA, Osees, Wunderhorse, Peuk

SUNDAY

Main Stage : The Killers, Florence and the Machine, Macklemore, Zwangere Guy, Dropkick Murphys, XINK.

Marquee : Foals, Girl in Red, Mother Mother, Giant Rooks

Dance Hall : Loyle Carner, Lil Tjay, ADF Family

Club : The Amazons, Kids With Buns, Cordae, Bakar

A few ones!

Turnstile on the Main is a choice.

Am I right in thinking that there are no clashes at Pukkelpop or have I completely imagined that?

In less than eight weeks, Pukkelpop will open the doors of the festival grounds for what promises to be another interesting and fun edition. The last gaps in the programming are gradually being filled with fourteen new additions today. On Thursday, the classic opening day, Hindu Radio DJs and London Calling founder Olly Ameen make an appearance with the best indie sing-alongs. On Friday 18 August it will be up to the Antwerp garage rock  Black Leather Jacket to conquer the hearts of Pukkelpop, while  DJ St. Paul  Helena Lauwaert, Ilse Liebens & Nadiem Shah  and  Jan Vercauteren  can take a seat behind the decks. Booker is on Saturday 19 August Eppo Janssen  himself behind the turntable and invites a number of friends to help him choose records. Also new on Saturday is the American rock band  Pinkshift from Baltimore and the British DJ  SHERELLE , who recently played a pretty good set at CORE Festival. On the last day of the festival, the Kempen sons  Captain Kaiser will cause mischief, while traditionally StuBru veterans  Stijn Van de Voorde   Thibault Christiaensen  and  Michael Midnight will provide the last tunes, also Séathen signs present. No too big names this time, but more of an addition in width. There is also less new: Meet Me @ The Altar unfortunately has to fail.

It is still a bit too early for a timetable, but the organization is kind enough to share the stage layout. Find out who will be on which stage here . The stage layout also shows that the Castello is disappearing. Moreover, Pukkelpop has announced that Camping Chill is fully booked and that Camping Relax (at a new location closer to the festival site) is also almost at its maximum capacity.

• Thanks 1

Friday (around 13-14 names)

- 2 Main, 1 Marquee, 3 Dance Hall, 2 Boiler Room, 1-2 Club, 1-2 Backyard, 1-2 Lift, 1-2 Booth

Dance Hall closing act yet to be announced.

Saturday (around 7-8 names)

- 1-2 Marquee, 2 Dance Hall, 1-2 Backyard, 1 Booth/Lift?

Sunday (around 10-11 names).

- 1 Main, 2 Marquee, 2 Dance Hall, 1-2 Club/Boiler?, 1 Backyard, 1 Lift, 1 Booth

30ish acts missing then?

Who are likely from the Werchter line-up?

Edited by VCF
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

There is an interesting debate in Festileaks thread today.

It's hard to believe that a festival with a young audience target cannot sell out day tickets with Billie Eilish headlining. Also it happened with Imagine Dragons, Arctic Monkeys, Kendrick Lamar... etc. 

Pukkelpop used to sell out with Iron Maiden, Foo Fighters, Eminem... headlining. One day they decided to stop booking huge acts and look for new headliners mixed with medium size headliners as Editors or The XX. After that, everytime they have decided to book a big headliner (Rihanna, Billie...) they couldn't even sell out day tickets.

I cannot find a logical theory of what happened to Pukkelpop to step down in the last decade, but what is sure is that nowadays is a less attractive festival that it used to be 10 or 12 years ago? The 2011 storm? The financial problems after the storm? Stop booking huge bands as Metallica, Iron Maiden of Foo's? Making dissapear the shelter stage? Stop booking some medium size bands for older audience? I don't really know the answer, but Pukkelpop is part of my life and I wish the festival a huge success every year, but I don't really understand which direction do they want to take while festivals as Lokerse, Alcatraz, Brakrock, all in august in Belgium are getting bigger every year booking bands that Pukkelpop 12 years ago would't let them escape from their line-up.

Edited by johnybegood
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

There is an interesting debate in Festileaks thread today.

It's hard to believe that a festival with a young audience target cannot sell out day tickets with Billie Eilish headlining. Also it happened with Imagine Dragons, Arctic Monkeys, Kendrick Lamar... etc. 

Pukkelpop used to sell out with Iron Maiden, Foo Fighters, Eminem... headlining. One day they decided to stop booking huge acts and look for new headliners mixed with medium size headliners as Editors or The XX. After that, everytime they have decided to book a big headliner (Rihanna, Billie...) they couldn't even sell out day tickets.

I cannot find a logical theory of what happened to Pukkelpop to step down in the last decade, but what is sure is that nowadays is a less attractive festival that it used to be 10 or 12 years ago? The 2011 storm? The financial problems after the storm? Stop booking huge bands as Metallica, Iron Maiden of Foo's? Making dissapear the shelter stage? Stop booking some medium size bands for older audience? I don't really know the answer, but Pukkelpop is part of my life and I wish the festival a huge success every year, but I don't really understand which direction do they want to take while festivals as Lokerse, Alcatraz, Brakrock, all in august in Belgium are getting bigger every year booking bands that Pukkelpop 12 years ago would't let them escape from their line-up.

Yeah it's an odd one. Does seem to have sold well given camping has nearly sold out. The Friday has been tailored for BE fans so can only think that it's the oldies who are aren't buying tickets for it. Doesn't help that she's already played not that long ago, I've certainly no desire to go and watch her and I suspect most of the older crowd feel the same way. Pukkelpop needs to appeal to both the young and older festival goers to be succesful and I don't think they have this year. Single days have maybe but not really across the full weekend - there's hardly any buzz about the festival this year. It wouldn't bother me to miss the Friday at all but it's a long way to go fora a day and and halfs festival. 

• Upvote 1

Hm, personally don't need another European festival with dinosaurs like Iron Maiden etc, unfortunately can't go this year, but like that line up pretty much for diversity, this is rare, only major festival with pop, techno, metal mixed. 

And nowadays Killers is headliner for old audience 🙂 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, qz3 said:

Hm, personally don't need another European festival with dinosaurs like Iron Maiden etc, unfortunately can't go this year, but like that line up pretty much for diversity, this is rare, only major festival with pop, techno, metal mixed. 

🙂

I'd take Iron Maiden/The Cure/Blur/ Depeche Mode etc over a 90s Nu Metal act who should be playing in the afternoon, someone who has already played Core in Brussels this year and someone who wouldn't be at sub headliner level at 99% of other similar sized european festivals. 

Edit - I will add that Iron Maiden were a huge let down for me in 2010. I'd still take em over that lot. 

Edited by DDave
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Will Foals and Killers not clash? What is the usual overlap between headliners on each stage?

As Johnny has said, no clash between the main and the Marquee and a 2-5 minute walk between the two depending on where you are standing for the main. Really glad they've put King Giz in the Marquee rather than the club as I thought they might. Can't fault Sunday tbh. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Semprini said:

It's pretty solid all weekend for me so far. Saturday is the stand out but probably got more I want to see on Friday than Sunday.

If the theory about the missing Dance Hall headliner being someone who's at RW then that must put Fred again.. in the mix.

Yeah I thought that as well. Pukkelpop love a repeat booking. How is the dance side of it overall? Must admit this is the year I've known the least amount of names in the Boiler.