Download 2024

FeverDream

7 hours ago, northernangel said:

To put it a bit more blunt for you guys to understand. A string or stadium or stadium levels gigs rules them out of download! 

Download is not a stadium level gig? Dont know what’s the capacity of Download, but it’s not less than 60-70k. And that’s not a stadium level gig?

7 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Nickelback would be a sick download headliner and would pull a massive crowd. I think wider society is over pretending to be annoyed by them. Ronnie Radke exists for that reason now. 

I don’t think they’ll ever do it as the ‘damage’ is already done re: them being the brunt of the joke for like twenty years now, but yeah I think most people (myself included) can admit they’re not nearly as bad as we all like to pretend and in fact have some good songs (Never Again and Too Bad off the top of my head both bang).

But yeah, even now that they’re no longer public enemy #1 in the music world, them being announced would still be met with a whole load of stupid responses and they seem to be happy enough largely avoiding festivals and just doing (and selling out) their own shows.

8 hours ago, northernangel said:

To put it a bit more blunt for you guys to understand. A string or stadium or stadium levels gigs rules them out of download! 

Screenshot_20231020_233222_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231020_233231_Chrome.jpg

It's also a rumour from the Sun, unless Green Day come out and say "we're doing a stadium tour of the UK", they're still not impossible.

7 minutes ago, mikeh said:

It's also a rumour from the Sun, unless Green Day come out and say "we're doing a stadium tour of the UK", they're still not impossible.

I mean for a lot of people Rammstein saying "We're doing Stadiums, just stadiums and nothing but stadiums including a stadium on the saturday of Download" didn't mean they wern't doing Download so don't count on people stopping predicting them until they're not on the poster (and even then they'll probably think they're doing a Foxboro Hotubs secret show). 

27 minutes ago, OKMess said:

I mean for a lot of people Rammstein saying "We're doing Stadiums, just stadiums and nothing but stadiums including a stadium on the saturday of Download" didn't mean they wern't doing Download so don't count on people stopping predicting them until they're not on the poster (and even then they'll probably think they're doing a Foxboro Hotubs secret show). 

Difference is Green Day haven't announced any UK or EU dates yet and the American tour will be in August not June. 

Edited by Marka23

2 hours ago, SweetJesus said:

Download is not a stadium level gig? Dont know what’s the capacity of Download, but it’s not less than 60-70k. And that’s not a stadium level gig?

Of all people lol. They say a strong of stadium level as well as a stadium tour of the UK. They aren't doing multiple UK download festivals are they?, and Download will never book an act doing stadium shows. Even the biggest one of all had to not to stadium shows and get booked twice to avoid them.

@mikeh I'm leaving this conversation point after this as it is now pointless. Yes the sun....probably one of the papers that gets most of the industry news out of any of them.

6 minutes ago, Marka23 said:

Difference is Green Day haven't announced any UK or EU dates yet and the American tour will be in August not June. 

I think you're missing the point here pal, I'm not saying that Green Day are or arn't playing, I'm saying people won't believe they're not playing regardless. 

2 hours ago, SweetJesus said:

So wiki has it has 111000. I know this year it was reported as 'over 130000 people attending' but there was some confusion about whether that meant daily or over the 4 days. My guess is that it was 90000 campers + staff, then 10000 day tickets per day. Anyone know for sure? 

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yup, yet another way for these huge corporations to f**k the fans. Same as it ever was. 

Yeah it really is. I'm fortunate be close to Bristol so most gigs I go to these days are the academy and below size bands...used to go to a lot more 'big gigs' in other cities over night but not those are few and far between, it's just too expensive. 

40 minutes ago, northernangel said:

You have nothing at all to back that up. They can easily do stadiums in 24 and then a festival here in 25. Europe is not so easily done. Anyway leaving this now.

Smashing Pumpkins have a UK tour in June and as they're the support act that means Green Day's stadium tour will be in August with UK/Europe being in June/July given they've been leaked for Nova Rock, a festival they've played in the past. 

• Thanks 1

Surely Pumpkins won’t be supporting Green Day if they’ve got their own big shows to sell? The moment those Green Day shows are announced the Pumpkins own shows would suffer sales-wise, and looks like they’re already struggling with half the venues. Think it’ll be a different lineup when Green Day come here. 

12 minutes ago, Marka23 said:

Smashing Pumpkins have a UK tour in June and as they're the support act that means Green Day's stadium tour will be in August with UK/Europe being in June/July given they've been leaked for Nova Rock, a festival they've played in the past. 

Nova Rock leak 🤔 I think it was just a prediction, no leak

Edited by SweetJesus

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

Download will never book an act doing stadium shows. 

I don’t really understand why Download stick to this logic. Bands like Foo Fighters, Green Day, RHCP, Pearl Jam, etc. could easily do a stadium show in London/South, Scotland/north & Download without it affecting ticket sales too much. It’s probably the reason why Download continues to miss out on those acts. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, SweetJesus said:

Nova Rock leak 🤔 I think it was just a prediction, no leak

Nova Rock wouldn't mean they are just doing UK festivals anyway. As we know, there is more variety of places to play in Europe so bands can't change as much and are easier to book for festivals.

25 minutes ago, SweetJesus said:

I’m listening right now FOB and asking myself, how can they headline festival like Download? This is a joke. 

They aren't a fit for download at all now imo but they might have run out of options with big pullout.

3 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I don’t really understand why Download stick to this logic. Bands like Foo Fighters, Green Day, RHCP, Pearl Jam, etc. could easily do a stadium show in London/South, Scotland/north & Download without it affecting ticket sales too much. It’s probably the reason why Download continues to miss out on those acts. 

Because Download isn't a festival that sells out, let's lone regularly so they've got to put thousands and thousands of tickets on sale for stadium shows and then still sell tickets for that band at a festival with predominantly booked metal bands. The difference with RAR and such like is they actually booked a more varied Rock lineup.

Andy is still too scared that if he misses out on a Maiden on their festival run and someone like Sonisphere get them that it'll be an issue again.

8 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

If you look at Germany they have bands doing multiple festivals and then there own shows. And their scene is in much better health than ours. So yeah agreed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Because Download isn't a festival that sells out, let's lone regularly so they've got to put thousands and thousands of tickets on sale for stadium shows and then still sell tickets for that band at a festival with predominantly booked metal bands. The difference with RAR and such like is they actually booked a more varied Rock lineup.

Andy is still too scared that if he misses out on a Maiden on their festival run and someone like Sonisphere get them that it'll be an issue again.

Download doesn’t need to sell out to turn a profit though its capacity is huge. Sonisphere hasn’t existed in years, so I don’t buy that logic.

They stick to this rigid rule of headliners not having other shows in the UK and it’s ridiculous. They could be more flexible with it & the festival would be all the better for it (in terms of line up & tickets shifted).