Download 2024

FeverDream

Few issues with that leaked poster is as I said above it states Pantera first UK show in 20 years when it would be 23 years (I think) and Lonely The Brave have hinted they are being announced whilst they ain’t on the poster, and some of the order of the bands names are wrong, I think the poster last year that got leaked looked more legit as it had draft all over it and wasn’t as clear as this one now, guess we’ll see soon enough anyway.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Nice to Michu said:

Few issues with that leaked poster is as I said above it states Pantera first UK show in 20 years when it would be 23 years (I think) and Lonely The Brave have hinted they are being announced whilst they ain’t on the poster, and some of the order of the bands names are wrong, I think the poster last year that got leaked looked more legit as it had draft all over it and wasn’t as clear as this one now, guess we’ll see soon enough anyway.

This is the kind of content I come to the forums for! There's still a tiny irrepressible bit of me trying to persuade myself it's all an aggressive disinformation campaign by Download, leaking a fake poster to mess with us after what happened last year... And yes I know I know, the leak's definitely legit, I'm setting myself up for more disappointment even by wondering etc. I just can't help it!

P.S. add this to the grasping at straws list - is it winding anyone else up that Fall Out Boy doesn't look like it's lined up in the middle properly?! No? Just me in the OCD wishful thinking gang!?🤣 Haven't had the ruler out like. Honest.

Edited by Heyzoos

Bit of a pants (rumoured) lineup in all honesty. Pantera is probably the only band of note, and I bet they will end up doing their own show at the forum or something 

I love going to download but it's impossible to get friends to come when half the big name bands that play have played the UK multiple times in the last 3 or 4 years.

It feels to be that download targets people who go to 1 festival a year, no indoor gigs and that's that. But in reality a metal/rock head will go to loads of gigs in a year and probably see their favourite bands when they come around. For example fallout boy just done a massive tour, no chance anyone who actually wanted to see them realistically missed that. Same for QOTSA. 

Hard to justify when the 3 or 4 bands you want to see end up being spread over the weekend almost on purpose so a day ticket isnt viable either

It's so frustrating. They've got the funds from a sell out last hears, loads of great bands are touring next year but somehow still mess it up

3 minutes ago, skillfulperson said:

Bit of a pants (rumoured) lineup in all honesty. Pantera is probably the only band of note, and I bet they will end up doing their own show at the forum or something 

I love going to download but it's impossible to get friends to come when half the big name bands that play have played the UK multiple times in the last 3 or 4 years.

It feels to be that download targets people who go to 1 festival a year, no indoor gigs and that's that. But in reality a metal/rock head will go to loads of gigs in a year and probably see their favourite bands when they come around. For example fallout boy just done a massive tour, no chance anyone who actually wanted to see them realistically missed that. Same for QOTSA. 

Hard to justify when the 3 or 4 bands you want to see end up being spread over the weekend almost on purpose so a day ticket isnt viable either

It's so frustrating. They've got the funds from a sell out last hears, loads of great bands are touring next year but somehow still mess it up

They just need to scrap the if you got a tour booked you can’t headline rule, it’s sh*t and it’s why we haven’t seen the likes of Foos, Green Day, Blink, RHCP at Download.

That poster is legit, I’m sure of it. Who the hell would go out their way to put some of those undercard logo bands on it. A couple of real random ones.
Such a missed opportunity considering who else is on in Europe around the same time. Trying to appease a minority with the undercard because the headliners aren’t what DL is used to. I’m all for the change in direction for headliners and totally here for it, but overwall it’s incredibly underwhelming and cannot see this going down well at all. 

1 minute ago, Nice to Michu said:

They just need to scrap the if you got a tour booked you can’t headline rule, it’s sh*t and it’s why we haven’t seen the likes of Foos, Green Day, Blink, RHCP at Download.

In all honesty I think that's an excuse made up by fans. Plenty of bands have done their own shows in the winter before or after headlining download. When further dilutes why you would even want to go download if you can get tickets to a bands own show (almost always better than a festival show)

I personally think they don't offer these high calibre bands enough money for them to not play their own shows, but festivals like BST and IOW do

14 minutes ago, skillfulperson said:

Seeing a band headline a festival is different to a tour, I for one personally prefer the festival environment, I’ll have seen Qosta 3 times by the end of the year and will still get a ticket for the day to see them headline download.

Edited by Xeph1995

5 minutes ago, Heyzoos said:

Agree with all the above. Think it will come down to second stage headliners for me. I've got earlybird but will likely sell that. Might go for a day depending on the splits but at the moment I think that's unlikely.

They won't clash them with main headliners and based off this year it's like a 70 min set max. Can go see bands at their own shows do at least 90 mins (or co-headline with 70 mins each). So yeah I'm out. Hopefully Machine Head do their own shows. The Offspring I'm not really a big enough fan to travel for so hopefully they come back in a couple years. Though if they co-headlined with another band I like I'd consider it. Other than that Karnivool shame to miss out but we're incredible earlier this year on their own tour and other bands like Pest Control and Urne playing regularly in UK atm so I'll see them at some point. 

7 minutes ago, skillfulperson said:

In all honesty I think that's an excuse made up by fans. Plenty of bands have done their own shows in the winter before or after headlining download. When further dilutes why you would even want to go download if you can get tickets to a bands own show (almost always better than a festival show)

I personally think they don't offer these high calibre bands enough money for them to not play their own shows, but festivals like BST and IOW do

I think it means around the same time as download, the likes of foo's, green day are doing big stadium shows the same month and therefore less likely to be booked cause of that

6 minutes ago, Mcbatesman said:

I think it means around the same time as download, the likes of foo's, green day are doing big stadium shows the same month and therefore less likely to be booked cause of that

Aye. Download should have booked Green Day and Foo Fighters and let them do their own shows too. I mean we don't know what happens behind the scenes but it should of at least been proposed to those bands. 

5 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Aye. Download should have booked Green Day and Foo Fighters and let them do their own shows too. I mean we don't know what happens behind the scenes but it should have at least been proposed to those bands. 

And Download would have still probably sold out even with them having their own tours booked.

Just now, Nice to Michu said:

And Download would have still probably sold out even with them having their own tours booked.

This. A big enough band with a strong enough undercard can sell out any festival 

Pearl jam, chillis, Springsteen, ACDC, Foos, RATM, Rammstein, Metallica, GNR and green day could do it with their eyes closed

Even bands that don't play the UK often but aren't as big like Tool, Paramore, Blink, System could get a big chunk of sales, but download opts for bands that come to the UK every year and play their own arena shows in anyway, kiss, Def lep, maiden, biffy, Bring me, and Shikari. It's bizarre. 

4 minutes ago, skillfulperson said:

This. A big enough band with a strong enough undercard can sell out any festival 

Pearl jam, chillis, Springsteen, ACDC, Foos, RATM, Rammstein, Metallica, GNR and green day could do it with their eyes closed

Even bands that don't play the UK often but aren't as big like Tool, Paramore, Blink, System could get a big chunk of sales, but download opts for bands that come to the UK every year and play their own arena shows in anyway, kiss, Def lep, maiden, biffy, Bring me, and Shikari. It's bizarre. 

Funny you mention Shikari, they are still yet to be given a main stage slot at Download. 

2 minutes ago, Nice to Michu said:

See you this time next year Yeasty with the 2025 headliners.

I'll tell you right now before they're even booked that it's 25 years of Iron Maiden.

The old guard will collectively fall to their knees - which is a bad idea, because it's hard for them to get back up - and proclaim that Download is back, it's saved, thank god, and that 2 hour set will be all they needed to buy a weekend ticket to see the boys for the 5th time. 

That sounded less mean in my head. Really do think it'll be Maiden and happy for anyone that goes. 

36 minutes ago, Nice to Michu said:

Aye.

36 minutes ago, Judas Yeast said:

Told ya 😎

Kudos. 

28 minutes ago, skillfulperson said:

Aye. 

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

I'll tell you right now before they're even booked that it's 25 years of Iron Maiden.

The old guard will collectively fall to their knees - which is a bad idea, because it's hard for them to get back up - and proclaim that Download is back, it's saved, thank god, and that 2 hour set will be all they needed to buy a weekend ticket to see the boys for the 5th time. 

That sounded less mean in my head. Really do think it'll be Maiden and happy for anyone that goes. 

Was a bit mean 😉

There is an increasing generational divide at Download though but not in the way I think a lot of people make it out.

What I see is a move from Download, even this year (2023 fest) towards appealing to the modern metalcore fans (this encompasses Screamo and Post-hardcore). I Prevail, Architects, BMTH, Parkway Drive, Alexisonfire etc. And whilst there's nothing wrong with those bands being in the mix, they are a certain type of sound that is far more polished than alot of other metal and rock bands. And when they are taking up a lot of the bigger slots, it does feel like that other types of music are starting to be pushed aside a bit. I get it, because it happened with nu-metal in the late 90s of course. So it's not a complaint, more a caution that Download needs to better promote bands from different styles into higher slots if they wanna maintain the wide base they have atm. 

This isn't a Download exclusive problem of course. Metal club nights have been doing it up and down the country and it's petty divisive, draws in a newer crowd but pushes out the older one.