Download 2024

FeverDream

28 minutes ago, Nice to Michu said:

Because it was a package hella mega tour that was delayed because of Covid in stadiums, they won’t be subbing a UK festival again imo.

We did also have Parkway Drive and Ghost this year, two bands that could easily headline main stage and have already done so at festivals of a similar size to Download 

51 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

AX7 / Sabaton / Spiritbox 

Green Day / FOB / Weezer 

RATM / QOTSA / Gojira

With Opus being:

Rob Zombie / Babymetal

Machine Head / In Flames

Enter Shikari / Sleep Token

Clash on Fri/Sat, no clash on Sun. That would sell well. 

That Friday looks like it's from a different lesser festival than Saturday and Sunday.

Probably copium but something like this and what @Judas Yeast said might be true. Presuming whomever he got his info from saw a draft of a poster or something and the first announcement is A7X, FoB and QOTSA + some others (Judas said he's aware of one other band) then a week or month or something later they announce Green Day + some others and then a week or month later they announce RATM + some others. 

20 minutes ago, OKMess said:

That Friday looks like it's from a different lesser festival than Saturday and Sunday.

Probably copium but something like this and what @Judas Yeast said might be true. Presuming whomever he got his info from saw a draft of a poster or something and the first announcement is A7X, FoB and QOTSA + some others (Judas said he's aware of one other band) then a week or month or something later they announce Green Day + some others and then a week or month later they announce RATM + some others. 

I can see them announcing the headliners + a few acts from across the weekend over multiple days. 

First announcement could be Avenged Sevenfold with Fall Out Boy and Queens of the Stone Age being logo acts elsewhere across the weekend either subbing main or headlining 2nd stage.

1 minute ago, justanothername said:

How the hell have some of you convinced yourself it might be RATM? 

Matter of elimination. Apparently neither Fall Out Boy or Queens of Stone Age are headlining, System of A Down apparently won't be in Europe next year and My Chemical Romance apparently aren't playing either.

Muse are also apparently taking a break after their current tour and as apparently none of the headliners are classic rock and it's a returning headliner that really only leaves Rage Against The Machine as an option for the final headliner. 

9 minutes ago, Marka23 said:

First announcement could be Avenged Sevenfold with Fall Out Boy and Queens of the Stone Age being logo acts elsewhere across the weekend either subbing main or headlining 2nd stage.

Fall Out Boy have headlined Reading/Leeds previously & sold 100k+ tickets on their latest tour, they’re not headlining the second stage or subbing. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Fall Out Boy have headlined Reading/Leeds previously & sold 100k+ tickets on their latest tour, they’re not headlining the second stage or subbing. 

The fact they supported Green Day last year despite previously headlining Reading says otherwise.

Plus they've already supported Green Day at festivals recently 

Edited by Marka23

14 minutes ago, Marka23 said:

Matter of elimination. Apparently neither Fall Out Boy or Queens of Stone Age are headlining, System of A Down apparently won't be in Europe next year and My Chemical Romance apparently aren't playing either.

Muse are also apparently taking a break after their current tour and as apparently none of the headliners are classic rock and it's a returning headliner that really only leaves Rage Against The Machine as an option for the final headliner. 

According to "some guy" on reddit. There is no basis for RATM playing at all. 

1 minute ago, Marka23 said:

The fact they supported Green Day last year despite previously headlining Reading says otherwise 

They literally meet the requirements for headlining? Their current arena tour has sold as well and even better than a lot of current download headliners?

6 minutes ago, Marka23 said:

The fact they supported Green Day last year despite previously headlining Reading says otherwise.

The last time they played Download they subbed. They have not gotten any smaller. Headline or nothing. 

10 minutes ago, Marka23 said:

They ‘supported’ on a huge worldwide stadium package tour. If Biffy did that with Pearl Jam or Avenged did that with Metallica would they suddenly stop being suitable Download headliners? No. 

Also if we want to play that game, System subbed Green Day at Reading, then came back and headlined again at Download. 

The delusion is strong in this thread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OKMess said:

Hmmm I mean AX7 aren't strong in my opinion but Rob Zombie would be a excellent Opus headliner and Sabaton an excellent sub (I'm not a huge Sabaton fan or anything but heard a lot of good things about their stage show). 

Anyway I think this year we really are all clueless and everything should be taken with a pinch of salt. Like I said earlier in the thread I know rumours can get started by people taking journalist guesses as gospel. I spotted an example on Reddit recently with someone saying they are guessing QOTSA because they have a couple people 'in the industry' they ask and that name has come up. Well I bet that they are asking journalists (or members of bands)...I mean if you are into this music you end up in the same pubs etc as journalists anyway (as they are fans too) so yeah of course rumours come from that. 

11 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Hmmm I mean AX7 aren't strong in my opinion but Rob Zombie would be a excellent Opus headliner and Sabaton an excellent sub (I'm not a huge Sabaton fan or anything but heard a lot of good things about their stage show). 

Anyway I think this year we really are all clueless and everything should be taken with a pinch of salt. Like I said earlier in the thread I know rumours can get started by people taking journalist guesses as gospel. I spotted an example on Reddit recently with someone saying they are guessing QOTSA because they have a couple people 'in the industry' they ask and that name has come up. Well I bet that they are asking journalists (or members of bands)...I mean if you are into this music you end up in the same pubs etc as journalists anyway (as they are fans too) so yeah of course rumours come from that. 

Of the 3 Avenged are probably the strongest but in terms of Download headliners as a whole they're probably still one of the weaker ones. 

Probably not a band people would rush to buy a ticket for Download for if they're announced. 

Avenged Sevenfold are not a weak headliner by any measurable metric. Arena selling band for a decade now and have headlined Download twice. It’s insane to call them weak. Again, people are confusing their own personal taste for a band with how big they actually are. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Avenged Sevenfold are not a weak headliner by any measurable metric. Arena selling band for a decade now and have headlined Download twice. It’s insane to call them weak. Again, people are confusing their own personal taste for a band with how big they actually are. 

They're fine as a headliner but they're one of the smaller ones. 

Of the bands that have headlined I would say only Audioslave in '03, Feeder in '05, Lostprophets and The Offspring in '08 and maybe The Prodigy in '12 were smaller bookings than Avenged are right now. 

If it's QOTSA too though they'll be added to that list. Fall Out Boy, maybe but probably not. 

14 minutes ago, OKMess said:

They're fine as a headliner but they're one of the smaller ones. 

Of the bands that have headlined I would say only Audioslave in '03, Feeder in '05, Lostprophets and The Offspring in '08 and maybe The Prodigy in '12 were smaller bookings than Avenged are right now. 

If it's QOTSA too though they'll be added to that list. Fall Out Boy, maybe but probably not. 

They’re literally the biggest metal band post-Slipknot.

Feel like A7X’s extended gap between albums and then the album being pretty uncommercial has taken them down a couple of notches size-wise. Obviously still a big band in the metal scene, especially when there isn’t much competition these days, but not quite the juggernaut they were a decade ago. 

23 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Feel like A7X’s extended gap between albums and then the album being pretty uncommercial has taken them down a couple of notches size-wise. Obviously still a big band in the metal scene, especially when there isn’t much competition these days, but not quite the juggernaut they were a decade ago. 

Agreed plus the last time they toured the UK they did so with Disturbed and In Flames supporting so that would have significantly bumped up their ticket sales. I'd also say in the rest of Europe Sabaton and Gojira have overtaken them in size. 

Edited by Spiral_Low