2024 Festival

Chad888

5 hours ago, sacred shape said:

I know you said wish list, but just to note that the Wonder Years said that Slam Dunk were their only UK shows this year when I saw them last November

Yup, loads on the list are already committed elsewhere/ not even touring

22 minutes ago, LazyDavid said:

Looks right to me judging by the poster, would be a good add

image.thumb.jpeg.f9eef58f45ee546ef35ca94623687762.jpeg

You’d assume from that that he’s nailed on, unless Victorious are taking a turn in their booking strategy!

21 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

TANGK has disappeared off the face of the earth, hasn’t it?

No idea, they have a lot of big shows this year, given how good it is, I assume it has a decent chance of doing well

On 3/14/2024 at 12:55 PM, Benj said:

No idea, they have a lot of big shows this year, given how good it is, I assume it has a decent chance of doing well

Rumour is idles were a last minute booking as sza got bumped from other head to pyramid 

SeeYouSpaceCowboy are over at the very end of August to play Burn It Down Festival in Torquay. I can’t imagine they’d come all the way here for one show so I wouldn’t be surprised to see them play the FR tent and be our token heavy as f**k band with a bit of buzz about them. 

1 hour ago, nathanh said:

Festivals truly looking dire this year

In an age where even medium range artists can charge 50-60 quid for a show and sell out, is the festival outlook as a whole looking dire long term, line up wise?

It certainly seems there is going to be little chance of seeing an artist at a festival until they're on the last legs of their touring cycle, a la Eilish, Fender, Killers...

It's no surprise Fred Again and Del Rey have sold so much better than Blink and Gallagher...

While once festivals were many artists' big pay days, they're now an after thought, there to soak up the last remnants of demand. That, along with the HUGE competition on the UK scene at least, means (outside of Glastonbury obv) that I think our expectations have to shift massively.

It puts experience at a premium over the line up really. There's no surprise the likes of Boomtown, Boardmasters and smaller festivals have taken a lot of Reading's custom.  Reading's USP was a stellar, varied lineup that offered choice for all throughout the day. 

If they can't produce that anymore they need to be thinking more about experiences, Tubourg Towns, Sommersby Towers etc (and actual non generic brand stuff!)... offering cheap alternatives that actually provide people with choice outside of the core lineup.

A half arsed lineup, nothing else to do outside of the music AND a sh*tty camping experience, does not a good festival make.

1 hour ago, Benj said:

In an age where even medium range artists can charge 50-60 quid for a show and sell out, is the festival outlook as a whole looking dire long term, line up wise?

It certainly seems there is going to be little chance of seeing an artist at a festival until they're on the last legs of their touring cycle, a la Eilish, Fender, Killers...

It's no surprise Fred Again and Del Rey have sold so much better than Blink and Gallagher...

While once festivals were many artists' big pay days, they're now an after thought, there to soak up the last remnants of demand. That, along with the HUGE competition on the UK scene at least, means (outside of Glastonbury obv) that I think our expectations have to shift massively.

It puts experience at a premium over the line up really. There's no surprise the likes of Boomtown, Boardmasters and smaller festivals have taken a lot of Reading's custom.  Reading's USP was a stellar, varied lineup that offered choice for all throughout the day. 

If they can't produce that anymore they need to be thinking more about experiences, Tubourg Towns, Sommersby Towers etc (and actual non generic brand stuff!)... offering cheap alternatives that actually provide people with choice outside of the core lineup.

A half arsed lineup, nothing else to do outside of the music AND a sh*tty camping experience, does not a good festival make.

r.e. Fred and Lana - they have been hard to see full stop. Its not that they are really starting their tour - both did large shows last year

Fred has been hard to get tickets for his own shows since breaking through and Lana did one London show in probably the last 5 years that sold out in an hour or two (and both did glasto but thats not really a general sale event)

3 hours ago, nathanh said:

IMG_7694.thumb.jpeg.5d54b2e9ea2805448df05faa4178846c.jpeg

Festivals truly looking dire this year

Very british headliners which look poor on mainland Europe

1 hour ago, gfa said:

r.e. Fred and Lana - they have been hard to see full stop. Its not that they are really starting their tour - both did large shows last year

That’s what I meant. Del Rey 2 Uk shows in 5 odd years (one being Glastonbury)

Fred Again one show outside of London (bar Glastonbury) and none down south…

Acts that aren’t hoovering up the dregs of demand

Meanwhile

Even Catfish’s grand comeback is only 3 years since they last played the very same festival 🤣

Gallagher has not stopped touring since he played in 2019 or whenever it was (and has headlined the same damn festival in the meantime

Blink big dates across the country last year  …

Cinnamon, been a couple of years since biggish dates in England but meh, no one really gives much of a toss really

Its no surprise really no other day has seen even the 2nd tier of pricing hit yet

Edited by Benj

4 hours ago, nathanh said:

Interesting... seems like they have reduced the number of weekend tickets as they have just put up more Saturday day tickets at the tier 4 price of £195

Beginning to get terrible sales vibes again, unless these are just returns due to card failure etc…

Would be a desperate move otherwise, esp given how far out it still is

6 minutes ago, Benj said:

Beginning to get terrible sales vibes again, unless these are just returns due to card failure etc…

Would be a desperate move otherwise, esp given how far out it still is

Yeah it does kinda feel like it is signs of them being unsure of weekend sales and capitalising on the one successful day. OR we could be optimistic and say they are announcing someone big joining that day and want day tickets for that (although why you would do that for your sold out day and not try and sell another day out who knows)