2024 Festival

Chad888

33 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

It's more blink and the prodigy are both on the heavier and older end of this lineup so it's not unreasonable that people would be big fans of both. Though this year there's a case to be made for a crossover with all three headliners. I would however argue that blink and the prodigy are most likely to share a bigger proportion than the others though. 

Traditionally they’d have had VERY different fan bases. 

20+ years on when nostalgia is probably the biggest selling point for both acts maybe less so.

When Blink last played and in 2010, there were huge amounts of people who were not into them at all and would have been very happy with a Prodigy alternative. I suspect there’s still a lot of the ‘older crowd’, Gallagher fans etc, who think Blink are sh*t and will be very happy with the Prodigy Alternative to end their night

I’d like to see both but appreciate the fact that they’re giving choice to their audience again once more.

The reality otherwise and last year would simply have been no Prodigy on the bill at all

Edited by Benj

15 hours ago, Benj said:

20+ years on when nostalgia is probably the biggest selling point for both acts maybe less so.

This is exactly it. 

In 30-years when BMTH is headlining and Post Malone is on the Chevron Stage, I think we will be a little bemused to hear kids of the time moaning that they are clashing because they are completely different genres to us now, but in 2050 they will be old school nostalgia acts, just as a lot of the fans of Greenday, Blink, RATM etc also listen to old school Eminem, Jay Z in the same playlist.

And it seems wild to me now, our current music to 2050 is the same timeframe as what Blink is to us now.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Benj said:

When Blink last played and in 2010, there were huge amounts of people who were not into them at all and would have been very happy with a Prodigy alternative. I suspect there’s still a lot of the ‘older crowd’, Gallagher fans etc, who think Blink are sh*t and will be very happy with the Prodigy Alternative to end their night

I’d like to see both but appreciate the fact that they’re giving choice to their audience again once more.

The reality otherwise and last year would simply have been no Prodigy on the bill at all

Yeah I'm in the same boat area. I got into The Prodigy much later but them two clashing would be mad. I will say however, seeing them at Reading doesn't have the same feel to what seeing them on the Other stage would have. I feel that is a few years away yet though if at all.

It would also help if we had some idea of stage format and clash arrangement. I can only see them both clashing.

Edited by northernangel

22 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Yeah I'm in the same boat area. I got into The Prodigy much later but them two clashing would be mad. I will say however, seeing them at Reading doesn't have the same feel to what seeing them on the Other stage would have. I feel that is a few years away yet though if at all.

It would also help if we had some idea of stage format and clash arrangement. I can only see them both clashing.

They’ll deffo be clashing. They’re not wasting the dark closing the Chevron early

They’re obviously trying to add and create a serious dance reputation for the festival. 

Having bona fide big dance headliners is part of that. Having dance fans have to end their night at Blink or Jorja Smith is not

18 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Well that was short lived, the group camping upgrade has been u turned after criticism.

There's so many simpler better ways they can earn some extra cash if they want, targeting the demograpics with actual cash to spend, as opposed to thinking kids will spunk up 50 quid for a little more space than they already expect.

My group would be more than happy to pay extra for expedited off site entry into the arena that didn't involve a 20 mins plus walk to the arena after getting to Richfield Avenue.

Basically guest /accessible entry down O'Mally alley without the actual guest facilities. 25gbp/ day or 60gbp/ weekend.

Easy 60k extra a day for what would likely just be an extra couple of security people, checking access to the FR/ 1 Xtra back stages....

Make 'The Lounge' actually decent. Put it somewhere with mainstage viewing access (doesn't need to be close (maybe replace the Bacardi House or whatever) and a lot of seating and boomers will pile in, just for a sit down!

1 hour ago, Benj said:

They’ll deffo be clashing. They’re not wasting the dark closing the Chevron early

They’re obviously trying to add and create a serious dance reputation for the festival. 

Having bona fide big dance headliners is part of that. Having dance fans have to end their night at Blink or Jorja Smith is not

Indeed. I would probably see Blink but it's not the easiest of choices. If I can grab a cheap ticket I'll go.

32 minutes ago, Benj said:

My group would be more than happy to pay extra for expedited off site entry into the arena that didn't involve a 20 mins plus walk to the arena after getting to Richfield Avenue.

Basically guest /accessible entry down O'Mally alley without the actual guest facilities. 25gbp/ day or 60gbp/ weekend.

Easy 60k extra a day for what would likely just be an extra couple of security people, checking access to the FR/ 1 Xtra back stages....

But you would still need to walk round to the arena entrance?
As you can't walk down the internal production road

Edited by Paul ™

7 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

But you would still need to walk round to the arena entrance?
As you can't walk down the internal production road

Thats where the extra security may be needed, to provide an extra gate to only allow production down the road to the 1xtra and FR...

You'd enter like accessible people do now...

It would be easy to cost out with the premium from entry

If you did still have to walk around to the entrance it would be another easy option to enhance 'The lounge'. You coul just have another lane outside of the production road/ cow lane to allowed people to walk through to the lounge...

This would save a good 20-30 mins for those arriving by taxi entry, without having to do the trek through the campsite and arena queue entry

Edited by Benj

I get what you're saying and yes it would raise extra money. 

Problem is that Mike Gate is for accessible needs customers, most guests go up cow lane and enter the arena via Cow Lane Guest entrance.

The more people you're pushing into Mike Gate, the less accessible it becomes and also a potential security risk opening the gate more.

Can't really put another lane for the Lounge as there is a burn between green and the production road.

Also wouldn't work on the other side of the burn as you are also eating into the Camping Plus space, and that area floods bad on a wet year as it is.

But I get what you're saying about the walk from town into the arena.

Edited by Paul ™
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Benj said:

Don't want to lose young people to Creamfields with it into a giant indoor hangar pecked with screens and lights, which looks pretty sick.

I wouldn't surprised to see Chevron booking acts like J-Hus, Central Cee, Ice Spice, Doja Cat, 21 Savage, Megan, D-Block, Little Simz, etc. to headline at least one evening of it most years too.

21 Savage isn't listed on any stage yet and I fully expect him to be announced as the headliner of it against LG a little further down the line (like after Wireless).

13 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

A bit surprised by that, they haven’t got a long history of being worried about what’s being said on social media.

I imagine they got so little interest in it that it just wasn’t worth going ahead with.

Would say I’m surprised they even attempted it, but if anything I’m surprised they haven’t attempted it earlier. 

5 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

I imagine they got so little interest in it that it just wasn’t worth going ahead with.

Would say I’m surprised they even attempted it, but if anything I’m surprised they haven’t attempted it earlier. 

They didn’t give it time to have any interest. It was reversed in under 24 hours.

They quickly responded to the avalanche of grief unloaded upon them on social media to be fair.

9 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

there wasn't even anything about refunds on the cancellation post

Upgraded camping with posh loos on top + give people a pitching area close to arena would actually have worked

15 minutes ago, gfa said:

Upgraded camping with posh loos on top + give people a pitching area close to arena would actually have worked

Are you thinking basically something that takes the closeness of the arena and posh loos/showers of RIP Camping at Download without all the additional extras, but at the price of Camping Plus, which is what £120?

21 minutes ago, gfa said:

Did they ever even get as far as providing a platform to purchase it?

Seemed very much like just a fishing for response thing?

I suspect it was more just for research for perhaps providing wider levels of camping tiers…

Can see them charging for each site soon. There’s obviously a high premium for camping closer, potentially worth much more than what they get through the early entry fee, which has basically become something you have to get now if you don’t want to be in the arse end of brown/ White

2 minutes ago, Benj said:

Did they ever even get as far as providing a platform to purchase it?

Yeah, it was on TM. They made it available for DL under the radar as well and removed just after they removed it for R+L. DL never posted about it or put it on their website so you would only know about it if you searched for the fest on TM. The link is still on TM for DL, but it just says tickets unavailable if you click on it now.

2 minutes ago, RedJosh said:

Yeah, it was on TM. They made it available for DL under the radar as well and removed just after they removed it for R+L. DL never posted about it or put it on their website so you would only know about it if you searched for the fest on TM. The link is still on TM for DL, but it just says tickets unavailable if you click on it now.

I wonder how many they sold? 🤣

I remember they did the VIP thing 3-4 years back that was quickly binned too, there wasn’t a huge SM backlash but there was clearly no demand to make it worthwhile

27 minutes ago, RedJosh said:

Are you thinking basically something that takes the closeness of the arena and posh loos/showers of RIP Camping at Download without all the additional extras, but at the price of Camping Plus, which is what £120?

Yeah i guess

literally every fest other than R&L and Glasto do this at this point, its very much standard practice in the industry

On 2/29/2024 at 4:54 PM, nathanh said:

Not expecting it yet but just thought I'd open it up for conversation, when do you think we can expect the next poster?

Few who I'm hoping for now I'm going. Wish-list rather than necessarily available/ slightly realistic

Alvvays, Samia, Bill Ryder-Jones, Everything Everything, Lomelda, Slow Pulp, Feeble Little Horse, PUP, Wonder Years, Gouyrella/ Ferry Corsten, Brutus, Smith Street Band, Grouplove, Charlotte Sands, Soccer Mommy, Touche Amore

7 hours ago, Benj said:

Few who I'm hoping for now I'm going. Wish-list rather than necessarily available/ slightly realistic

Alvvays, Samia, Bill Ryder-Jones, Everything Everything, Lomelda, Slow Pulp, Feeble Little Horse, PUP, Wonder Years, Gouyrella/ Ferry Corsten, Brutus, Smith Street Band, Grouplove, Charlotte Sands, Soccer Mommy, Touche Amore

I know you said wish list, but just to note that the Wonder Years said that Slam Dunk were their only UK shows this year when I saw them last November