2024 Festival

Chad888

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

Courteeners and Rage? 😂

Thankfully COVID made sure that didn't happen.

Libertines and Kendrick is another contender. Going even further back to 2001, Travis being subbed by Green Day!

17 minutes ago, VCK2 said:

I'd imagine the Chevron stage is an open air stage, as I can't see The Prodigy being booked to play a tent, but an open air stage that is smaller than MSW and located in MSW's place.

Download 2006 was absolutely mental in a tent. I wouldn't discount it.

11 minutes ago, VCK2 said:

I know it's a different crowd nowadays, and it was 15 years ago, but their Main Stage set in 2009 was a bloodbath and a huge contributor to why the Main Stage at Leeds got moved further to the right, to allow more crowd space and avoid potential crushes. I can see them being a pretty big draw even up against Blink so I'd say it'd be logical to put them on an open air stage.

Oh yeah I got completely f**ked up in that crowd and was suffering for the rest of the weekend because of it, but that was during their big popularity comeback and the Reading/Leeds crowd is massively different now. I think them in a tent would be an absolute sweat box, but I really don’t think it would be dangerously overcrowded or anything.

Seeing some people on socials say they’ve heard that Chevron is essentially just the return of an NME-sized stage, but not sure if they’re just speculating or actually know something. 

Maybe the stages will work like this: 

Main - open air 

Chevron - the old R1 big tent

Radio 1 - the old Dance tent 

FR - same as it ever was 

I think the only other stage that will get added is the BBC Introducing because why wouldn’t they announce at least some artists for another tent stage if they had one?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cammers said:

That, or they go for a tent roughly the size of the old R1 stage with the extended outside area with sound system and screens etc for when/if it's rammed. Could work if they're stacking the main stage with "two headliners" each night to spread the crowd, especially if they mean to clash/overlap some acts. 

And what's the consensus on the "headliners"? Surely you can't bill all 6 as headliners unless they rotate them between sites?! 

Its what used to happen no worries at all for years and years pre 2020

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Also, it’s really struck me; has R&L exited its Drill phase!?

People did discuss on this thread a while back (to some ridicule) that the 1xtra stage had served its purpose, and the bleed of rap music onto the main stage as a staple was a calling card for its death

It was so dead last year, that was the nail in its coffin for sure

12 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I think that the festival should give @Benjside of stage access on the Radio 1 Stage all weekend as a thank you for his relentless, admirable (but often bloody annoying 😂) campaign for its return. Hard work pays off, kids. 

Hahaha, given the fact the main reason I wanted a proper second stage back for was for choice, forcing me to watch the same stage ALL day from the side would probably be both the prize and punishment I deserve!

9 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Maybe the stages will work like this: 

Main - open air 

Chevron - the old R1 big tent

Radio 1 - the old Dance tent 

FR - same as it ever was 

I think the only other stage that will get added is the BBC Introducing because why wouldn’t they announce at least some artists for another tent stage if they had one?

Reckon that’s it. Makes sense on pretty much every level. 

Ultimately we’re still two stages down on 2019 but I can’t help thinking it’s still much better than the last 3 years with loads of relatively big name, different stuff for people to see throughout the day

Likes of Japanese House and Mannequin Pussy (and loads I don’t personally know no doubt) seems to show that they’re trying to offer some niche more culty stuff again and not just one hit popular crap

Edited by Benj

12 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Get The Story So Far added to the Main Stage on Blink day. They’re over here touring with them anyway. THERE’S NO EXCUSE. 

Parker has the stage presence of a wet fish, that's why. Would prefer any other hc pop punk band. Get Koyo over here

3 minutes ago, nathanh said:

This begs the question 6 headliners or less for 2025

If it means they can bag acts like Lana in sub slots then aye they'll keep marketing it that way. Also dampens any potential uproar from people who would be upset about them binning off 2 main stages and therefore 3 headliners.

5 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

If it means they can bag acts like Lana in sub slots then aye they'll keep marketing it that way. Also dampens any potential uproar from people who would be upset about them binning off 2 main stages and therefore 3 headliners.

Yeah, some years I’m sure it’ll end up being three headliners and three subs very obviously marketed as headliners, but makes total sense for those years when they have four or even five headliner sized acts willing to do it, and just gives the illusion of the lineups being stronger than they sometimes are. 

I still can’t believe Militarie Gun are there. My eyes went straight to those bottom stages and I legit shouted ‘OHHHHH!’ when I saw them. My favourite new band of the last year and one of my favourite albums from last year (made my top 3). OOH OOH!

• Like 1