2024 Festival

Chad888

56 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I'm looking at my prediction poster for last year and I got 8 out of 18 right, including Killers, 1975, Capaldi, Sam Fender as 4 of the 7 headliners we were given.

RL24.jpg

BBC 3rd on the bill in 2024 🙈 

Although does anyone know how well their ‘secret set’ did crowd wise? Not seen a single peep about it anywhere

Again they need a big tent and enough other similar bookings to draw in a crowd. Otherwise with that lineup they’re not getting anyone turning up, esp as they’re not really gonna get your main stream dark fruiters at all. 

Otherwise quite like it. Also like BBC but can’t see them in that slot at all

Edited by Benj

3 minutes ago, Benj said:

Although does anyone know how well their ‘secret set’ did crowd wise? Not seen a single peep about it anywhere

Again they need a big tent and enough other similar bookings to draw in a crowd. Otherwise with that lineup they’re not getting anyone turning up, esp as they’re not really gonna get your main stream dark fruiters at all. 

The actual lineup won't be anywhere near as stacked as that, so if you think this is bad...

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

The actual lineup won't be anywhere near as stacked as that, so if you think this is bad...

Quite like it and wouldn’t mind BBC there myself at all, it’s just not a 2 main stage format Reading 2024 booking in any way, shape, or form.

Otherwise for Chad’s sometimes eccentric views, it’s pretty decent, although as you say,  a little too good to be true

Had a go at a rough setup that still keeps both Main Stages but reintroduces the big NME/R1 tent and has a merged Dance & 1Xtra tent, christened as the BBC Sound Stage. 

MSE: Post Malone / Two Door Cinema Club / PinkPantheress 

MSW: Kasabian / Jamie T / Ashnikko

NME/R1: The Wombats / girl in red

BBC SOUND: JPEGMAFIA x Danny Brown 

FR: Nova Twins 

MSE: Travis Scott / Ice Spice / Rex Orange County 

MSW: Fred again.. / Little Simz / beabadoobee

NME/R1: IDLES / Bombay Bicycle Club 

BBC SOUND: Mahalia 

FR: Skindred 

MSE: Blink-182 / YUNGBLUD / Pendulum 

MSW: Tyler, the Creator / Tom Grennan / Lil Yachty 

NME/R1: Headie One / Madison Beer 

BBC SOUND: Sub Focus 

FR: Pale Waves 

Quick side note: I can’t actually see this setup happening because having two main stages and an NME surely isn’t possible as there isn't enough big artists to go around every year. 

Edited by Andre91

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Looked to me like the tent was pretty busy, but we were 2-3 rows back so that’s based off the screens + turning around. Honestly a really good way to kick off the festival, but I imagine any buzz gets lost when you open a weekend with so much going on. 

I would say they’re a bit too high on that poster, though.

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

This would bang. Obviously unrealistic but it’s got killer variety and depth.

Edited by On The Blend

Went over my six a bit before sticking them the other day, so I'll quickly lay out my thinking:

Travis Scott: After a year with sluggish sales and no hip-hop crossover among six headliners, feel R+L will return to the pool. Came down to whether they would swing for Post Malone once again, or if they'd push for Scott after Wireless. Toss of a coin.

Fred Again: Seems to have gone absolutely stratospheric in the past year and cannot see him slowing down. Massive crowd at Glastonbury 2023 suggests primed for top slots, and this - very much the sundown position - would play gangbusters.

Blink-182: Arguably unfinished business given 2014, when they last headlined, was pretty shambolic. (At Leeds, at least, and that's just opinion.) Among the pop-punk noughties heavyweights, arguably more clout among demographic than their peers.

Olivia Rodrigo: Re; size - bigger than Lizzo and Doja Cat, probably a step below Eilish, but very much not the case for longer. If one of Scott/Blink/Gallagher were to drop out, I'd be booting her straight to the top. New record should cement.

Liam Gallagher: For all the chatter on an Oasis reunion, if - and it is a big if - it pans out, imagine it will be after the conclusion of touring behind Council Skies for Noel Gallagher. Ergo, another big hurrah for Liam to top the bill at R+L while he waits.

Boygenius: The most interesting pick of the bunch for me, in part because I remain not fully convinced of their size and, as said above, they likely won't tour. But Melvin seems to clearly like them and they had robust sales in London. Not implausible.

A lot of people are suggesting Paramore, and my mate is convinced they are nailed on. But given they will spend all summer in support of Taylor Swift - and to be honest, given their recent material feels a little more... non-demographic, I just can't shake the sense they might be a non-starter.

Of course, R+L books plenty of bands atop the bill without the typical demographic - that's the idea of variety, after all - but there's just something about Paramore, here and now, that makes me hesitant to say they'd be near the top of the list.

In final conclusion, from the above six - Travis Scott or Blink-182 will bail three weeks before, and they will be replaced by The 1975. Thank you and good night.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Had a go at a rough setup that still keeps both Main Stages but reintroduces the big NME/R1 tent and has a merged Dance & 1Xtra tent, christened as the BBC Sound Stage. 

Quick side note: I can’t actually see this setup happening because having two main stages and an NME surely isn’t possible as there isn't enough big artists to go around every year. 

I still think the sole reason they went to two main stages post COVID was because they were worried they could not fill a bill post COVID with all the competition about and are were simply so blinded by the savings they made, they kept it up, hoping to keep it going...

They obv cant fill what you've suggested, yet it does just about still work if you simply line them up on one main stage alongside the R1, if it being ridiculously strong.  Its the kind of thing Reading could maybe have doned in the 00s, no more though with the competition noe, nicking half the acts...

That said, I've just watched the TPDTV Leeds Vlog and they make loads of subtle and less subtle references as to it being dead compared to usual, so theyre gonna need to do something, unless they have another Arctic Monkeys up their sleeve...

Amazing what a tiny crowd the killers have too, only just up to the second PA stack. Wolf Alice was busier at Reading last year...

10 minutes ago, Benj said:

I still think the sole reason they went to two main stages post COVID was because they were worried they could not fill a bill post COVID with all the competition about and are were simply so blinded by the savings they made, they kept it up, hoping to keep it going...

They obv cant fill what you've suggested, yet it does just about still work if you simply line them up on one main stage alongside the R1, if it being ridiculously strong.  Its the kind of thing Reading could maybe have doned in the 00s, no more though with the competition noe, nicking half the acts...

That said, I've just watched the TPDTV Leeds Vlog and they make loads of subtle and less subtle references as to it being dead compared to usual, so theyre gonna need to do something, unless they have another Arctic Monkeys up their sleeve...

Amazing what a tiny crowd the killers have too, only just up to the second PA stack. Wolf Alice was busier at Reading last year...

The Killers have fully graduated to the Radio 2 demographic, for me. I love them, but outside of that handful of noughties-era singles - Mr. Brightside, HumanSomebody Told MeWhen You Were Young - I just don't think they're going to pull the numbers with the R+L crowd.

That being said, I am surprised it is that small, mostly because it looked pretty robust on the television at Reading. I wonder how much doing a full stadium run last year may have siphoned interest; if this had preceded it, for example, perhaps a few more casual punters would have been hoovered up.

9 minutes ago, raphaella said:

does anyone think dave could be up to headline again?

He’ll headline again at some point, yeah. But I have a feeling he’ll do Glasto first (possibly 2025), so don’t see him back for a few more years yet.

Just now, raphaella said:

yeah, i was reading lots of the other posts and I def think that travis scott has a chance as he's big with the young crowd and im younger and embarassing i havent heard alot of the other bands like the rock ones and stuff so i dont think r&l would do that as the crowd is younger

i can see fred again... tho hes massive

23 minutes ago, raphaella said:

yeah, i was reading lots of the other posts and I def think that travis scott has a chance as he's big with the young crowd and im younger and embarassing i havent heard alot of the other bands like the rock ones and stuff so i dont think r&l would do that as the crowd is younger

Crowd for Travis would be obnoxious as hell. 
I still see him getting his own stand alone shows, if you look at the stage set up for the US tour he’ll want to bring that and it ain’t gonna fit at a festival aha. 

1 hour ago, jcarb said:

I still see him getting his own stand alone shows, if you look at the stage set up for the US tour he’ll want to bring that and it ain’t gonna fit at a festival aha. 

yeah i agree to that 

crowd would be drunk and rowdy as anything and he's to big for festival but id love to see him again

saw him this year and he was well good

Edited by raphaella

Liam Gallagher back is a good shout…

BLINK-182 - Yungblud - Fontaines DC 

OLIVIA RODERIGO - Boygenius - Lil Yachty 

TRAVIS SCOTT - Aitch - Ice Spice

FRED AGAIN - Little Simz - The Vaccines

LIAM GALLAGHER - Jamie T - Headie One

KASABIAN - The Wombats - Tom Grennan 

Edited by Will b

15 hours ago, Chad888 said:

I'm looking at my prediction poster for last year and I got 8 out of 18 right, including Killers, 1975, Capaldi, Sam Fender as 4 of the 7 headliners we were given.

RL24.jpg

AJ isn't a MSW headliner (although apparently j hus is a glasto other headliner so maybe just swap them)

13 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Can't see 3 rap headliners to be honest

9 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Went over my six a bit before sticking them the other day, so I'll quickly lay out my thinking:

Travis Scott: After a year with sluggish sales and no hip-hop crossover among six headliners, feel R+L will return to the pool. Came down to whether they would swing for Post Malone once again, or if they'd push for Scott after Wireless. Toss of a coin.

Fred Again: Seems to have gone absolutely stratospheric in the past year and cannot see him slowing down. Massive crowd at Glastonbury 2023 suggests primed for top slots, and this - very much the sundown position - would play gangbusters.

Blink-182: Arguably unfinished business given 2014, when they last headlined, was pretty shambolic. (At Leeds, at least, and that's just opinion.) Among the pop-punk noughties heavyweights, arguably more clout among demographic than their peers.

Olivia Rodrigo: Re; size - bigger than Lizzo and Doja Cat, probably a step below Eilish, but very much not the case for longer. If one of Scott/Blink/Gallagher were to drop out, I'd be booting her straight to the top. New record should cement.

Liam Gallagher: For all the chatter on an Oasis reunion, if - and it is a big if - it pans out, imagine it will be after the conclusion of touring behind Council Skies for Noel Gallagher. Ergo, another big hurrah for Liam to top the bill at R+L while he waits.

Boygenius: The most interesting pick of the bunch for me, in part because I remain not fully convinced of their size and, as said above, they likely won't tour. But Melvin seems to clearly like them and they had robust sales in London. Not implausible.

A lot of people are suggesting Paramore, and my mate is convinced they are nailed on. But given they will spend all summer in support of Taylor Swift - and to be honest, given their recent material feels a little more... non-demographic, I just can't shake the sense they might be a non-starter.

Of course, R+L books plenty of bands atop the bill without the typical demographic - that's the idea of variety, after all - but there's just something about Paramore, here and now, that makes me hesitant to say they'd be near the top of the list.

In final conclusion, from the above six - Travis Scott or Blink-182 will bail three weeks before, and they will be replaced by The 1975. Thank you and good night.

Boygenius sold 20k in London

Only thing that makes them realistic is that O Rod and Fred are far too stacked as the other two MSW names

Firmly in the rodrigo mse camp to be honest

Edited by gfa

51 minutes ago, Will b said:

Liam Gallagher back is a good shout…

BLINK-182 - Yungblud - Fontaines DC 

OLIVIA RODERIGO - Boygenius - Lil Yachty 

TRAVIS SCOTT - Aitch - Ice Spice

FRED AGAIN - Little Simz - The Vaccines

LIAM GALLAGHER - Jamie T - Headie One

KASABIAN - The Wombats - Tom Grennan 

This would be ace. I hope it’s not this good as I don’t really want to have to go back, haha. 

2 hours ago, jcarb said:

He’s playing standard arenas in the US, the Reading stage is BIG

11 minutes ago, foolee said:

So here for a day with Blink, Yungblud and Olivia Rodrigo. Millennial and Gen Z emo kids unite. 

While these themed days make good day ticket sales, it would be terrible for weekend attendees with no alternative

Imagine being a 16 year old without any interest whatsoever in Oasis/ Dark fruits having to end their festival with 5-6 hours of:

Wombats->Jamie T->Kasabian->Gallagher 

The campsite would be in absolute ruins!

Another fine mess they’ve got themselves into with no second stage

Edited by Benj