Trainwreck:Woodstock '99 Netflix Doc

glimmers_of_hope

1 hour ago, jump said:

The Netflix one is fine but I've seen better ones about it. The best retrospective I've found was on a podcast but I can't remember it's name.

As shit as Woodstock must have been for people and as idiotic as it to say well heavy music made them do it after watching the series I do miss bands having a sense of danger to them from those days even if it is Limp Bizkit. Watching Sam Fender even with a saxaphone solo is dull!

I kind of know what you mean. I cant wait until I see IDLES live for the first time, my brother saw them at Glasto this year and said it was so intense !!

My first Leeds was 2003 when SOAD played with no secondary barrier, that was crazy, as was Marilyn Manson in 2005.  

17 minutes ago, swede said:

We had a big group that went to Leeds Fest from 2005-2008. I remember in 2008 the campsite looking like a warzone on the Sunday night/Monday morning. Huge fires and canister explosions everywhere, we all sort of knew leaving that was the last one for us as a group. 

I went back camping with just my partner in 2011 and the set up felt dated and worn out, I've been a few times with day tickets, getting the shuttle bus in from 2015-2019 and have loved treating it as just a gig with no camping and how different it felt to 2011. Took the kids in 2019 to see Billie Eilish and Twenty One Pilots and they loved it. 

We had a group of around 15 of us that that started going to Reading in 1999 , the group kept getting bigger and bigger, until 35 of us went in 2008 (great year socially around the campsite!)...after that it started to tail off....year by year a few less came as people as either they started to feel too old for it, preferred other festivals or got married/bought houses/had kids etc a small group of us kept going , until 2015 when it was just me and one other mate and I decided that was it for me.  I felt too old (34 at the time), we had kids throwing tins of beans across the campsite which exploded on our tent, and crap everywhere like a warzone.

In terms of rioting Reading 2000 was the worst I ever saw, every portaloo tipped over, all our stuff got robbed (I came home with my tent and the clothes I had put on the sunday morning), cannisters exploded everywhere, mass fires with it looking like something like lord of the flies and general anarchy.  2008 and 2009 were similar and that's when it really got clamped down on afterwards as 2010 onwards the security were all over it and I've not heard much problems since.

I went back last year on a day ticket for Liam Gallagher, and like you say its nicer to just go in for the day into the arena and treat it like a gig rather than a camping festival.  This year I'm doing the same for the Sunday for RATM with a few mates, although now I also have day tickets for the Saturday too as a mate of mine can't go anymore so sold his day tickets to me and my girlfriend last week as she's a massive AM fan so really wants to see them...will be a bit odd going in for two days, not camping and having to commute back and forth from a 40 min drive away but hopefully will work out ok. 🙂 

15 minutes ago, swede said:

I kind of know what you mean. I cant wait until I see IDLES live for the first time, my brother saw them at Glasto this year and said it was so intense !!

My first Leeds was 2003 when SOAD played with no secondary barrier, that was crazy, as was Marilyn Manson in 2005.  

Was 2003 the year that Foo Fighters played at Leeds? Crowd starting throwing bottles/beer cans etc at each other. It was a bit mental.  Guys spilt open. Foo's had to stop playing for a bit.

19 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

We had a group of around 15 of us that that started going to Reading in 1999 , the group kept getting bigger and bigger, until 35 of us went in 2008 (great year socially around the campsite!)...after that it started to tail off....year by year a few less came as people as either they started to feel too old for it, preferred other festivals or got married/bought houses/had kids etc a small group of us kept going , until 2015 when it was just me and one other mate and I decided that was it for me.  I felt too old (34 at the time), we had kids throwing tins of beans across the campsite which exploded on our tent, and crap everywhere like a warzone.

In terms of rioting Reading 2000 was the worst I ever saw, every portaloo tipped over, all our stuff got robbed (I came home with my tent and the clothes I had put on the sunday morning), cannisters exploded everywhere, mass fires with it looking like something like lord of the flies and general anarchy.  2008 and 2009 were similar and that's when it really got clamped down on afterwards as 2010 onwards the security were all over it and I've not heard much problems since.

I went back last year on a day ticket for Liam Gallagher, and like you say its nicer to just go in for the day into the arena and treat it like a gig rather than a camping festival.  This year I'm doing the same for the Sunday for RATM with a few mates, although now I also have day tickets for the Saturday too as a mate of mine can't go anymore so sold his day tickets to me and my girlfriend last week as she's a massive AM fan so really wants to see them...will be a bit odd going in for two days, not camping and having to commute back and forth from a 40 min drive away but hopefully will work out ok. 🙂 

I've did two days in 2016 getting the shuttle bus in each day and it was great. 

13 minutes ago, Meself said:

Was 2003 the year that Foo Fighters played at Leeds? Crowd starting throwing bottles/beer cans etc at each other. It was a bit mental.  Guys spilt open. Foo's had to stop playing for a bit.

2005 was when Foo's headlined on the Sunday. 2003 was Metallica, Linkin Park and Blur. 

3 hours ago, cheakypeak said:

This is on my watch list so interested to hear other people's feedback.  Apparently the Music Box doc about Woodstock '99 (on NowTV/Sky) is a better watch than this new series but I need to choose one or the other!

Ah I didn't know there was another doc. I will watch that as well if it is still on Now TV.

• Upvote 1

Every trailer I've seen of this event makes it sound like an absolute shitshow. The comparison to the original Woodstock was in name only.

The HBO trailer is pretty funny tho trying to connect "young white men" and the situation of 2021, via Reddit. Seems a bit racist/far-fetched/CNN-bullshit, to me, given the horrible conditions of the festival and the outrageous searches taking people's water or snacks off them as they arrived.

You treat people like animals in a pen, they're gonna start acting like animals in a pen.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Well they were selling water at the original Woodstock too!

But yeah, the frat house American types are the worst. Spring Break mode all the time

These tossers

If you watch all gas no brakes or channel 5 on youtube they do several episodes which are 4 July celebrations on a beach or talladega stuff like that. It really is a weird culture. 

1 hour ago, swede said:

We had a big group that went to Leeds Fest from 2005-2008. I remember in 2008 the campsite looking like a warzone on the Sunday night/Monday morning. Huge fires and canister explosions everywhere, we all sort of knew leaving that was the last one for us as a group. 

I went back camping with just my partner in 2011 and the set up felt dated and worn out, I've been a few times with day tickets, getting the shuttle bus in from 2015-2019 and have loved treating it as just a gig with no camping and how different it felt to 2011. Took the kids in 2019 to see Billie Eilish and Twenty One Pilots and they loved it. 

Reading campsites always were pretty gross, I was there 05 - 09 and then a day in 11 and my wife vowed we would never camp there again in 09 after...a.) kids playing what they called "dangercan" outside our tent, which was basically throwing an aerosol on a fire and jumping over it until it exploded. B.) Someone so wasted that they shit into their own hand and then wiped it on a fence. C.) Finding a poo covered by a crisp packet inches from the front of our tent. D.) Someone playing a cassette where the only song was the theme from Grange Hill on repeat all through the night. It might sound hilarious but the joke wore very thin. 

19 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Reading campsites always were pretty gross, I was there 05 - 09 and then a day in 11 and my wife vowed we would never camp there again in 09 after...a.) kids playing what they called "dangercan" outside our tent, which was basically throwing an aerosol on a fire and jumping over it until it exploded. B.) Someone so wasted that they shit into their own hand and then wiped it on a fence. C.) Finding a poo covered by a crisp packet inches from the front of our tent. D.) Someone playing a cassette where the only song was the theme from Grange Hill on repeat all through the night. It might sound hilarious but the joke wore very thin. 

Which version?

29 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

My brother found a turd in a crisp packet outside his tent in 2004, that place was indeed mental from 2003-2008, much prefer festivals as they are now tbh. 

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Every trailer I've seen of this event makes it sound like an absolute shitshow. The comparison to the original Woodstock was in name only.

The HBO trailer is pretty funny tho trying to connect "young white men" and the situation of 2021, via Reddit. Seems a bit racist/far-fetched/CNN-bullshit, to me, given the horrible conditions of the festival and the outrageous searches taking people's water or snacks off them as they arrived.

You treat people like animals in a pen, they're gonna start acting like animals in a pen.

Yeah, there was a bit in this which was saying that late 90's was bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky scandal and fight club was a really popular movie and all that played into the feeling of the time, implication was that that was a factor... but if you get a load of young people onto a military base, don't have adequate facilities, rip them off, and then get them hyped up there are likely to be issues. 

11 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Yeah, there was a bit in this which was saying that late 90's was bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky scandal and fight club was a really popular movie and all that played into the feeling of the time, implication was that that was a factor... but if you get a load of young people onto a military base, don't have adequate facilities, rip them off, and then get them hyped up there are likely to be issues. 

Kid Rock during his set said "Monica Lewinskis a fuckin' ho and Bill Clintons a god damn pimp". 🙄 Place went nuts.

This sort of adolescent shithousery sells well in the US.

5da6f8dfc9ad984f2c5106642b7b3acc.jpg

As another famous bellend plays up to

5d1cec0e21a86105406f6464?width=700

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Kid Rock during his set said "Monica Lewinskis a fuckin' ho and Bill Clintons a god damn pimp". 🙄 Place went nuts.

Wow, didn't know that. Couple of goombas. I hate kid rock. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Sells well at the farm too - 

https://mixmag.net/feature/fuck-boris-glastonbury-2019-stormzy-loyle-carner-sports-banger-mega-rave

https://www.indy100.com/showbiz/stormzy-boris-johnson-glastonbury-viral-watch-video-8980206

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

12 hours ago, jump said:

No one is saying I wish the band would tell me to start a fire now. It's more of the decline of heavy music and bands that have a rock and roll swagger in the mainstream. Like Download just had KISS headline as that's how desperate they are for acts, whilst they are still some heavy acts coming through they aren't breaking into the mainstream the same way as Rage Against The Machine, Limp Bizkit, Korn etc did and alot of the bigger heavy acts in recent years which are breaking through into the mainstream like Ghost or You Me At Six are fairly tame in comparison.

"Heavy music" and "rock and roll swagger" was always white, exclusionary, and just a bunch of over-privileged men throwing their toys out of the pram for no reason.

The cutting edge moved on to dance, and electronic music. I imagine NYC Downlow would give you a greater sense of danger than Korn ever did.

Edited by Isaact
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Kid Rock insulting an intern abused by the most powerful man on the planet.

People insulting one of the most privileged and powerful people in the UK.

These things are definitely exactly the same.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, Isaact said:

"Heavy music" and "rock and roll swagger" was always white, exclusionary, and just a bunch of over-privileged men throwing their toys out of the pram for no reason.

The cutting edge moved on to dance, and electronic music. I imagine NYC Downlow would give you a greater sense of danger than Korn ever did.

I’m not sure about exclusionary, most of the gigs I go to are DIY punks bands who are preaching about inclusion. A good few of them aren’t even white men either. 

NYC Downlow is cool but it isn’t even an artist.

8 hours ago, Isaact said:

Kid Rock insulting an intern abused by the most powerful man on the planet.

People insulting one of the most privileged and powerful people in the UK.

These things are definitely exactly the same.

Protecting a Left-Wing Pres vs attacking a Right-Wing Conservative is not the same, you're right. Never said they're the same in that regard. I wonder how much protection Corbyn/Starmer/Biden would get as PM/Pres, prob a lot. If you're politics fits and all that.

Both immature shithousery tho.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Just reading up on the Woodstock 99 festival, I see The Who’s John Entwistle played a solo set on the ‘Emerging Artists’ stage. What a joke.

Also, as the water supplies were inadequate, and people were washing in the drinking water tubs, those desperate for a drink hacked into the water pipe, creating a sea of mud. So they were all diving into the mud, without realising much of it was the waste leaking out of the toilets.

I wish I’d been there….